Forums on your mobile: a call for testers!

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    including me !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I understand what you're saying spiney2, but at this time we are focusing mainly on smart phones rather than the experimental browser on the kindle.

I'm personally surprised that they've bothered to include Javascript on the device if it's browser can't handle it. The Javascript used on the mobile skin really is minimal and in every case there is a fall-back method for non-Javascript devices to navigate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would definately like to see less full page macdonalds adverts (itsa right turn off)

i would also like to see page numbers at the top, go to last new post, and also post starter
    Forum Member
    i would definately like to see less full page macdonalds adverts (itsa right turn off)

i would also like to see page numbers at the top, go to last new post, and also post starter

How often are you seeing the full screen ads?
    Forum Member
    We've just added the 'last new post' arrow back which should roll out for everyone shortly. Let us know if you notice any bugs with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfect now with the arrows IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying spiney2, but at this time we are focusing mainly on smart phones rather than the experimental browser on the kindle.

I'm personally surprised that they've bothered to include Javascript on the device if it's browser can't handle it. The Javascript used on the mobile skin really is minimal and in every case there is a fall-back method for non-Javascript devices to navigate.

yes. i fully realise that only a tiny number of people will use the k.k. browser. which is what i actually said. i treid to give accurate useful info but seem to have ended up hogging this thread.

one use of the k.k. browser is to connect to Amazon. which uses javascript on its own website. and many other websites wont work without javascript. for example most web based email logins ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

about every 4 page loads?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The desktop view really isn't designed to be used on a mobile device. If you do wish to use it rather than a mobile skin I'd recommend logging in via the mobile skin first, then switching to the desktop view again.

Thomas this is without exception the only site on the entire internet that I have to switch to a mobile version to log in from my tablet. The code is crap. It handles the size detection awfully. What's worse is it worked fine for years until you went with that shitty light box log in window and broke it, just as mobile devices became powerful enough to handle the full site you broke it.

We are not talking about a WAP phone here. Logging in on the mobile version and switching to the desktop version is a work around not a solution. Where does this stop, windows rt? Win 8 metro, what percentage of browsers are you happy for the site not to work in?
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just added the 'last new post' arrow back which should roll out for everyone shortly. Let us know if you notice any bugs with it.

the arrow is.great ( now i know what its for )

Any.possibility of page numbers at the top of threads page 1?
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its okay. It would be good if it had the page numbers displayed on the main screen.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Thomas this is without exception the only site on the entire internet that I have to switch to a mobile version to log in from my tablet. The code is crap. It handles the size detection awfully. What's worse is it worked fine for years until you went with that shitty light box log in window and broke it, just as mobile devices became powerful enough to handle the full site you broke it.

We are not talking about a WAP phone here. Logging in on the mobile version and switching to the desktop version is a work around not a solution. Where does this stop, windows rt? Win 8 metro, what percentage of browsers are you happy for the site not to work in?

Which tablet are you using flagpole? I'll see if there's anything our developers can do about it.
    Forum Member
    Which tablet are you using flagpole? I'll see if there's anything our developers can do about it.

i'm using the nexus 7 with chrome. it's the same on all android tablets as far as i know. it comes up in the tablet section from time to time. it's the same on my symbian phone too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can understand trying to make DS much easier for mobile phones. since revenue must be generated to pay costs ........

one problem ....... if i am not mistaken ....... is the requested page starts loading but then hangs (not just very slow!) partway through. i assume this is due to the limited number of database connections available. especallyy peak usage times.

this is not too bad on laptop but can cause problems on some mobille devices.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any chance of arrows on the results of a 'New Posts' search? And page navigation at the top and bottom of threads?

Other than those, it's really nice to use on iPhone :)
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fine on my HTC Desire. The ads are over intrusive. This morning I got a full screen Vodafone ad each time I went to a new section. Tonight I only had one at my first entry.
    Whatever you've changed it's for the better.
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i can understand trying to make DS much easier for mobile phones. since revenue must be generated to pay costs ........

one problem ....... if i am not mistaken ....... is the requested page starts loading but then hangs (not just very slow!) partway through. i assume this is due to the limited number of database connections available. especallyy peak usage times.

this is not too bad on laptop but can cause problems on some mobille devices.

yeah i wondered this. it's very difficult to load over a slow connection.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to have a readable version. I'd like a bit more functionality on the thread navigation. If it's not practical to jump to specific page numbers, maybe we could have a 5 page jump button to go with the start/end next/last options.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why no ability to pinch/zoom? Serious accessibility flaw as not everyone can read the text at the fixed size.

The arrows on the topics could do with being a lot bigger, why make the target area so small? What page is it supposed to link to? Given the topic text links to p1 I would imagine it would be the last page but it looks random to me so far.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I don't know where else to post this, but as the thread is about DS on mobile phones, I suppose it's OK.

I accidentally managed to wipe all (yes, ALL!) data from my mobile. When putting it back, I can't get the 'DS' icon on the bookmark tab any more (or have forgotten how to), as I used to have.

It's currently the boring red 'ribbon' style and it used to be a nice blue one with 'DS' on it. (My mobile is an HTC Wildfire.) Any help would be much appreciated.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks great on the s3 pity you can't see how many replies a thread has like you can on the desktop version. i really like it though.
    Forum Member
    Any chance of arrows on the results of a 'New Posts' search? And page navigation at the top and bottom of threads?

Other than those, it's really nice to use on iPhone :)

Arrows should now be on new posts page as well. Page navigation at top of thread also is a tricky one as it's quite bulky (to allow for finger pressing!) and would take up a lot of space at the top. We'll look into it though as a few people have mentioned it now.
    flagpole wrote: »
    yeah i wondered this. it's very difficult to load over a slow connection.

Have you been experiencing ongoing speed issues with the mobile skin? Initial tests showed the mobile skin loading a lot quicker than desktop skin as the page is a very lightweight version of the main forum.
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Why no ability to pinch/zoom? Serious accessibility flaw as not everyone can read the text at the fixed size.

The arrows on the topics could do with being a lot bigger, why make the target area so small? What page is it supposed to link to? Given the topic text links to p1 I would imagine it would be the last page but it looks random to me so far.

Valid point around pinch/zoom, will look into practicalities to reintroduce this in a future version.

Arrows on topics are only a small visual, the immediate area around them should also be clickable and take you to the same place so no need to worry if you don't exactly hit the arrow upon touch.

The arrows are designed to work the same as the existing 'Last new post' function on the desktop skin. The idea is that this will take you to the last page of a thread which you have read. If you've not read the thread before it should take you to the first page.

Cheers overall for everyone's replies so far. I think we're pretty much ready for a general release now so the new skin should be replacing the old one within the next couple of days.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is a search option going to be made optional in the settings for phones/tablets that can handle it and who ever wants to switch it on?:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the new mobile site,i came off DS for ages because I struggled so much on my mobile with the site,im glad I had another look because it,s so much easier now.
    Forum Member
    Love the new mobile site,i came off DS for ages because I struggled so much on my mobile with the site,im glad I had another look because it,s so much easier now.

Brilliant, glad to hear it! Hope you stick around.
    So is a search option going to be made optional in the settings for phones/tablets that can handle it and who ever wants to switch it on?:)

Definitely an option for the future :)
This discussion has been closed.