Pillow cases and washing machine gunk

doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
Forum Member
I have a problem that's driving me mad, whenever I wash pillow cases they come out of the washing machine dirtier than when they went in as they seem to attract grey gunk from around the drum.

It doesn't happen when I wash clothes or towels only pillow cases, does anybody have any idea why or has any solutions, it seems like a waste of money to get a new washing machine because of this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clean the grey gunk from around the drum before you wash your pillow cases. Sorted!

How do you manage to get grey gunk in your machine anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's odd.

Maybe you could put all of the pillow cases inside one and then it would only be the one outside pillow case that would be affected rather than all of them.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wipe the door seal with Milton and then do a wash using Milton in the drawer without any washing in the machine or any washing powder. Do the wash on a high temperature.
    With more Nd more fabrics being washed at lower temperatures the machines don't get a good blast of very hot water and clean through. Scum can just build up
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    wombat18 wrote: »
    That's odd.

Maybe you could put all of the pillow cases inside one and then it would only be the one outside pillow case that would be affected rather than all of them.

That's quite a good idea.

I have wiped around the drum (or rather around the door seal where the gunk seems to be), have also done a 90 degree maintenance wash and also switched to bio as apparently you get more gunk was non-bio but nothing seems to work.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    sodium bicarb + 90 degree wash will help shift the gunk.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I have a problem that's driving me mad, whenever I wash pillow cases they come out of the washing machine dirtier than when they went in as they seem to attract grey gunk from around the drum.

It doesn't happen when I wash clothes or towels only pillow cases, does anybody have any idea why or has any solutions, it seems like a waste of money to get a new washing machine because of this.

Thanks in advance.

I always thought grey gunk was a fault with the Indesit Moon.
    Forum Member
    I always thought grey gunk was a fault with the Indesit Moon.

It's a combination of hard water and non-bio on low temperatures apparently.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Limescale remover like Calgon might help.

Keeps the machine clean.
  • wibbywibby Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Try putting them in a washing net. They are really useful.

If you use a net, things will stick to the outside of that and not to the items you're washing.
  • T.K.MaxxT.K.Maxx Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Soda crystals on the hottest wash
    Forum Member
    wibby wrote: »
    Try putting them in a washing net. They are really useful.

If you use a net, things will stick to the outside of that and not to the items you're washing.

Tried that and it didn't work.

Have now tried the 250ml white vinegar and 90 degree wash recommendation that seems to be what most recommend on the internet so hopefully next time it won't happen, thanks for the help.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

I would like to know why people are not surprised about grey gunk , because I have never experienced such a thing in all my many years of using a washer ! And how come it's only pillowcases and nothing else ? Just plain weird :confused:
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to know why people are not surprised about grey gunk , because I have never experienced such a thing in all my many years of using a washer ! And how come it's only pillowcases and nothing else ? Just plain weird :confused:

If it's only the pillowcases is it something to do with the pillows? What kind of pillows do you have?

Or are you using hair products that are leaving residue on the pillowcases?
  • Jason JAG LawJason JAG Law Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was initially alarmed at this thread. Until I realised that my phone screen didn't have the room to show the very last letter of the title!
    Forum Member
    Mint wrote: »
    If it's only the pillowcases is it something to do with the pillows? What kind of pillows do you have?

Or are you using hair products that are leaving residue on the pillowcases?

Yes I thought it could be the oil from skin or hair, pillow cases do get changed less than clothes so maybe that's the reason?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Simple thing is to always wash your towels in a hot wash...

Seems pointless washing everything at 30C then every week do a 90C "maintenance cycle".

Personally, I always wash:-

Towels & Pillow cases - 70C
    Whites - 50C
    Bed Linen - 50C
    Colours - 40C
    Silk & Wool - 40C
    Forum Member
    Simple thing is to always wash your towels in a hot wash...

Seems pointless washing everything at 30C then every week do a 90C "maintenance cycle".

Personally, I always wash:-

Towels & Pillow cases - 70C
    Whites - 50C
    Bed Linen - 50C
    Colours - 40C
    Silk & Wool - 40C

Does that not damage them, the washing instructions say 40 degrees?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Does that not damage them, the washing instructions say 40 degrees?

Well, you've got to be reasonably careful, especially if your bed linen is silk...

But on the whole, it's fine.

40C doesn't kill bed bugs, or winter vomiting virus. It's only 3C above body temperature so won't melt the oils in your pillow cases.

How much damage do you think a 70C wash is going to do to flannel or bath towel...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never had this either, tbh. I'm not entirely sure exactly what the "gunk" is like, having never had any in my own washing machine.
  • RoxysirenRoxysiren Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    It's like a grey/brown slime that collects around the door seal and underneath it too. If you don't clean it out regularly it seems to dislodge every now and then. The washing can have some streaks on it when this happens.

I don't know if it depends on whether you use a washing powder, tabs or liquid and also if you use fabric conditioner.

Perhaps because pillowcases are thin they can find their way into the area around the door seal and get trapped so when the washing starts to spin they get dragged around where any "gunk" will collect. If you pull back the rubber seals you can see it can collect under there too.

:)