well done - I take it you meant larry:D

Haha yes I did :)
  • john_hunterjohn_hunter Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the latest OS version??
  • Adam NortonAdam Norton Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I had a 1TB box that died that was out of warrenty and not purchased from Sky, to replace it Sky wanted me to pay £149 for a new box. But I said I was unable to pay this and since my 12 months is nearly up I was going to consider cancelling my account.

As I have multiroom, apparently I was told as I have two HD Packs I can upgrade my standard HD box (250GB) box to a 1TB box for £49.00, I was asked if I wanted a Self Install or Engineer, I selected Self Install and this was for free apparently.

So I have a new 1TB box to arrive on Wednesday, shame I had to pay £49.00 but much better than having to pay £149.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I have a new 1TB box to arrive on Wednesday, shame I had to pay £49.00 but much better than having to pay £149.

With all due respect, you already stated the box was out of warranty, who else would let you have brand new replacement goods for a fraction of their retail value? Most companies would say you'd have to buy brand new.

The price you paid is even cheaper than a call out charge, where you would have got a refurb box, so don't see what you have to moan about really.
    Forum Member
    I didn't state I was moaning or unhappy. I just told Sky I was unable to afford the replacement cost at this current time, and only threw in that I would have to cancel my Sky account as it would be pointless have the subscription + multiroom whilst only one box was still working, until it was viable to purchase a replacement 1TB box.

Saying "shame I had to pay" wasn't moaning, the box was only 1 week out of warranty anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all due respect, you already stated the box was out of warranty, who else would let you have brand new replacement goods for a fraction of their retail value?

Quite a lot of companys actually if you know your rights and explain the sales of goods act to them.

I had a Sony laptop that was 3months out of warranty fully refunded by comet when it failed.

Know your rights under the SofG Act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    red6000 wrote: »
    Quite a lot of companys actually if you know your rights and explain the sales of goods act to them.

I had a Sony laptop that was 3months out of warranty fully refunded by comet when it failed.

Know your rights under the SofG Act.

They probably only gave you that to get your moaning face out of the shop, upsetting other customers.

As far as i was aware, you have to prove that the goods were faulty, at your cost, if you consider the supplier is being unreasonable.
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably only gave you that to get your moaning face out of the shop, upsetting other customers.
    Wow didn't somebody get out the wrong side of the bed this morning!

No-one should pay Sky anything for a box that has failed one week outside the warranty period. Adam expressed his point of view and didn't whinge and moan like so many on here.

If I were him I would try a firm but polite e-mail to Jeremy Darroch as frankly, unless he (Adam) did something stupid to break the unit it was obviously a duff one if it only lasted for 53 weeks. Were it me, I would have expected at the very least a free refurbished replacement or I would have cancelled and gone to FreeSat. Love Film is better for movies and the pub is a good replacement for the sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »
    No-one should pay Sky anything for a box that has failed one week outside the warranty period. Adam expressed his point of view and didn't whinge and moan like so many on here.

To be fair, he never said it was 1 week out of warranty until afterwards, obviously he should kick up a fuss if that is the case, but he never mentioned this in his first post, just that it was out of warranty, and being happy to pay for the didn't point to it "just" being out of warranty.

If people gave full facts in teh first place.........
    Forum Member
    The Hard Drive failed in the first one, it hasn't been removed but since day one it had continued to make chattering noises, but then obviously eventually had when, the box just gets confused when I turn it on and I can't hear the hard drive anymore, so I emailed Jeremy Darroch, as I now only deal with Sky in this way, so that I now I am talking to people who are helpful and by email so I have a paper trail.

But as the box wasn't purchased directly from Sky they couldn't warrant a replacement even if it was out of warranty by 1 week, and sadly the the online retalier I bought it from (satbuyer) wouldn't honour the warranty, I only bought it from them as they were cheaper than Sky went the 1TB box first came out last year, as it was £299 instead of Sky's price of £349.

I accept the fact I didn't mention the box only just being out of warranty, when I first emailed Sky. I was only posting in this thread so say I had got a new 1TB box for £49, and thought it would help people to know that if Sky are going to heavily discount one person from £249 to £149 to £49, then it would be helpful for some other people to know, if they have a faulty box from SKY directly that is still in warranty, or whatever the case may be and they wanted a 1TB box as a replacement, Sky will go down to as lower as £49.

I didn't post my original post to moan, I was just stated what happened in my latest experience with Sky.

In fact, every time I have emailed Jeremy Darroch, I have got create customer support, even when Sky kept switching off my HD Pack on one box and moving it from box to box every couple of weeks (never did get to the bottom of that), but goes a 6 month half price goodwill gesture and a refund on my HD Pack. Must of been a gremlin in the system.