Options

The Voice humiliates the contestants

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was looking forward to watching The Voice on Saturday, but I was left feeling somewhat uncomfortable.
The audience is given a little info/sob story about the singer, then they sing, some get picked, others leave humiliated.

To make it exciting there must be something different about some of the contestants, so the joke is on the judges, but it's not really as they in turn can come out with winning lines like 'I thought you were a woman!'

I got bored very quickly and found myself thinking about the huge amount of money that the winner will inevitably make and wondering how much of that will be ploughed back into the bbc.

The show is no turkey, but like the ITV talent shows, relies on sob stories and humiliation.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand where you are coming from with the humilated part eg Max and Twinnie. It must have been hard for her to get a no in front of the public after her boyfriend got a yes and the show did play that part it up alot. With the what will happen if you get a no and they get a yes etc. You could see she was abit uncomfortable with them asking.

But I dont think it was as bad as some on BGT and XF, still it make them no better than BGT and XF as its still not right.
  • Options
    lovelylissalovelylissa Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so - I thought the so-called 'sob stories' were just background on why the contestants wanted to apply for a show where the judges couldn't see their physical appearance. Now X Factor otoh does set out to humiliate. They put their contestants through 3 rounds or so of auditions before they see the judges, so most of them think they must be pretty good to have got that far. Then the novelty 'rubbish' ones get slated and made fun of. Deluded or not, that's pretty humiliating if not very unkind at best. Wouldn't you think you were pretty good if you'd passed an audition? Let alone a few? Not to mention the failed auditionee a few years back who was invited back to audition... To be told they were rubbish again. That's humiliation and planned humiliation at that.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Not as bad as X Factor since some are put through to the audition rounds by the producers just to be humiliated in front of the crowd - at least with the Voice the judges were fine with Twinnie and told her to keep at it and come back and try again (which she may do because she got into Rock of Ages) just like Sean from Five as for the 'sob stories' in the REAL world, people are going to ask Toni why she was bald, she gave them an answer and how she is now then just got on with the song.

This thread appears like a wind up to me.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way would I say The Voice humiliates contestants. At least with this show each contestant that is shown at the auditions can actually somewhat sing. It's just that only 10 make it on each team, so not everyone will be chosen.

Regarding the 'I thought you were a woman' comment Danny made. I wouldn't even say the guy felt humiliated. He also stated himself that people would be surprised between him and his voice. This is kind of the whole point of the show, you don't know what's behind your chair. It's like in the US version when Adam Levine thought someone was black when they were white.

It's not exactly humiliating when you're comparing it with BGT or X Factor where you have judges laughing as well as cut scenes of the audience laughing at the contestant. The coaches don't turn around and burst into fits of laughter like the other shows. I doubt even Twinnie would have felt humiliated for not getting through. I'd say she new herself that auditioning with her boyfriend would obviously be aired and cause competition to see if both got through.

The Voice is quite refreshing. There are no novelty acts, or people getting by on the fact they look like a pop star. It takes quite a serious role considering people who had success didn't get through (a.k.a Sean from Five and Kerry Ellis)
  • Options
    K2rayK2ray Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    What?

Took the word out of my mouth;)
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humiliated? Really? :confused: that word gets bandied around a lot, no way were they humiliated. They didn't have people poking fun at them, or laughing at them, in fact I believe the judges spent 20 minutes with each contestant that wasn't chosen going through where the coaches thought they should go next and what they needed to do to move on with their careers. I'm sure Holly said that when she was on with Chris Moyles last week.

Honestly humiliated is the new bullied :rolleyes:
  • Options
    drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    if you stand in front of a judge (or a coach) and ask for their opinion then you are going to be judged. if they are not happy with what they've seen and heard the contestant may be embarrassed but it is not humiliation.

I do not agree that the awful acts that are on x factor and bgt are humiliated, they don't seem to know any better. they get to go on TV and probably make a bit of money out of it, which for some people is the enough of a reason to stand in a room full of people and do something you are bad at.

neither may be classified as good entertainment, but i don't think they are cruel either.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Those who didn't get through seemed quite upbeat despite not getting any further. Their families seemed more upset than they were. I thought the coaches were very constructive in their criticism and gave reasoned explanations as to why they didn't turn round. I got the impression the contestants left with no hard feelings. A refreshing change to the usual tired Cowell put-downs.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least they can sing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least they can sing.

Exactly. Nothing humiliating about that either.
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing humiliating about it.

The coaches didn't say 'YOU'RE AWFUL, YOU'RE NOT WORTHY OF A PLACE ON MY TEAM'

Humiliating is what the BGT contestants put themselves through.
  • Options
    BeeBumbleBeeBumble Posts: 5,925
    Forum Member
    What do you want them to do? Put everybody through!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So failing to make the required grade is now classed as humiliation?

People fail at things, sometimes people are good, but not good enough, some people succeed, some don't.

That's life, not humiliation.

And the judges? Supportive words of encouragement and a complete lack of dismissive or disparaging comments is not humiliation either.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing humiliating about it.

The coaches didn't say 'YOU'RE AWFUL, YOU'RE NOT WORTHY OF A PLACE ON MY TEAM'

Humiliating is what the BGT contestants put themselves through.
    Quite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So failing to make the required grade is now classed as humiliation?

People fail at things, sometimes people are good, but not good enough, some people succeed, some don't.

That's life, not humiliation.

Exactly. It's not like the coaches were roaming the streets and dragging reluctant performers before them and forcing them to sing, only to ridicule them.

These contestants knew what they were getting. They came to be judged and they were judged. Some were judged to be successful, others weren't. As you say, that's life.

Can't bear this generation where everyone has to be a winner whether they deserve to be or not. I'm glad I grew up in the generation where we learned that you win some, you lose some, and if you lose some, that doesn't amount to bullying or humiliation - it's just a fact of life and you deal with it and move on to the next thing.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BeeBumble wrote: »
    What do you want them to do? Put everybody through!

Exactly. They all know there can be only one winner so every week people will be rejected. With the reputation of the Voice only choosing good singers, at least they know they were good enough to be chosen to sing on a primetime TV programme.

This thread title is the most ridiculous I've seen on this forum. The Voice is the least humiliating to the contestants of any of the other talent shows.
  • Options
    iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What show were u watching! The Voice was encouraging even the artists that wen't home!
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    H from Steps tweetedSean Conlon to say full respect and sad he didn't get through and Sean tweeted back not to be sadand that he enjoyed the experience or wtte so it doesn't sound like he was humiliated.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Yes, to be honest. This thread is accurate, A+, would read again. X-Factor would simply never.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the singers had been hand picked for their ability.

They had done well to get on there.

NO humiliation at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Blind Auditions are exactly auditions.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice doesn't humiliate acts at all. The judging process relies purely on the performer's singing talent, that's it. Not sure what the first poster was watching to be honest. There was only one little sob story for one contestant and that was it. The Voice is a world apart from The X Factor where some contestants ARE humiliated in front of the audience.
  • Options
    Whoopie DooWhoopie Doo Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who auditions for any TV talent show will feel humiliated if turned down.

I fail to see why The Voice is singled out alone...... what were you expecting?
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Anyone who auditions for any TV talent show will feel humiliated if turned down.

I fail to see why The Voice is singled out alone...... what were you expecting?
    To start a fight.

This is the usual shite-stirring behavior on this board to cause a ruckus, IMO.