Haylie storyline hitting home to viewers

2»

Comments

• MadameLaMinxMadameLaMinx Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its being beautifully and carefully handled and doing a great job of staying true to the characters own personalities and how we might expect them to react in this situation. I am not a sentimentalist, however the occasional "moment" on TV will catch in my throat and I have been caught out notably on two occasions with "wet" eyes - during this storyline, and when Madge died in Neighbours. I happened upon that again in a Huff Post article about greatest Neighbours moments and there it was, and like a fool I watched it over and it was just as hard to watch the second time (due to my wet eyes, allergies or something, I expect.)

I have no doubt that this will clean up at the awards - although I think Emmerdale will give it some stiff competition for Best Exit when the Cameron storyline wraps up - but best couple, best storyline, and best actor and actress should ABSOLUTELY be heading their way at the very least.

This particular storyline is one of those that will become a classic in soap history books, and deservedly so. Beautiful stuff.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree I think that first time Roy been vulnerable yes I ve not read all her book I been watching show

Read the books Rizz...they pummel the show into the ground!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Cadhla* wrote: »
    Read the books Rizz...they pummel the show into the ground!!

ok thanks do you watch show like coronation street
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its being beautifully and carefully handled and doing a great job of staying true to the characters own personalities and how we might expect them to react in this situation. I am not a sentimentalist, however the occasional "moment" on TV will catch in my throat and I have been caught out notably on two occasions with "wet" eyes - during this storyline, and when Madge died in Neighbours. I happened upon that again in a Huff Post article about greatest Neighbours moments and there it was, and like a fool I watched it over and it was just as hard to watch the second time (due to my wet eyes, allergies or something, I expect.)

I have no doubt that this will clean up at the awards - although I think Emmerdale will give it some stiff competition for Best Exit when the Cameron storyline wraps up - but best couple, best storyline, and best actor and actress should ABSOLUTELY be heading their way at the very least.

This particular storyline is one of those that will become a classic in soap history books, and deservedly so. Beautiful stuff.

agree oh the producers said the Cameron storyline not over yet because he arrested
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks do you watch show like coronation street

Are you kidding I love Coronation Street! HAYLEY is an iconic character and I will hate to see her leave but I also think it is superb that CS has the courage to do this story. Brava!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you kidding I love Coronation Street! HAYLEY is an iconic character and I will hate to see her leave but I also think it is superb that CS has the courage to do this story. Brava!!

Sorry that was meant for another member that question I love Leanne Tilsley yes I thought they pushed the boat out well done I love corrie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry that was meant for another member that question I love Leanne Tilsley yes I thought they pushed the boat out well done I love corrie

How can you love Leanne?? Hideous character.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I think it is well done but if we still had Stephanie Cole in the mix, it could have been the best soap scenes ever.
    Even a short cameo would be amazing.

David Neilson and Julie Hesmondhalgh have delivered some of the best acting on television, let alone soap land the last 5-10 years. Worth watching Corrie alone for their scenes since the turn of the year.

The writing has been flawless, acting convincing and all true to who they are. As have some of the other characters after learning Hayley's predicament. I have no time for Fizz, or Anna for that matter, yet they have done quite well in certain scenes. As has Carla.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you love Leanne?? Hideous character.

She best at drama I love her story come from les and stella
    Janice as a step mother toyah and eva as half sisters

had to resort to prostitute been out with so many men married nick 2 married peter

Simon got to give her a medal for looking after simon

love the on off friendship Carla

the best actress for the live everyone said
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Brilliant acted by both and watching the last scene with Roy, very hard to watch. I just hope the actors get the recognition they both deserve. Long overdue IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackles27 wrote: »
    Brilliant acted by both and watching the last scene with Roy, very hard to watch. I just hope the actors get the recognition they both deserve. Long overdue IMO

i hope so
  • fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    fi_ona wrote: »
    This comment reminds me of when my mother passed away from terminal cancer 4 years ago. It was an horrific end.
    I was off work for 3 weeks. When I went back my delightful senior manager at my back to work interview said to me 'Why did you need 3 weeks off, your mother had terminal cancer, its not as if it came as a shock that she died, and you should already have come to terms with it'
    I didnt stay long after that, so I guess she wasnt a sentmentalist either.

As to this storyline, it is brilliantly acted, and they are doing a fine job, but I dont know how far through I'm going to be able to watch over the next few months.

Your senior manager at work and myself are not the same. That is a ridiculous and broad statement. I simply said that I have no difficulty watching the storyline unfold, mainly as I am always aware that Hayley is a pretend character and is only pretending to have cancer. It is a mixture of being slightly overacted and badly written.

For example, Hayley going out of her way with sycophantic "thank yous" to anyone who makes her a cup of tea, making out she is unimportant etc etc Is she not aware of how awful this is making other people feel ? If she was being as considerate as it appears, would she be asking for a party at the Rovers given the current circumstances with what has just happened there ? For example, she told Roy she wanted to talk to him about something. She told him she had told Fiz about Christian and he said "Well, it's all over now" and turned his back to walk away. Er... Roy, she wants to talk to you about it. She just said so.

I am not saying it is appalling, but I have to disagree with most views on here that it is award winning brilliance from the whole team. It is probably slighty superior to normal soap acting but nothing more.
  • fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Your senior manager at work and myself are not the same. That is a ridiculous and broad statement. I simply said that I have no difficulty watching the storyline unfold, mainly as I am always aware that Hayley is a pretend character and is only pretending to have cancer. It is a mixture of being slightly overacted and badly written.

For example, Hayley going out of her way with sycophantic "thank yous" to anyone who makes her a cup of tea, making out she is unimportant etc etc Is she not aware of how awful this is making other people feel ? If she was being as considerate as it appears, would she be asking for a party at the Rovers given the current circumstances with what has just happened there ? For example, she told Roy she wanted to talk to him about something. She told him she had told Fiz about Christian and he said "Well, it's all over now" and turned his back to walk away. Er... Roy, she wants to talk to you about it. She just said so.

I am not saying it is appalling, but I have to disagree with most views on here that it is award winning brilliance from the whole team. It is probably slighty superior to normal soap acting but nothing more.

Agree with the way you see it given your above examples.
    Suppose I'm still a little raw as its all to close for comfort, which you have brought home for me. So I will be avoiding it for my own good I think. :)
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be the only one it doesn't "choke up" I do think David Neilson is portraying his part in this very well though
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    fi_ona wrote: »
    Agree with the way you see it given your above examples.
    Suppose I'm still a little raw as its all to close for comfort, which you have brought home for me. So I will be avoiding it for my own good I think. :)

Without wishing to overdo it, mainly because I know most people do feel very emotional about it and I wouldn't want to make it a huge issue for them, but I was also very uncomfortable with Hayley arranging a party for Roy. Did she not know he would HATE the idea and feel totally out of place and awkward. She seemed to arrange it for herself.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the storyline has been so well done and acted. David Neilson is breaking my heart in pretty much every scene. The end of Friday's episode is probably the most emotional I've ever felt watching a soap. Everyone involved has been great, it's been so truthful. I love the scenes with Carla as well, Alison King is a fab actress and it adds a new element because of the connection between Hayley and Carla. Think it's going be tough watching over the next few months.
  • LadyChatterboxLadyChatterbox Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Yes when Roy was just sitting there on his own. My OH (never one to discuss feelings) said "No-one has thought of HIM" Of course, that isn't true and Tyrone and Fiz are thinking of him, in their ham-fisted way. I have had cancer myself, and thankfully recovered but for a time we did not know if I would, and I can remember how everyone fussed around me and did not acknowledge how hard things were for my OH

Anyway it set me thinking: one of the good things about TV soaps is that they can pave the way for people talking about things, having their feelings acknowledged, bringing things into the open. Though of course I realise not everyone wants to do this.
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so well done. ...from the storyline to the writing through to the acting, the production, the lighting ...everything.
    Even talking about it ; explaining that last scene to my partner makes me get tears.
    The writers have made us love Roy and Hayley. They made them good , honest caring characters. That's why we're so sad to be losing her.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many complaints there have been when Mary simply said the truth about people in Western societies just ignore death, and don't think about it often enough. I think about death everyday
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I love the way it is being written with Roy struggling to go along with Hayley's wishes and finding it difficult to understand her being upbeat when he wants to protect her. The awkwardness he feels when others express their emotions and not quite knowing how to respond is palpable, such great acting.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I think it is definitely the best storyline in Corrie and very well acted. It is especially touching since Roy relies so much on Haylie.