Athletics 2014

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Oh no. I missed the start. Have I missed anything apart from the usual chat?

The one thing you can guarantee with BBC athletics coverage is that chat will be ladled out very generously, with little nuggets of action inbetween.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing you can guarantee with BBC athletics coverage is that chat will be ladled out very generously, with little nuggets of action inbetween.

Lol. I made my lunch whilst Will Sharman was interviewed. Didn't miss a thing!
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really impressed with Team Scotland today!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did they say about Greg Rutherford?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    What did they say about Greg Rutherford?

Denise thought he'd been making bad decisions....

Overall, it was a bit difficult to judge the standard because a lot of events were scratch races, but I suppose James Dasaolu's 6.50 for the 60m was very good by any standards.

Next event up is a meet from Dusseldorf on Eurosport 2 at 19:00 on Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke Cutts beat the British indoor pole-vault record at a meeting in Rouen over the weekend - he posted 5.83, a personal best by 13cm and a big step towards world class. It's actually better than the outdoor record, which is 5.82. Let's hope he doesn't suffer from the Holly Bleasedale syndrome - able to land big jumps in meaningless events, but not when it counts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/25910904
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really impressed with Team Scotland today!!

So was I. They put in a some great performances.

Unlike the stadium timer. It was wrong for a few of the sprint races. Annoyingly over, which caused some strange looks from the sprinters at the end of their races.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise hazel news? what do you think?
    i think it's unbelievable. and not in a good way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Next event up is a meet from Dusseldorf on Eurosport 2 at 19:00 on Thursday.

Just a reminder for this tomorrow.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    louise hazel news? what do you think?
    i think it's unbelievable. and not in a good way.

I did smirk and muttered. "Oh because Jess is 'up the duff', right?" Then I read the article, and at least she was honest about it. :D

Louise is a good competitor, nothing special, but she gives it her best. KJT looks a far better bet for the medal podium though. That's if she fancies a couple of rainy days in Glasgow of course. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did smirk and muttered. "Oh because Jess is 'up the duff', right?" Then I read the article, and at least she was honest about it. :D

Louise is a good competitor, nothing special, but she gives it her best. KJT looks a far better bet for the medal podium though. That's if she fancies a couple of rainy days in Glasgow of course. ;-)

Yeah at least she was honest but at the same time, announcing a retirement then coming back months later? No dignity. I'm all for making things happen for yourself but sometimes you have to let things pass and realise you've had your time. I'll be cheering on KJT!

And how about 6.08m for Renaud Levillanie! So so happy for him after they ended up disqualifying his 6.06m. New national record!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurosport have another German meet tonight, delayed coverage at 23:30.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eurosport have another German meet tonight, delayed coverage at 23:30.

It was a good watch. Especially the new world record! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a good watch. Especially the new world record! :)

All the more since it wiped one of the old doped ones.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the more since it wiped one of the old doped ones.

She's on fire at the moment. Took another indoor WR in the 3000 - and this time it wasn't one of the doped ones either ;-)
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the Grand Prix is heading to Glasgow form London this year.

Will, or should there be a Para Athletes super sunday like the one at London last year?

Or like the Commonwealth Games, maybe some Para Events which won't be at the Games in the mainstream programme?
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to say well done to Katrina Johnson-Thompson. Broke the british women's high jump record held by Jess and others. About seven cm better than her previous best too - that's some improvement. She needs to improve her throws, but if she goes to the Wealths fully fit she'll be on for her first senior medal... maybe even gold depending on what the Canadians do...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say well done to Katrina Johnson-Thompson. Broke the british women's high jump record held by Jess and others. About seven cm better than her previous best too - that's some improvement. She needs to improve her throws, but if she goes to the Wealths fully fit she'll be on for her first senior medal... maybe even gold depending on what the Canadians do...

Been caught up with the Olympics so haven't been giving athletics much attention, but it looks like there were some good performances overall at the British trials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/26101829
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could come a little sooner at the World Indoors next Month, depending on who enters.

Some great performances all round yesterday. Good to see Pozzi back in some decent form after injury.
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British Trails were excellent to watch this year! I watched them through the live stream on British YouTube channel.

Athletes that won their events yesterday and have guaranteed their place at the World Indoors for Team GB:

Andy Vernon - 3000m
    Will Sharman - 60mH
    Andy Pozzi - 60mH
    Holly Bleasdale - Pole Vault
    Asha Phillip - 60m
    James Dasaolu - 60m

Streaming starts again today at 12pm! Lots of finals on today!
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the round up video of the action from yesterday:
    http://youtu.be/2O0vw9eU3C4
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That start by Dasaolu in the 60m was atrocious. His raw speed was rather impressive though; a better start may have got him a European Indoor Record (currently 6.42 by Chambers), or pretty damn close.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That start by Dasaolu in the 60m was atrocious. His raw speed was rather impressive though; a better start may have got him a European Indoor Record (currently 6.42 by Chambers), or pretty damn close.

yeah and i bet james would be happy to break a record of dwain's... anyone read that article about how he has no time for him?
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJT - 6.75m in the LJ, U23 British Indoor Record, World Indoor Qualifying standard and second only to Shara Proctor in UK indoor history. She's moving up to a different level now.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great stuff by KJT. She's doing a Pentathlon in Holland next weekend so can't wait to see what she scores there. And apparantly young Morgan Lake has broken Kluft's World Youth record. So a good weekend for our young Multi Eventers.