Options

Xbox Event - 21st May, 6PM UK time

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I think the major difference is if a friends wants to borrow a game, i don't want to have to sit in his house while he is signed into my account, or better yet not be able to play my own games at home because he has borrowed a game and is using my account to play it

Can you imagine a game like Skyrim/Fallout/Final fantasy etc, where if a friend wants to play it you'd be to sit in his house doing nothing for hundreds of hours

that is the underlying probably with this system, yes you can still plays games at a friends house but in the way people would want to

Why do you have to be sat in his house? Surely it'd be easier to just let your friend know your log-in details and then they can play it to their hearts content whenever you're not playing it yourself. If this system actually comes to pass then I can see people essentially sharing accounts with each other to play each others games (like people already do with Steam, some people even sell their accounts). Not ideal, and not exactly safe from a security standpoint unless you really trust your friend, but I fail to see why you think you'd need to be sat in your friends house while they plays Elder Scrolls VI, you don't physically need to be there. Personally I never lend games anyway, if my friend enjoys a game of mine so much that they want to keep playing it then they can buy it themselves.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Why do you have to be sat in his house? Surely it'd be easier to just let your friend know your log-in details and then they can play it to their hearts content whenever you're not playing it yourself. If this system actually comes to pass then I can see people essentially sharing accounts with each other to play each others games (like people already do with Steam, some people even sell their accounts). Not ideal, and not exactly safe from a security standpoint, but I fail to see why you think you'd need to be sat in your friends house while they plays Elder Scrolls VI, you don't physically need to be there.

Like you point out - that's awful from a security point of view.

I trust my friends, but I still wouldn't want anyone logged into my profile without me. That isn't a practical solution at all.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Like you point out - that's awful from a security point of view.

I trust my friends, but I still wouldn't want anyone logged into my profile without me. That isn't a practical solution at all.

Looks like you will be able to set up special accounts for your friends in order for them to play on your account without you 'having to sit in their houses' as you put it!

Engadget have just blogged about this:

If you joined us for the Xbox One reveal yesterday, you'll probably know that amidst all the excitement, we learned that a single Xbox Live Gold membership will cover both the 360 and the next-gen console. Good stuff -- no extra expenditure, subscription sign-ups or other irritations.

But, it gets even better, as a couple of Microsoft bigwigs told Polygon that Live memberships can also used by multiple profiles. That means several accounts can be created on one console, for discrete friends lists, personal Home screens and the like, but they'll all be able to feed off the same subscription.

We're not sure how this'll work exactly, but it already sounds better than the Gamertag-specific membership model on the 360, which is responsible for far too many amazing kill stats being lost to the dreaded "Guest" account

Link : Multiple Accounts
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    It's funny how the people who are losing their minds over the Xbox One have no complaints about paying a fee to play online multiplayer games on the 360.
  • Options
    macman11macman11 Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I hope someone at MS hurries up and sticks some tape over Harrison's mouth... He's really putting his foot in it. Lots of conflicting information, and he's made things sound worse.

He's the same guy that that headed up the PS3 launch which was widely criticised. It may be a case of history repeating...
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we've not heard the fan of the xbox one yet, my gaming pc in "summer" months sounds like its going to take off when playing games :D amd 8150, 16 gig ram etc etc

the ps4 could be about the same size as the xbox one otherwise cramming it all in to one small box you'll get overheating problems. so that's 2 big boxes if your buying ps4 & xbox1
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    It's funny how the people who are losing their minds over the Xbox One have no complaints about paying a fee to play online multiplayer games on the 360.

Have they announced whether we still have to pay for Live or not?
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this story (if it's true)

Apparently, some people are complaining that when they were trying to watch the presentation via their 360s with Kinect plugged in, every time the guy on stage was issuing commands THEIR Kinects were picking it up and interrupting the video. :D
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »

I'm not an online player. I like to buy a console, pay for a game and that's it.
    Single player and occasional 2 player. I never bought into the paying for downloadable content or anything such.

For me the PS4 and Xbox One need to be a console to bung a disk in, everything else is secondary.
    They seem to be trying to cater for fad gamers too much at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As ive said on the Xbox forum, these points are enough to put me off the Xbox One and i loved my 360.
    • The console will need access to the Internet at least once a day.
    • Can you play your friend's games on your own profile and vice versa? NO, Unless you pay a fee.
    • Will it work without Kinect? No.
    • Will all that live TV stuff be available outside of the US at launch? No.
    • Is it backwards compatible in any way? No
    • Xbox live gold still exists when the PSN is of just as good quality but not as good content.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

Still very vague, isn't it?
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    As ive said on the Xbox forum, these points are enough to put me off the Xbox One and i loved my 360.
    • Can you play your friend's games on your own profile and vice versa? NO, Unless you pay a fee.

I think this will be possible, if I have understood the link correctly!!!

See my post above (post #529)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I think this will be possible, if I have understood the link correctly!!!

See my post above (post #529)

I read that as all profiles on one console can share Xbox live gold membership (which is a welcome change)

You will still need to be signed in as the owner to play the game though.
    He4rt wrote: »
    http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

Still very vague, isn't it?

There it is, I think thats as clear as the day. if you are signed in on your profile, there is no fee to download your profile and play the game at your mates house. Your mate cant play it on his own profile though, without paying a fee.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait for E3, think a lot of people will be eating humble pie.

Lost track of the number of time people moaning about how they showed no games so are switching to Sony. They made it clear their saving most of the games for next month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    This is sounding like a dud on every level possible.
    The looks, the specs, the TV intergration, the value of your game purchases! You name it it's a dud!

Americans don't like clumsy hardware, no matter how much benefit of doubt they give to their domestic companies. They will punish you as well!

How is the spec a dud? Isn't it almost the same as the PS4?

As for looks, I think it's alright but I don't plan on spending the whole time looking at the console, it's for playing on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ataraxia wrote: »
    I read that as all profiles on one console can share Xbox live gold membership (which is a welcome change)

You will still need to be signed in as the owner to play the game though.

There it is, I think thats as clear as the day. if you are signed in on your profile, there is no fee to download your profile and play the game at your mates house. Your mate cant play it on his own profile though, without paying a fee.

Yup which is what I said last night. :-P

So all that is left to clear up is if there is a fee to play 2nd hand games. Which Sony themselves said it's up to the developers already. Everyone still jumping ship?
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    How is the spec a dud? Isn't it almost the same as the PS4?

As for looks, I think it's alright but I don't plan on spending the whole time looking at the console, it's for playing on.

PS4 has up to 50% more raw power than Xbox 1, thanks to the Xbox 1 using 3 OS taking up 3GB of RAM!

Also, Xbox 1 is using slower RAM with a more limited bandwith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS4 has up to 50% more raw power than Xbox 1, thanks to the Xbox 1 using 3 OS taking up 3GB of RAM!

Source that it will be 50% less powerful than the PS4?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PS4 has up to 50% more raw power than Xbox 1,

Quoted in case you decide to edit in the future :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Yup which is what I said last night. :-P

So all that is left to clear up is if there is a fee to play 2nd hand games. Which Sony themselves said it's up to the developers already. Everyone still jumping ship?

Yes ill be jumping ship. I think thats terrible.

You cant borrow games off your mates anymore.

Obviously ill see if Sony are doing the same. If they dont, i cant see Microsoft doing that well.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Maybe he meant the PS4 will have 25% more RAM for the GAMES to use, the PS4 OS only needs 1GB where as the Xbox One will be using 3GB for the OS, considering how things went this generation surrounding the ram, that's a pretty big chunk to lock away.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This post just highlights how stupid the name Xbox One (The new one ;) ) is for a console when Xbox 1 (The old one) is so commonly used the describe the machine which came before the 360.

I read that whole post thinking of course the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox 1 (The old one), but on further reading it became clear that the poster was referring to Xbox 1 (the new one) and not the Xbox 1 (The old one) which actually makes more sense in the context of the thread.

:D

Suddenly 720 doesn't look such a bad name now :p
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Quoted in case you decide to edit in the future :p

Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz). We’ll have to wait and see how this hardware delta gets exposed in games over time, but the gap is definitely there. The funny thing about game consoles is that it’s usually the lowest common denominator that determines the bulk of the experience across all platforms.

On the plus side, the Xbox One should enjoy better power/thermal characteristics compared to the PlayStation 4. Even compared to the Xbox 360 we should see improvement in many use cases thanks to modern power management techniques.

Differences in the memory subsytems also gives us some insight into each approach to the next-gen consoles. Microsoft opted for embedded SRAM + DDR3, while Sony went for a very fast GDDR5 memory interface. Sony’s approach (especially when combined with a beefier GPU) is exactly what you’d build if you wanted to give game developers the fastest hardware. Microsoft’s approach on the other hand looks a little more broad. The Xbox One still gives game developers a significant performance boost over the previous generation, but also attempts to widen the audience for the console. It’s a risky strategy for sure, especially given the similarities in the underlying architectures between the Xbox One and PS4.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=562297
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz).

Very technical.:p

So please find me the part that says the console is 50% more powerful. All you have given me is a quote that has 'we'll have to wait and see' on the end of it

Has the GPU of the Xbox One even been confirmed yet?
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hackers will certainly be dying to get the new consoles even if we arent that fussed. New challenges