500quid max a week cap on benefits!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    The main reason there are so many unemployed in this country is mass immigration, which was done deliberately to import cheap foreign labour and drive down wages, thereby increasing the profits of the very rich.
    There are 5 times as many unemployed people as there are vacancies, so it would be impossible for them all to 'get up and and do some work'.
    Recessions are caused by the rich not by the poor; the poor don't have the power to influence the economy. This current economic downturn was caused by the greed of bankers and hedge-fund managers, and yet amazingly we look to punish the unemployed and disabled for mistakes made by the capitalist barons.

The rich being greedy. There needs to be a cap on immigration. Therefore the thousands upon thousands of Romanians or Bulgarians shouldn't come into our country for work because there is hardly any work as it is. Not being racist or anything at all I just think there should be a cap on this. A polish person even said to me "too many people are coming into this country". The government need to stop pussy footing around and put a cap on this.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I don't assume that.

And that is what I'm basing my calculations on.

If I were currently on JSA, I'd be getting my Rent and CT paid, and be receiving £71 cash.

Therefore, subtracting my Rent and CT (and the £71) from my take home salary, leaves about £80pw better off.

Blimey, your rent must be steep!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Yes, how dare they own a pet or Sky tv!! honestly!

Any cap introduced should be rolling, it is unfair to cap a family of 8 the same as a couple with no children, the cap is there to punish families and thats what it will do. This cap will make families homeless, they will not be able to pay their rent, poverty will worsen and more children will suffer.

I met someone the other day who said to me "aww someone's mum in my kids class... well she got bored because she didn't have sky tv so she made a baby instead". lol.

I know this is a small minority but I might as well just laugh than cry. I am lucky to have a job. I rather be in my position than live in a shit hole with or without kids on benefits.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, your rent must be steep!

No. My salary just isn't very high.
    Forum Member
    No. My salary just isn't very high.

You earn over £300 a week gross, presuming you dont pay much tax as you are on a minimum wage,it sounds as if you rent is relatively high if you are only £80 a week better off than on JSA
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You earn over £300 a week gross, presuming you dont pay much tax as you are on a minimum wage,it sounds as if you rent is relatively high if you are only £80 a week better off than on JSA

:confused:
    Not really his rent would only have to be about £100.00 per week for him to be only £80 a week better off ,so not a steep rent at all really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you forgotten CT?

Also, there's travelling expenses of around £40pw.
    Forum Member
    cah wrote: »
    :confused:
    Not really his rent would only have to be about £100.00 per week for him to be only £80 a week better off ,so not a steep rent at all really

Well rents are cheap round here, our 4 bed house is not much more than that. I suppose it depends what he rents and where he lives. Even £80 is a hell of a lot more than someone else on JSA, its more than double their disposable income, I have no idea how a single person manages on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    his rent would only have to be about £100.00 per week for him to be only £80 a week better off ,so not a steep rent at all really

Then there's CT which, added to the Rent, isn't far short of £100pw in total.
    Forum Member
    Then there's CT which, added to the Rent, isn't far short of £100pw in total.

Do you not claim single person allowance for CT? I think you may be able to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even £80 is a hell of a lot more than someone else on JSA, its more than double their disposable income

True, but I am working 50+ hours, for that £80-ish extra.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500 a week is a reasonable capped level IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not claim single person allowance for CT? I think you may be able to.

I get the 25% discount, but, added to the rent, it still adds up to nearly £100pw.

By working extra hours (this month I've done 66 hours per week), or a public holiday or two (double time) I can make enough for a few luxuries, but it's bloody hard work, and neither are available every month.
    Forum Member
    500 a week is a reasonable capped level IMO.

It is unfair as it is the same amount for a childless couple as it is for a family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    You should ring the Open University, I know that in Northern Ireland if you are on jobseekers you get a grant to study for your degree with them, not sure what the situation is in England but i'm sure the fees would be massively reduced and obviously you'd get your student loan etc.

If it makes you more likely to get into a comfortable position it is worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Apparently I can apply for a new thing called a 24 Advanced Learning Loan that comes into effect in August for the next educational year if you want to do a course of A Level qualification or above. You can use it to claim the full or part of the course fee.

I'm going to look into it but have a feeling it will be the usual thing. If you do the course you are a student and so you aren't looking for a job 80 hours a day so can't have any benefits, thus you don't bother applying for the loan, don't do the course, don't improve your chances of any job, let alone a well paid job and you are accused of deliberately living off tax payers/the state and not trying.
    Forum Member
    I get the 25% discount, but, added to the rent, it still adds up to nearly £100pw.

By working extra hours (this month I've done 66 hours per week), or a public holiday or two (double time) I can make enough for a few luxuries, but it's bloody hard work, and neither are available every month.

Perhaps there will be voluntary redundancies in your firm some time? you then have the choice to 'retire' and claim JSA instead. if not I would not suggest just leaving as you may not be entitled to much at all.

The grass isnt always greener though remember ;)
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well rents are cheap round here, our 4 bed house is not much more than that. I suppose it depends what he rents and where he lives. Even £80 is a hell of a lot more than someone else on JSA, its more than double their disposable income, I have no idea how a single person manages on it.

Our 3 bed is just over £100.00 per week but that's HA ,Private rents round here are a lot more than that :eek: ,Like you say i too have no idea how a single person with their own place manage on £71 :(
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps, instead of cutting the £71pw JSA, they could raise the tax threshold and/or reduce the tax rate, for single people on lowish salaries?

On average, I pay more in NI and Income Tax, than I pay in Rent and CT.

I'd agree with that.
    It is unfair as it is the same amount for a childless couple as it is for a family.

Even with disabilities I'd be surprised if many childless couples manage to receive that much in benefits each week.
    Forum Member
    Even with disabilities I'd be surprised if many childless couples manage to receive that much in benefits each week.

I expect it depends where they live, in London their rent if private will be extortionate.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our 3 bed is just over £100.00 per week but that's HA ,Private rents round here are a lot more than that :eek: ,Like you say i too have no idea how a single person with their own place manage on £71 :(

I've heard that we have one of the lowest unemployment benefits. I think it's around £100 over in Ireland and should have been that here by now if it had increased like it should have done over the years. Although, I don't know if other countries provide housing benefits too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would a childless couple qualify for the 500 limit?
    Forum Member
    Would a childless couple qualify for the 500 limit?

The limit for a couple living together is the same as a large family, this is where the cap is unfair.Couples will probably not be affected at all, yet families will lose a lot if they have a large home and privately rent. no one thought this through, its an unrealistic cap and it should have been graded for couples and families.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect it depends where they live, in London their rent if private will be extortionate.

My best mate has a studio in central London and that's 250 a week, and my lil bro lives in clapham and its around half that. Even in London a childless couple won't be getting 500 a week surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The limit for a couple living together is the same as a large family, this is where the cap is unfair.Couples will probably not be affected at all, yet families will lose a lot if they have a large home and privately rent. no one thought this through, its an unrealistic cap and it should have been graded for couples and families.

The limit maybe the same, but I would expect there are almost none who qualify.

2000 a month is plenty for a family to live on IMO. It sounds like a reasonable cap to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if not I would not suggest just leaving as you may not be entitled to much at all.

The grass isn't always greener though remember ;)

I realise I wouldn't be better off on JSA (I've never suggested I would), but, for the hours I'm working, the difference isn't exactly huge, is it?