Options

Stupid windows

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I decided to reorganise my desktop computer, i got three drives, a 120GB SSD, a 500GB seagate hybrid and a old Hitachi 250GB

The way I had my machines was Linux on seagate, windows 8 on SSD, the 250 is used for files.
Grub was on the seagate so that was the boot drive and I could boot windows from that, or change the boot drive int he bios or what ever it is called these days.

So I wiped seagate and SSD, and divided the SSD in half more or less, my plan was and still is to run windows and linux on the SSd and use the seagate for windows software.

Because i have got the windows 8.1 ISO, I thought I may as well put that as clean install.

so I i installed windows and now i have found that it have put a reserved partition on the seagate drive instead of the SSD.
for goodness sake, now I have to start again.

Stupid windows.

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get why its stupid?
  • Options
    Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Stupid windows.

Not really. With Grub on the 500GB boot drive you cannot expect Windows to 'know' that you want the boot drive to be moved to the SSD.

You need to reconfigure Grub so that the boot drive is the SSD by running ....

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

sudo update-grub

Then install Windows making sure it is to the SSD. Finally you will need to repair Grub as Windows will wipe it out.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another case of the user not knowing what they are doing and blaming the kit instead?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    More like a case of a stupid operating system creating a new partition without asking you where you want it (or IF you want it).

Windows 8.0 (clean *and* upgrade) didn't do that for me though IIRC, when I installed it, so is 8.1 different in that respect?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I decided to reorganise my desktop computer, i got three drives, a 120GB SSD, a 500GB seagate hybrid and a old Hitachi 250GB

The way I had my machines was Linux on seagate, windows 8 on SSD, the 250 is used for files.
    Grub was on the seagate so that was the boot drive and I could boot windows from that, or change the boot drive int he bios or what ever it is called these days.

So I wiped seagate and SSD, and divided the SSD in half more or less, my plan was and still is to run windows and linux on the SSd and use the seagate for windows software.

Because i have got the windows 8.1 ISO, I thought I may as well put that as clean install.

so I i installed windows and now i have found that it have put a reserved partition on the seagate drive instead of the SSD.
    for goodness sake, now I have to start again.

Stupid windows.

Did you not look to see where the partition was being put? I'm guessing SSD would have been in the list.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both drives was wiped clean, the only drive with stuff on it was the 250Gb hitachi drive. I must replace that one soon.

I even partitions the SSD into two ready and clicked on the partiton I wanted windows to install on. I have been doing this long enough to know what I am doing.
    Sure I am not so up to date with Linux, but Linux was not installed at the time.
    So because I did not leave any room on the install drive for windows to make it useless reserve partition, it put it on another drive.

Anyway, sorted now, I partitioned both the drives and formated them to the way I wanted it laid out, I gave windows no choice as it would have to reformat the drive to put it partition on.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Did you not look to see where the partition was being put? I'm guessing SSD would have been in the list.

Just to say that the size of the drives will be displayed and not what kind they are. Completely forgot about that.