Mrs Brown & Boys coming to BBC one

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rayowl wrote: »
    Without doubt, the best comedy on the box bar none :D:D:D

That's what I say too....

however, I've just finished watching the 7-DVD box set of the original Irish TV series and even as a fan of Mrs Brown's Boys, I have to say that was hard going. No live audience/audience interaction, too many unfunny jokes, "episodes" that seemed to drag on forever (some were 2 hours long!) and different actors playing the main characters...then being dropped for the ones we see on TV.

And I'm glad to hear Brendan O'Carroll is writing new material as he's been performing the same story lines (like the ones in the BBC series) for years.

I can't wait for series 3 to air, but as for the original series, I couldn't care less if I never saw it again.

Link to the box set
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of people mentioned earlier on in the thread that Brenden has confirmed that series 3 is going to be the last, but i can't find anything online, anyone have a link?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I say too....

however, I've just finished watching the 7-DVD box set of the original Irish TV series and even as a fan of Mrs Brown's Boys, I have to say that was hard going. No live audience/audience interaction, too many unfunny jokes, "episodes" that seemed to drag on forever (some were 2 hours long!) and different actors playing the main characters...then being dropped for the ones we see on TV.

And I'm glad to hear Brendan O'Carroll is writing new material as he's been performing the same story lines (like the ones in the BBC series) for years.

I can't wait for series 3 to air, but as for the original series, I couldn't care less if I never saw it again.

Link to the box set

"as for the original series, I couldn't care less if I ever saw it again".

I saw the original series after seeing an episode or two of the TV version because my sister bought it thinking it was the TV version and even though the storylines are very similar there are differences which make them both good viewing. The shorter (TV) versions are good if you have a short attention span or like more comedy than situation or drama but the TV version can seem rather rushed compared to the original with too much emphasis on getting laughs and not enough on getting the background scene. The thing I miss in watching the TV series are the songs. The opening song "If Ma could see me now" which is a beautiful song is replaced with in inferior faster version of what was a nice song in the later episodes of the original. "Don't go loving anyone else but me" has been totally wiped from the TV version as has the storyline that Trevor was the one originally planning to marry Maria (not Dermot). On the plus side though there are welcome changes like mistakes and instances of breaking into different scenes being left in; and the background music during the sentimental scenes which was layed on with a trowel in the original has gone but then so have Cornelius and Sharon. Mike Pyatt still appears as Cathy's boyfriend (the shrink) in Series 2 but not as Father Quinn even though he played the part sooooo much better.

Compared to the TV version the original can seem over-long but in many ways the original was better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJjVzuAG-I

Here's another song we never get to hear on the TV version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsKsuYYxE_I
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer watching shows without musical numbers, even if they are shows that break the fourth wall all the time like Mrs Browns Boys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer watching shows without musical numbers, even if they are shows that break the fourth wall all the time like Mrs Browns Boys.
    Well when the programme's on for an hour or more (as was the case in some episodes of the original series) then it helps to break up the show a bit although music was also used to good effect in Extras, the Office and even Only Fools and Horses. I don't think it harms a comedy to add some musical content and sometimes it adds to it.
  • COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to read that both Brendan and Mrs brown boys have been normited for the Baftas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    Great to read that both Brendan and Mrs brown boys have been normited for the Baftas

That's good to know. Didn't think it would even be nominated considering some people seem to think it's too low brow to even be seen on the BBC. Don't think it'll stand a cat in hell's chance of winning but good to see it nominated nonetheless.

Just to add the love on a humpback bridge song mentioned earlier was an integral part of the original series as the lads had set up as a boyband (a storyline not explored in the TV series but as we're going to be treated to a third series I daresay we'll get to see it then). Hopefully the third series will also see the long overdue introduction of Winnie's daughter (Sharon) and her boyfriend Cornie. Although tbh I don't understand this modern trend to stick with 2 or 3 series. In America comedies run for a decade (and they have 4 times more episodes per series!). I know in the US they tend to have a team of writers as opposed to one or two but tbh I think that's just an excuse for laziness on the part of British writers! ;)
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well when the programme's on for an hour or more (as was the case in some episodes of the original series) then it helps to break up the show a bit although music was also used to good effect in Extras, the Office and even Only Fools and Horses. I don't think it harms a comedy to add some musical content and sometimes it adds to it.

They did use music to good effect in those shows, but I'm talking about musical numbers, like you know, a musical, where the characters sing and dance along cheesily.

It's just not what I like.
  • andrewj123andrewj123 Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to know. Didn't think it would even be nominated considering some people seem to think it's too low brow to even be seen on the BBC. Don't think it'll stand a cat in hell's chance of winning but good to see it nominated nonetheless.

Just to add the love on a humpback bridge song mentioned earlier was an integral part of the original series as the lads had set up as a boyband (a storyline not explored in the TV series but as we're going to be treated to a third series I daresay we'll get to see it then). Hopefully the third series will also see the long overdue introduction of Winnie's daughter (Sharon) and her boyfriend Cornie. Although tbh I don't understand this modern trend to stick with 2 or 3 series. In America comedies run for a decade (and they have 4 times more episodes per series!). I know in the US they tend to have a team of writers as opposed to one or two but tbh I think that's just an excuse for laziness on the part of British writers! ;)

Sharon has been in series 2 - not sure about series 1 as I haven't seen it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did use music to good effect in those shows, but I'm talking about musical numbers, like you know, a musical, where the characters sing and dance along cheesily.

It's just not what I like.

Oh you mean the Father Quinn song. I liked that one - glad they kept it in (and the Macy Gray song in the original series).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andrewj123 wrote: »
    Sharon has been in series 2 - not sure about series 1 as I haven't seen it

Really? I don't remember her in the second series? Was she played by the same actress?
    I'll have to check it out (again) on youtube - DVD's not available as yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't found any full episodes from Series 2 yet but found this from the original series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGEVEo8Hp4g&feature=related

A couple of very touching scenes in this one (between Maria and Mark's wife and Mark and Dermot) that weren't included in the TV series and the backstory of Trevor and Maria being an item before Maria fell for Dermot. Plus Macy Gray's song, the original theme tune and Simon before he became Buster (both played brilliantly by Brendan O'Carroll's son) but the changeover was never explained!).

I will say that I think Rory's coming out was handled better on the BBC TV series than on this episode but otherwise Lovely Jubbly!
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »

brendan is odds-on favourite to win at the moment...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    brendan is odds-on favourite to win at the moment...:D

Despite being too "low brow" for some people's tastes? Well good for him. Shows the views of the great unwashed (i.e. us) matter after all then. :)

I wonder when the rest of us get our gongs? ;)
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite being too "low brow" for some people's tastes? Well good for him. Shows the views of the great unwashed (i.e. us) matter after all then. :)

I wonder when the rest of us get our gongs? ;)

if they're selling them in robert dyas, i'll get one for miself, lolz!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) What Ii can't understand is why the BBC thought the programme needed to be remade. Do they think their audience have such a short attention span they couldn't watch a programme that lasted more than half an hour?! Having said that if it hadn't been remade we wouldn't have seen the extra footage/scenes we did get to see. :)

ps I love that scene in the original series with Mark and Dermott walking into the distance and their shadows appearing as small boys!.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the original series much different to the BBC series? I saw the Irish DVD pack in HMV and wasn't sure if I should get it or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scripts are very much the same but the pace is different. My brother watched the original series after watching the TV show and was bored but I thought it was better in many ways. The incident in which Mrs Brown bought the bikini wax seemed bizarre in the TV series - why would a woman of Mrs Brown's age be interested in such a thing but in the original series it made more sense (Ie she bought it by mistake). Both have their pluses and minuses. I like both but prefer the original (when I have the time to sit down and watch it!). Check out the link to the youtube site of one of the original episodes (post 1314) and see what you think. . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems I was wrong - she didn't buy the bikini wax mistake Having said that, she wasn't altogether sure what she was buying and was just looking for the name Hawaiin but it was in keeping with the storyline of her trying to appear young in order to avoid being put in a home (or so she thought).

Asked around and no-one remembers Sharon in the second series - must have been a very minor part!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Browne meets Jedward (and says WTF!?) :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eParXVjkPI

(It's in support of the ISPCC ... and the Irish team @ Euro 2012)
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And her trademark "That's nice" is there thankfully :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear! They may well share a nationality but why did Brendan O'Carroll agree to have anything to do with this. Awful awful song and an awful awful video! It is what Henning Wehn might describe as a "national embarrassment".

Ireland would have done better having Westboys Life singing Love on a Humpback Bridge. :)

oh oh talking of national embarrassments, just found this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jX22u_ajsc
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear! They may well share a nationality but why did Brendan O'Carroll agree to have anything to do with this. Awful awful song! As Henning Wehn might say "get off my television you national embarrassment". OK it's a computer rather than a television but you get the gist!

Ireland would have done better having Westboys Life singing Love on a Humpback Bridge. :)

oh oh talking of national embarrassments, just found this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jX22u_ajsc

It was the best selling song in Ireland in 2011! The original version with the old lyrics I mean :)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I've just seen in the original Irish series, is that the actresses playing Winnie and Maria's mum have swapped roles, is that right? It's definitely the BBC series' Winnie as Maria's mum, at least.