Doctor Who: Greatest Characters: Number 49

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
Forum Member
[highlight]49. Rose Tyler[/highlight]

PLAYED BY: Billie Piper
ONSCREEN: 2005 - 06, 2008, 2010
RATING: 67.76%

Very surprising result, I think.
When Doctor Who returned to our screens in 2005, Billie Piper's Rose was fundamental to its success. The first regular companion to be openly in love with the Doctor, Rose was much more than that. Fun, warm and, perhaps most importantly, normal, Rose won over the hearts of the nation and was particularly important in that she introduced a more appealing side to Doctor Who for many young girls; something which had perhaps been previously lacking. Rose witnessed the Doctor regenerate and was eventually trapped in a parallel world, which she returned from briefly to help the Doctor and the other 'Children of Time' save the Universe from Davros and the Daleks.

REMEMBERED FOR: Being in love with the Doctor. Her smile. Her mother. The Bad Wolf Bay scene.

What do you think? Should Rose be much higher than this, or this position right for her? Let me know! :)

Comments

• king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't that surprising, in series 4 she was very annoying as she was at the end of series 2, if this poll was done before the second series started in 2006 , she would have come higher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    in series 4 she was very annoying

I would have to agree with you there!
  • Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 49 is far too low to be honest. She's much more liked by the public than the fans on here. Without doubt, my favourite companion.
    Forum Member
    You're right, I imagine in an official poll she'd come much higher - she is a very important character after all IMO. Just a bit of fun though!
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait till tomorrow to see more!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait till tomorrow to see more!

Me too - I think gwalker is a bit of a tease! At this rate it'll be Christmas before we find out who number 1 is! :D:D
    Forum Member
    Haha, not quite christmas - mid-july by my reckoning :)
    Glad you're enjoying it!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. She's my number one anyway :p
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would be nowhere in my top 100 characters list but top of my 'Characters who look like bats' list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst Rose is definitely not one of my favorite characters, being ranked 49 out 50 seems very low for such a prominent character.

Could the OP give us a few more details about his survey, so we can make a bit more sense of it :confused:

1) How many people voted in it?
    2) How did you come up with the 67.76% rating for Rose, what does it actually mean? How could 67.76% of people vote for Rose and 67.75% of people vote for Tegan?

On the plus side, your site is very well designed and a treat to view :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Meh. She's my number one anyway :p

This :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I am really surprised Rose got so low on this one.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how this polling was done.
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I don't understand how this polling was done.

It says at the top of the "number 48" post
  • digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Part of the reason why the new series of Dr Who has been so successful has been down to this character. The re-boot of what had become a very tired and irrelevant format had to place the doctor within contemporary settings and personalities. The new companion had to a break from the out-dated scream queens and plucky 'not -just-a-pretty-face' stereotyped female characters from the original series.

Rose epitomised contemporary youth - (not too) streetwise, opinionated, savvy and sexy. It was this character that placed the doctor and his weighty history into the relevant sci fi drama of the day.

Rose Tyler less great than Sgt Benton or the doctor that battled a monster made of liquorice allsorts?
    Forum Member
    digiblade wrote: »
    Part of the reason why the new series of Dr Who has been so successful has been down to this character

I agree with you completely