Options

Is EastEnders beginning to feel more modern?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm glad DTC is taking EE into this day and age. I know he hasn't finished yet (as not all new sets are done), but there are times when the show feels more modern.

The Carters have quite a modern feel, with Johnny being gay, Mick playing dart drinking games with his own grown up son with Tina joining (yes, some parents and their grown up children do get drunk together these days).

I also like how they are playing more modern songs. I'm not sure if they did before as I didn't watch much until Michael's murder. However, I like how they are playing club songs at times which is very prominent in the charts these days, like Eat Sleep Rave Repeat and Booyah (Showtek). And also seeing everyone dance in the Vic to Booyah at NYE (before Carl was hit on the bottle).

I like the crude (but not breaking pre-watershed rules) talk too. Like the "would you sleep with a serial killer for £10,000" game (for example), I have been in a friendship group in a pub where they asked REALLY crude ones which I won't say on here. Whitney, Johnny and Lauren playing truth or dare and twister (yes, twister can happen with young people, as it's funny) was quite good too. All of that just feels more realistic.

Not sure if you agree with me as these are very small parts, but it is just noticeable.

Comments

• Options
    Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely!

The Carter's have definitely made the show feel fresh!

I don't however, want the show to become too modern. We have Hollyoaks for that. It's just about getting the balance right I suppose. So far, I'm liking what I am seeing. Although, I thought we would have heard of more bigger storylines, perhaps DTC is keeping some tricks up his sleeve.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like how they are playing more modern songs. I'm not sure if they did before as I didn't watch much until Michael's murder. However, I like how they are playing club songs at times which is very prominent in the charts these days, like Eat Sleep Rave Repeat and Booyah (Showtek).

:D Lmao. They've always played recent songs in the background.

It's just that, unlike Hollyoaks, they don't run through the Top 40 every week with montages. :D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the music played at Halloween when Michael died. Was darkly humorous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

It's just that, unlike Hollyoaks, they don't run through the Top 40 every week with montages. :D

I remember Do What U Want by Lady Gaga being played that's it. Did they also play songs like Don't You Worry Child, any recent Calvin Harris tracks, that sort of stuff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Do What U Want by Lady Gaga being played that's it. Did they also play songs like Don't You Worry Child, any recent Calvin Harris tracks, that sort of stuff?

Whether it's Calvin Harris or not, it is recent music no matter the genre.

Did you think they only play 80s music or something? :confused:

You say you've only really been watching since Michael's murder so your observation is a little confusing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D.

Not a fan I take it ;-). Don't worry I can't stand it either.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One direction should be on phils radio!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether it's Calvin Harris or not, it is recent music no matter the genre.

Did you think they only play 80s music or something? :confused:

You say you've only really been watching since Michael's murder so your observation is a little confusing.

Yeah sorry. I did say that I couldn't be sure of my observation.

BIB: I suppose, it's just that music has changed so much in the changes in the last few years. In 2007/2008 R&B seemed like the main genre, now it's club/dance. It just felt like recent club/dance weren't played much, and half of the charts have it so I just thought it is good to be real.
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes we all play that very modern game of Twister and Truth and Dare. What will these crazy modern kids come up with next.;-)
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    You'll never see anything past the 90's on my radio or at my local. Despite what you may think Peter, numerous folk still live in the 'dark ages'. ;-)

I don't want Eastenders to feel 'modern'.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. It doesn't really feel any more modern under DTC than it did under Kirkwood and Newman. Just less PC than normal. That could be why it may feel more modern to some viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MontyD wrote: »
    Oh yes we all play that very modern game of Twister and Truth and Dare. What will these crazy modern kids come up with next.;-)

:D:D:D

How barmy. I've noticed a shift in the show since DTC took over but some people take it too far.

I'm expecting a "The weather has never looked more beautiful in the show since DTC arrived. The brickwork on Bianca's house has never been so perfect". :p
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Not really. It doesn't really feel any more modern under DTC than it did under Kirkwood and Newman. Just less PC than normal. That could be why it may feel more modern to some viewers.

Yeah, the general dialogue is more sharp and a bit more risky than we have had previously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Yeah, the general dialogue is more sharp and a bit more risky than we have had previously.

...and less PC.

Which all in all is a good thing for the show - this will attract people to watching it and not put them off and add to the buzz which seems to be around the show at the mo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronnie shouting "bastard" when she killed Carl, think it was the first time the word was used since Janine referred Lily as a "bastard" child.

Even though there isn't many actual stronger words like "bitch", there has been a lot more innuendos in scripts, like Dexter and his "crown jewels" lol.

What does PC mean btw?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does PC mean btw?

Politically correct, a very dangerous thing to be.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »

Yeah. That's very true. You can see DTC is putting his own stamp on the scripts.

...and less PC.

Which all in all is a good thing for the show - this will attract people to watching it and not put them off and add to the buzz which seems to be around the show at the mo.

It is a good thing indeed. I think DTC phrased it as giving "EE its balls back" and he certainly seems to be doing that. Fair play to the guy.
    The Ofcom Mafia won't be far behind to complain about every little thing though :D.