Options

Orange FUP - throttle speed if you exceed.

jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just had a text from Orange saying,
We've noticed you've exceeded your fair use limit in recent months. We wanted to make you aware that from September 2013, we will limit your speed if you exceed your fair usage policy in any given month. For more details on our policy and how to manage your data, visit http://web.orange.co.uk/tandcs it's free to access

Now the IPhone extra 51 plan has no fair usage limit and is unlimited and it clearly states that on the plan info & terms. I've phoned Orange but they'd said I need to make a complaint first for them to then pass it to the "legal" team.

Anyone else had one?

Comments

• Options
    danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Change the APN to the t-mobile one if you get speed capped., when i was with em a few years back that removed the cap.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote: »
    Just had a text from Orange saying,

Now the IPhone extra 51 plan has no fair usage limit and is unlimited and it clearly states that on the plan info & terms. I've phoned Orange but they'd said I need to make a complaint first for them to then pass it to the "legal" team.

Anyone else had one?

That's terrible.

How much did you actually use?

I remember promoting this plan on here saying Orange where the only network to rival Three (more expensive of course).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    That's terrible.

How much did you actually use?

I remember promoting this plan on here saying Orange where the only network to rival Three (more expensive of course).

Last month it was just under 80GB which is lower than normal.

I also recommended it to everyone just before we found out that it was going to be withdrawn from sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well let us know how you get on with Orange.

If i remember correctly i read through the T&C as well and there was no mention of fair use or throttling at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Got the same text today too.

I know it was the same thing, no fair usage policy, unlimited tethering, no speed slow down.

Only reason id be paying £51/month!

I don't want to terminate the contract either, I want to keep the unlimited data plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DD_nVidia wrote: »
    Got the same text today too.

I know it was the same thing, no fair usage policy, unlimited tethering, no speed slow down.

Only reason id be paying £51/month!

I don't want to terminate the contract either, I want to keep the unlimited data plan.

If they are going to enforce it on us then it *should* allow us to cancel penalty free as it would be to our detriment.

The plan would no longer be unlimited, or have a no fair usage cap which was the only real selling point of the plan.

At least it wasn't just me who got the message, I've only had it on 1 of our numbers though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well let us know how you get on with Orange.

If i remember correctly i read through the T&C as well and there was no mention of fair use or throttling at all.

I was going to wait and see if it actually happened in September but as others are getting the message too I think I'll put the complaint in writing over the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I called today, was told they weren't sure of the Fair Usage Policy but they did know they were getting more info after the 15/16th of this month.

They said it wouldn't be reason to cancel the contract though... I somewhat disagree with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DD_nVidia wrote: »
    I called today, was told they weren't sure of the Fair Usage Policy but they did know they were getting more info after the 15/16th of this month.

They said it wouldn't be reason to cancel the contract though... I somewhat disagree with that.

Thanks for letting us know.

I disagree as well, the plan was sold as unlimited with a no FUP so to now add a FUP means it's also no longer unlimited and puts us at a major disadvantage and Ofcom / CISAS should side with us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thing is, I was planning on getting an additional line on EE for 20GB data for 4G for use with the next iphone, and keeping the Extra 51 for tethering since I get 10-16Mbit speeds regularly in my area with it.

So cancelling while an option isn't the one I'd like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see what you mean.

If they honour the contract as it stands now then I'd be happy but what we don't yet know is if all they are doing is saying you can't go over 100GB per month or knocking us down to a fixed 20GB limit and if you go over you get charged.

EE certainly going out their way to upset customers though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see what you mean.

If they honour the contract as it stands now then I'd be happy but what we don't yet know is if all they are doing is saying you can't go over 100GB per month or knocking us down to a fixed 20GB limit and if you go over you get charged.

EE certainly going out their way to upset customers though.

Yep. Don't see what they have to gain by this.

I can totally understand load balancing going on in the back end; if a cell is overloaded then of course I'd expect EVERYONE to be slowed down. But if the cell has lots of spare capacity then why should I be penalised for actually wanting to use my allowance, that being unlimited!

Trying to find a whiff of the "Orange iPhone Extra 51" tariff online is a struggle! It seems like they've tried to erase it from the face of the earth!

I looked up the T&C for Post Feb 2012 (I think) PAYM contracts and found this:

Summary - It says if you are OUTSIDE of your ALLOWANCE - but if the allowance is UNLIMITED, then it would be impossible to be OUTSIDE of this allowance.

Also, they can't identify what you're using the connection for so how can they know if you're using video streaming services, IM, Video conferencing etc... seems odd
    4. Inclusive Mobile Internet: Mobile internet browsing applies within the UK only. Any use outside
    the UK will be charged at the relevant international rates. Mobile Internet browsing does not include
    event charges such as for ringtones or games (transport costs for these events are included). Not to
    be used for internet tethering (e.g. using your handset as a modem – separate inclusive tethering
    plans and/or tethered data bundles are available).
    5. Inclusive Tethering: You’ll need to be on one of our selected plans and have a compatible phone
    and computer. Tethering is subject to coverage and the allowances set out for your plan. Tethering
    (whether as part of an inclusive allowance or not) is not to be used for other services such as nonOrange internet based streaming services, voice or video over the internet, instant messaging, peer to
    peer file sharing.
    ii. Mobile Internet: Once you have used up any inclusive mobile internet allowance you will be
    charged a daily flat rate of £1.00 per day for out of bundle data usage. This is subject to a daily fair
    usage allowance of 25MB, and a monthly download limit of 500MB. 25MB provides enough data for
    normal levels of email usage and browsing. However, for customers who are planning to download
    and stream data we would recommend that you take up one of our 500MB or 1GB data bundles.
    Please note, should you regularly exceed the 25MB daily fair usage allowance and as a result, you
    reach your 500MB limit before the end of the monthly period, network protection controls may be
    applied to your service. This may result in a reduced speed of transmission and/or disconnection. See
    Mobile Internet terms for details of prohibited activities. Other terms apply, see
    www.orange.co.uk/terms.
    iii.Tethering: If you have used up any inclusive tethering allowance you may have, or if you use
    tethering on a plan without an inclusive allowance, it’ll cost a daily flat rate of £1 a day. If you’re on a
    plan that includes mobile internet and tethering and you use up your total data allowance for both
    services, you’ll pay £1 a day if you use tethering and £1 a day if you use mobile internet (as described
    above). This is subject to a daily fair usage allowance of 500MB tethering. Please note, should you
    reach your 500MB limit before the end of the monthly period, network protection controls may be
    applied to your service. This may result in a reduced speed of transmission and/or disconnection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They removed all traces of it in March, I've got screenshots and an official paper copy of the terms (made sure I got them for this very reason) but if you phone them they are supposed to send you a copy even though it is a legacy plan.

I did wonder why last month when I did an upgrade it would offer any phone free of charge as long as you changed to a different plan, and now it makes sense to get as many of us off it.

It certainly is strange, I guess all we can do is wait until they announce it to see just what they are doing :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Could you e-mail me a copy of these if you have them? That'd be awesome!

I phoned again, (after a 1 hour hold time) just to make sure, and another adviser checked with their manager whole said to disregard the text it wasn't supposed to be sent to people on our tariff!!!

Seriously.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Jon41 - Could you put the screenshots of the plan online? I've been arguing with Orange over Facebook, they told me all unlimited iPhone data plans are subject to a 750mb fair usage policy, at which your download speed is capped by 75%.

This is the link she sent me;

http://studio.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/pay-monthly-iPhone-terms2.html

This was not present when i signed up (why the hell would you choose a 750mb limit over a cheaper higher MB usage plan!?) and i'm certain it constitutes a breach of contract from their side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jon41 - Could you put the screenshots of the plan online? I've been arguing with Orange over Facebook, they told me all unlimited iPhone data plans are subject to a 750mb fair usage policy, at which your download speed is capped by 75%.

This is the link she sent me;

http://studio.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/pay-monthly-iPhone-terms2.html

This was not present when i signed up (why the hell would you choose a 750mb limit over a cheaper higher MB usage plan!?) and i'm certain it constitutes a breach of contract from their side.

Da ****????

No way. It was 100% unlimited with no fair use policy at all. That's been added in. I remember reading the T&C myself at the time and there was no mention of a 750mb fair use.

Time to contact the head office i think guys.

Although this part isn't exactly optimistic, then again what and when was the reasonable notice provided?
    Orange reserves the right to replace, amend or withdraw the bundles (in whole or part) or these terms at any time on reasonable notice.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Da ****????

No way. It was 100% unlimited with no fair use policy at all. That's been added in. I remember reading the T&C myself at the time and there was no mention of a 750mb fair use.

Time to contact the head office i think guys.

Although this part isn't exactly optimistic, then again what and when was the reasonable notice provided?

There's a variation clause, there always is, so they can just change the terms whenever they like. Of course that doesn't affect your statutory rights under the unfair training regulations. They have to notify you of any significant changes and then you have I think 30 days to lodge a complaint or request to cancel, once this is up you're deemed to have accepted the new terms. So it depends whether (a) they are deemed to be unfair and would impact you based on your usage and (b) when they changed them and if they notified you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    (a) they are deemed to be unfair and would impact you based on your usage and (b) when they changed them and if they notified you.

And that's exactly what i'm questioning
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth asking, they may have sent you a leaflet with your bill or put it on the back of the bill or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I've had my account flagged for a manager to contact me - i'll see what they have to say - anything other than basically "it's a mistake, carry on using as you were" will constitute me lodging a complaint and requesting cancellation.

My bills are all done online and i've had no other notice of this other than the initial text message.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I think judging by what some of you are being informed you are going to struggle to have it sorted or dealt with by those over the phone

send an email straight to the top...seeing as there are a few of you suffering this maybe those at the top need to pick this up?

executive.office@orange.co.uk

or

executive.office@ee.co.uk

I am pretty sure its the former.

Good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry all not at home but here's one screenshot for now.

I'll upload everything when I'm back

http://i42.tinypic.com/30sk94o.jpg

"no fair usage policy applies"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry all not at home but here's one screenshot for now.

I'll upload everything when I'm back

http://i42.tinypic.com/30sk94o.jpg

"no fair usage policy applies"

Fantastic.

And AyeUp - Yeah I think if everyone e-mailed with the same subject line it would help it be noticed too - i.e. Subject: Unfair FUP Addition to iPhone Extra 51 Tariff.

Going to give them a bell tomorrow and see if they have any more info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phoned yesterday, was confirmed (how "confirmed" it can be I'm not sure since I can't find anything to reference online) that the FUP would be 3GB.

Referencing

http://e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Orange/Terms%20and%20conditions/PAYM-terms-and-conditions-for-the-supply-of-Orange-Network-Services-20121031.pdf

4.3 says:

terminating your Contract because Orange has changed its terms
    4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we give you written notice to vary its terms,
    resulting in an increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this
    Contract to your material detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least
    14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us giving
    you written notice about the changes).