The Hunger Games - out 23rd March

Comments

• circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not read books, other than the premise being like running man and battle royale i have no idea what to expect in this film

quite hyped for it!
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone here know if the UK DVD will be the Uncut feature?!?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this may sound a little petty but i am still pissed of a the BBFC for cutting the film a little! i dont get why they could show when the Basalisk's fang entered Harrys arm in CoS and that was a PG (That was just as gruesome is you ask me) yet they cut out a little blood here and there because it was a 12A!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I know this may sound a little petty but i am still pissed of a the BBFC for cutting the film a little! i dont get why they could show when the Basalisk's fang entered Harrys arm in CoS and that was a PG (That was just as gruesome is you ask me) yet they cut out a little blood here and there because it was a 12A!

I would think it was because Harry potter was more popular at that point, which meant they could push the boundaries on the ratings a bit more.
    Providing THG is a success hopefully they'll be more lenient with Catching fire.....well I hope so :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Battle Royale is on TV :D

Saturday 17th March
    11:10
    Film4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think it was because Harry potter was more popular at that point, which meant they could push the boundaries on the ratings a bit more.
    Providing THG is a success hopefully they'll be more lenient with Catching fire.....well I hope so :)

I understand that but to be it just seems wrong, kind of like favouritism! But on a brighter note! IT IS PREMIER DAY!
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battle Royale is on TV :D

Saturday 17th March
    11:10
    Film4

The Running Man is on the 16th too I believe. Film4 timing them well.

Haven't seen either of them so may take a look, however nothing will take away the excitement I have for this film right now. :D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    At the end of "The Hunger Games", the producers should add a twist ending where the Capitol announces that CAPTAIN FREEDOM is coming out of retirement to finish off any remaining children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what time it starts as Yahoo is messing me abouut, but theu are showing the UK premiere live at

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/hunger-games/

The stars are due to arrive from 5pm so i would guess the streaming starts at about 4-4.30. I can't see them doing more than an hour of asking fans questions to kill time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I understand that but to be it just seems wrong, kind of like favouritism! But on a brighter note! IT IS PREMIER DAY!

It is wrong, but all we can do is grin and bare it. I'm still getting the uncut american dvd though :p

I'm so hyped up for this movie, its unbelivable, I don't think I was even this excited for harry potter :p can't wait to watch the premier :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member

According to someone posting on the Premiere's FB page via mobile there's room for about 1000 and at time of posting (8.30am) there were already about 300 people there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hello. wrote: »
    The Running Man is on the 16th too I believe. Film4 timing them well.

Haven't seen either of them so may take a look, however nothing will take away the excitement I have for this film right now. :D

I thought they were timing them well too. You should check them out if you get the chance, especially Battle Royale, because it is a weirdly amazing film for it's subject matter. The books good too, not so keen on the manga.

I read The Hunger Games first and loved it and I am super excited for the films (not so keen on them splitting Mockingjay, because I didn't get on well with that book) but that got me into Battle Royale, which is far superior in my opinion. (Takashi Tsukamoto's presence in the film may have skewed my opinion though).
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    I know this may sound a little petty but i am still pissed of a the BBFC for cutting the film a little!
    They didn't cut the film. The level of violence of the initial film resulted in a 15 certificate - it was the film company who decided to cut it to get a 12A and a larger audience.

BBFC are just doing their jobs. Whether you agree with their rating is a whole other issue, but the decision to cut to achieve 12A wasn't theirs.

As ever, money talks. The film company are to blame for you not seeing the uncut film in UK cinema. They simply wanted the extra dosh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barelyreal wrote: »
    I thought they were timing them well too. You should check them out if you get the chance, especially Battle Royale, because it is a weirdly amazing film for it's subject matter. The books good too, not so keen on the manga.

I read The Hunger Games first and loved it and I am super excited for the films (not so keen on them splitting Mockingjay, because I didn't get on well with that book) but that got me into Battle Royale, which is far superior in my opinion. (Takashi Tsukamoto's presence in the film may have skewed my opinion though).
    I'll definitely take a look. :) I don't think I will prefer Battle Royale just because I do like a bit more backstory and someone to route for (which I hear isn't the case in Battle Royale, could be wrong), however I know for a fact from seeing the trailer that I will love it nevertheless.

As for Mockingjay possibly being split, I admittedly found the book slow and hard to get into compared to the previous 2 books, but something tells me film versions would fix any problems and that Mockingjay would be a brilliant couple of films. I wouldn't say I was disappointed in the book, I was happy with Collins' choices regarding deaths etc, but it was my least favourite read of the 3. It seemed longer than it was, so I think there is enough content to split in there somehow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBFC have a released a detailed description of the reason for the rating and certain cuts (and wow is it long and detailed).

I have to say I am annoyed that the UK is the only country to have to watch a neutered version but I do respect the BBFC for the explanation and clear reasoning:

Only sad thing is that
    it sounds like the scene with Clove threatening Katniss has been removed/ severely watered down
    THE HUNGER GAMES is an adaptation of the first novel in the 'Hunger Games' trilogy by Suzanne Collins. The film is set in North America in the future where a totalitarian government requires an annual tribute from each section of the country. This tribute takes the form of a girl and boy who must compete in a televised 'hunger game' in which the participants are placed in a large outdoor environment that can be manipulated by the authorities. Only one competitor can survive and win the 'game', killing off their rivals if necessary, although it is also possible for competitors to die as a result of accidents or exposure. The film focusses on one participant in particular, Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers to be a tribute in place of her younger sister. The film was classified '12A' for intense threat, moderate violence and occasional gory moments.

The BBFC's Guidelines at '12A'/'12' state 'Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context'. Once the competition begins, there are a number of sequences in which the participants fight against one another and there is sight of competitors being killed and injured. When the film was seen for advice, in an incomplete version, the BBFC informed the company that certain sequences placed an emphasis on blood and injuries that was unlikely to be acceptable at '12A'. Accordingly, four scenes of violence and one scene showing injuries were reduced by cuts and by the darkening of certain shots. When the finished version of the film was submitted for formal classification, four further cuts were required to remove some remaining sight of blood and injuries that breached the terms of the '12A'/'12' Guidelines. The violence that remains in the classified version of the film is generally undetailed and there is no dwelling on detail. Much of the violence occurs offscreen and there is far less detail of violence than in the novel on which the film is based.

Inevitably given the narrative, there is a certain sense of threat hanging over the central characters from the start of the film. They know they will have to take part in an event that they may not survive. However, this underlying sense of threat is not realised until the second half of the film, in which the 'game' begins. Even when the 'game' commences, this sense of threat is broken up by other episodes and there is a strong emphasis placed on the ingenuity of the central character in hiding herself or working with other competitors in order to survive. The central character does not initiate violence and a clear distinction is made between the 'bad' characters who are prepared to use violence in order to win and the 'good' characters who avoid conflict. The sense of threat is further reduced by the developing relationship between Katniss and the other tribute from her sector, for whom she begins to develop feelings. We also see the development of a mutually supportive relationship between Katniss and another female competitor. The Guidelines at '12A'/'12' state 'Moderate physical and psychological threat may be permitted, provided disturbing sequences are not frequent or sustained'. The more threatening sequences are well broken up by other material and are not individually sustained. The BBFC had regard to the fact that the concept of gladiatorial contests is likely to be familiar to persons aged 12-14 and that the film is based upon a well known novel that is widely read by people in this age group. The story has some similarities to 'The Lord of the Flies', which also features violence between young people and which is taught in schools. The Guidelines at '12A'/'12' state 'Mature themes are acceptable but their treatment must be acceptable for young teenagers'. Although the concept of young people being forced to fight one another is a potentially disturbing one, the futuristic and fantastical nature of the setting distances the sense of threat from reality and young teenagers are likely to understand that the film, like the novel, is a critique of violence and a critique of media manipulation, with which they will be familiar from reality TV. The overall message of the film is a moral one and THE HUNGER GAMES is likely to provoke reflection about violence, exploitation and manipulation.

The film also features scenes in which characters practice with, and later use, a variety of weapons, including bladed weapons and bows and arrows. The Guidelines at '12A'/'12' state 'Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised'. There is no glamorisation of weapons, which are generally used by the 'bad' characters rather than by the heroes. The futuristic and fantastical setting further distances the use of weapons in THE HUNGER GAMES from the use of weapons in a credible real world setting. In the version of the film seen for advice, there was a sequence in which a blade is sadistically held to a character's face. This shot has been removed from the classified version of the film.

In one scene, the participants are attacked by wasp-like creatures that inject powerful hallucinogens into their victims. This results in Katniss experiencing hallucinations, which are vividly depicted. However, there is no deliberate use of drugs in the film.

Parents can find additional information about the content of this film if they visit www.pbbfc.co.uk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBFC have a released a detailed description of the reason for the rating and certain cuts (and wow is it long and detailed).

I have to say I am annoyed that the UK is the only country to have to watch a neutered version but I do respect the BBFC for the explanation and clear reasoning:

Only sad thing is that
    it sounds like the scene with Clove threatening Katniss has been removed/ severely watered down

Yesterday, I randomly skipped to chapter 21 and re-read the Katniss/ Clove/ Thresh scene and decided it was the one I was looking forward to the most.

Now I'm just worried about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only sad thing is that

GRRRR made up my mind! im getting the US DVD! they are sooo prudish!
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I saw the film tonight . The first 250 people at the u.k premier also got to watch the film .

I enjoyed it but some things bugged me like they don't explore the rue and katiness friendship enough which was really enjoyable in the books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were the cuts noticeable or bothersome in any way?
    Forum Member
    PR0J3CT wrote: »
    Were the cuts noticeable or bothersome in any way?

Nope the opening of the cornutopia( totally spelt this wrong ) was really well done .

The one thing that struck me as odd was the fact
    that in district 12 that they had big screens in there house , so unlike in the book where you had to watch it all together in the square or face death - you saw prim and her mum watching it on a big screen at home - also gale refused to watch the opening of the hunger games so you see him sitting on a big green hill sulking .
  • *Elle*90*Elle*90 Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    Nope the opening of the cornutopia( totally spelt this wrong ) was really well done .

The one thing that struck me as odd was the fact
    that in district 12 that they had big screens in there house , so unlike in the book where you had to watch it all together in the square or face death - you saw prim and her mum watching it on a big screen at home - also gale refused to watch the opening of the hunger games so you see him sitting on a big green hill sulking .

Well I noticed in the previews that there was that big screen of President Snow officially announcing the start of the Hunger Games at the District 12 Reaping. I liked that and I don't mind
    that the residents are given hi tech tv's as opposed to crappy ones because it would emphasize the whole point of Capital programming/propaganda/control technique. Especially the Hunger Games being mandatory viewing and how that signifies the control and power and how big technology and materialism is to this story. I like the idea of the capital letting the districts barely have what they need in necessities yet allowing them the best tv's, the contrast should be good. I did like the contrast of seeing the flashy tv screen in District 12's town square with the rest of it look dirt poor.

I am curious about these movies. I read the first book back in Sept 08 right when it came out. I didn't actually read the next two until Mockingjay, the third in the series came out. I think as much as I liked the first one, I was reluctant to read the rest as it was a 'teen novel' and after the stigma of Twilight as a teen novel I thought it was maybe too young for me. I'm really not against reading YA novels if they are good though. A good story is a good story to me. But this was right when the Twilight stuff was really kicking off and it kind of turned me off a little. I ended up reading the rest of the series anyway, and I'm glad. I enjoyed it, some flaws in the story yes, but ultimately I like the plot and most of the characters.

I do worry I won't care for the movie and then I'll just be embarrassed by saying I liked the books when most people are basing their views off the movies. I hope not, I really want to like the movie. I worry that I'm going to hate how Peeta/Katiss/Gale comes across on screen. Especially since I have no idea I'll even like Peeta or Gale on screen. Katniss, I think I'll be OK with so I'm not so worried on that. But if the romance(which never struck me as overt romance in the books anyway which I was grateful for) comes across badly to me it might ruin the movies for me.

What I would love is for the movies to improve on aspects of the story. That would great, I really like how we will get to see beyond Katniss's P.O.V. I think that could strengthen the feel of the books and with the
    rebellion and war, showing what's happening around Panem and in the Capital simultaneously could be very well done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the film tonight . The first 250 people at the u.k premier also got to watch the film .

I enjoyed it but some things bugged me like they don't explore the rue and katiness friendship enough which was really enjoyable in the books.

Was it a case of Rue not getting enough screen time or just her relationship with Katniss wasn't explored much?

Also, another question about the rating/cuts did the
    clove threatening Katniss
    scene come off as weird or not make sense because apparently that was cut down quite a bit.

Would you say it is a good film regardless of how good it was as an adaption? Can it stand on its own without the books for instance.

Oh and was there blood or was it all digitally removed?

Thanks for any answers. :)
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty cool getting to see the premiere, how did you get the tickets?
    Forum Member
    Miles_T wrote: »
    Pretty cool getting to see the premiere, how did you get the tickets?

The first 250 was given a wristband so when the cast had finished the red carpet we then went up to watch the film . There was about 4 screenings and plus the one all the guests and so went to. It was really good as all tho we was not in the main screening , the cast and producer ( nina) I think it was came in and still intraduced it .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is a shame that i couldn't see that UK yahoo live stream as i was coming back from southampton because of a uni interview! was it good?!?!?! wish i could see it again! link me if you can someone!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a371256/hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence-violence-is-the-heart-of-the-movie.html

See even Jennifer Lawrence understands us not wanting the cut! This makes me happy! haha