Mac OS X Mavericks Thread

Well here it is. The official thread to discuss anything related to the upcoming OS X Mavericks.

So who here will be upgrading when it does come out? I'll be waiting until any known problems are sorted out and then I'll decide whether to upgrade or not.

Comments

• MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to wait a while and let others find the bugs.

I'm thinking about replacing my 15" MacBook Pro so it could be that is how I get 10.9.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As per usual I'll wait for the reports about which apps have broken to start hitting roaringapps.com before I take the plunge. No point having a computer that can't run your software.
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    I really looking forward to getting iBooks on my Macs, but I might hang fire to see if I will replace my big silver Mac Pro with a black engine couling
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    As per usual I'll wait for the reports about which apps have broken to start hitting roaringapps.com before I take the plunge. No point having a computer that can't run your software.

But isn't one of the major selling points of Apple gear that "it just works" ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Take it to another thread :p
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I am going to wait a while and let others find the bugs.

Apple products have known problems, not bugs. Microsoft products have bugs and lots of them :D
    Maxatoria wrote: »

It is indeed :D
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait until at least 10.9.2 is released and see how other people with Hackintoshes get on.

Not a lot interesting to me in this release. The improved OpenGL support and removal of Skeuomorphic design elements are pretty much it.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still on Snow Leoperd!

My Late 2006 iMac (still working pretty well, for 7 years old!) certainly won't take Mavericks. It does look like a nice update, however. :)
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interested in seeing what this brings (not read much about it so far)

unfortunately my Mac is old and won't take anything after Lion

If I could, I would have got it on day one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    Not a lot interesting to me in this release. The improved OpenGL support and removal of Skeuomorphic design elements are pretty much it.
    My main use Mac (rather than the iMac I'm typing this into) is my MacBook Pro. I'm looking forward to the promised CPU efficiencies with multitasking, which should increase battery time, and the changes to the multi-screen support.

The iMac will probably get updated too once I decide to jump in, but there's less in Mavericks that will make any real difference to me on that machine.
    Forum Member
    I'm still on Snow Leoperd!

My Late 2006 iMac (still working pretty well, for 7 years old!) certainly won't take Mavericks. It does look like a nice update, however. :)

My Macbook Pro still runs SL as well and it will continue to run that OS until it snuffs it. As long as it does what I want it to do I see no reason to upgrade. I think Macs last longer than PCs. I've had my Macbook Pro three years and it still runs OSX and Windows 7 well. I put another 4GB RAM into it. A PC of the same era would probably have slowed down or even snuffed it altogether.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. A PC of the same era would probably have slowed down or even snuffed it altogether.
    My 12" laptop dates back to 2006. Its old ULP Intel Core Duo is not overly far behind the latest Intel Cores at the same clock rate.

The fitted SSD also means it is faster than new. I have an Acer from the same year. Cheap when new. Has a semi broken hinge and is slow but very usable.(I always covert my music CDs with it).No doubt it will be going to faster Linux when XP becomes high risk next year.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Macs last longer than PCs. I've had my Macbook Pro three years and it still runs OSX and Windows 7 well. I put another 4GB RAM into it. A PC of the same era would probably have slowed down or even snuffed it altogether.

Not really been the case for many years now. After all they're both built with the same components these days.

I picked up a 2007 refurb Macbook in early 2008 and ran it for around 3 years before selling it on (it still runs fine today).

My laptop today is a 2006 refurb Thinkpad X61 that i picked up for £100 a couple of years ago. Very similar specs to the Macbook (slightly slower processor and 4:3 screen). Spent another £120 on new battery, SSD, and 4GB of RAM and it ran much faster than the Macbook (even ran OS X on it for a while). Still working perfectly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of reliability, if you have a 64GB or 128GB Macbook from last year Apple have changed their mind and will replace those dodgy Toshiba SSDs for free.

Seems that Apple waited until the warranties have run out to do a silent recall. The larger Samsung ones are fine.

There is no mention of them writing to anyone, and obviously they have known for a long while now they are liable to fail.
    It even seems they even released a placebo May firmware update for it which they then withdrew.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Talking of reliability, if you have a 64GB or 128GB Macbook from last year Apple have changed their mind and will replace those dodgy Toshiba SSDs for free.

Oh? What's that about? I have a 128GB Macbook Air from 2012 (if that's the ones with the dodgy SSDs). Does that mean it needs replacing?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh? What's that about? I have a 128GB Macbook Air from 2012 (if that's the ones with the dodgy SSDs). Does that mean it needs replacing?

Check here. http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than likely.

They use a SandForce controller which even at launch time, AnanTech said ". Reliability, especially when taking SandForce's track record into account, is questionable". I imagine Sandforce, a relatively new California tech company sweetened the deal for Apple and Toshiba.

I'm sure you can test on-line whether yours is one of them and unless Apple commissioned the drive themselves I imagine it will affect not just Apple.
    Forum Member
    I've just read the article psionic posted. I hope mine isn't affected :( I bought it in July 2012 a week before the Olympics (which I enjoyed watching btw :D). I might have to run the test later. I might run it overnight and if dad says anything I'll tell him I'm doing updates or a backup (he'd notice the light from the screen).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mavericks is Free !
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting challenge to Microsoft. Mac OS free now.
    Forum Member
    If it's free I might consider it if there are no known problems.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest model Haswell and Crystalwell Macbook Pros have had price cuts. Still expensive though :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Mavericks is Free !
    That's awesome!
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently we can download it today but I can't find it anywhere