Panorama last night

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Poor Simon and Simone. Simon is so playful and the "care" workers just used that against him to physically assault him. It was horrible when his mother watched a care worker just slap him round the face for no reason. One of the experts said that they were so incompetent, they were just goading vulnerable people so that they could restrain them and they were right. Felt bad for Simone's parents they coped with her for all those years and placed their trust in people they thought would be able to handle her outbursts better. As shocking as it was the parents had to see that hidden footage.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Whilst I totally agree people working in the industry should have the appropriate qualifications, the truth of the matter is there simply wouldn't be enough people to do the job and places would be even more understaffed.

Also many of the people doing the job are mothers who need some cash and do it whilst the kids are in school or housewives that do it to get out of the house.

There is absolutely no excuse for not having a CRB though.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve™ wrote: »
    You cannot ban them, but I do think that EVERY care home needs an independent vetted audited member of a governing body who overseas everything that goes on.

In addition I would make law that every care home has cameras in every room and that equipment recording is in a locked safe room.

The programme illustrates not the weak vulnerable so much as the sick evil twisted a**holes that are able to obtain jobs in the "care" sector.

DISGUSTING.:mad:
    Just logged on and cannot believe what I have just witnessed.on panorama.The reaction of the board member: no sympathy just defence of his staff checks and the failure of the checks. Why are these people in such high position and why do they not show regret and disgust, for all they seem to do is defend themselves. They refuse to admit they have erred... Surely carehomes must require cameras in all rooms.I have never been so upset and ashamed. There will be no doubt and no suprise if the wicked and sadistic members of staff get a light sentence(if that at all) and play the victim. Simon and Simone I pray God's blessing on you and your families. Thank God for Journalists such as Ben Casey..
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Couldn't believe the CQC guy trying to dispute the fact that they had failed. What is the point of a regulator if this kind of systematic abuse can go on for so long unchecked? Even worse that what was going on had been alerted to them by the whistleblower - it should not take an investigative journalist to expose it.

An absolute disgrace. It was completely distressing to watch. The abuse of Simone in particular had me in tears.

Yes total agreement here, you summed it all up for me, had trouble articulating into words but you have just echoed my thoughts. There needs to be a debate on TV like the Nicky campbell debate, someone fearless should pose the questions and get some answers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched. Feel sickened.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it on I-Player tonight. I'd heard how bad it was, but until you see it you can't actually believe how bad it was. It did make me cry and it made me angry.

How can someone that is responsible for the care of another human treat them like that?

It looked like they were just doing it to entertain themselves and provoking vulnerable people so that they could restrain them.

It was absolutely appalling.

What was the CQC inspecting when they went into this place and how many other places like this are out there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    When I first heard about this programme and the whole 'care home abuse' thing, I thought it was going to feature the kind of abuse where patients are left in a bad way while the workers simply dont do their job properly, e.g left in the same clothes in bed for days on end, that kind of thing. I had no idea that this programme would show us horrendous real life graphic torture of mentally ill people!

I can certainly say that I believe this is programme was one of the most horrific, upsetting and disturbing things that I have ever seen on TV not just recently, but in my entire life. I reckon that in 10 years time when I remember things on TV that seriously disturbed me, then I certainly will still rank this programme as one of them. Its been several days since I viewed it and can still vividly remember everything as if I had just watched the programme an hour ago, which certainly is not very pleasant :(

Im suprised this was ever allowed on TV to be honest, and was it shown to the police first? If it was just put on TV without showing it to authorities etc then I believe that is very sick indeed. This kind of footage really is not meant to be shown as prime time entertainment on TV, its to be shown in court!

If these people are not arrested and locked away for many many years then there is something seriously wrong with this countries justice system! These are not just 'allegations' made against Wayne and his troops, there is full blown video evidence not just shown in court but shown to the whole country. For christ sake it makes me sick that this man and others even are living, let alone walking our streets.