Options

Wilko paint

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it any good? We had a wilko open up here just before Christmas and it is in a place easy to get to for me. I am starting to decorate in the next couple of weeks and they sell their own brand of paint, not a bad price either.

Have anyone here used it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My sister used Wilkinson's own brand to paint her kitchen and it was absolutely fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister used Wilkinson's own brand to paint her kitchen and it was absolutely fine.

Thanks, I thought it would be. I think I will try a tester first on this room just to see.

this room have not been touch for 10 years, so time it was done I think :) I will then do the rest of the house room by room .

i got some painting pad set, but the company who made the pads seems to have gone belly up. Um, Still got some that are ok, so they will have to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, Wilko paint is fine. I've bought various colours of emulsion and it's all done the job.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Thanks, I thought it would be. I think I will try a tester first on this room just to see.

this room have not been touch for 10 years, so time it was done I think :) I will then do the rest of the house room by room .

i got some painting pad set, but the company who made the pads seems to have gone belly up. Um, Still got some that are ok, so they will have to do.

Have fun noise ... rather you than me. :) I can't abide any type of decorating, but wish I did. Would save me a fortune on decorators. :)
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I used gloss not too long ago and it was fine.

Was slightly strange getting it though, I asked for a carrier bag and the woman behind the till told me she wasn't allowed to give me one in case the bag split. Is this common lol?
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the Wilkos gloss not as good and yellows quite quickly but the rest of the paint is fine. I pick up the white paint for a fiver rather than the dulux one. The other colours are nice too. Regarding the carrier bag thing, they tie it around the handle rather than put it in a bag my way but sometimes they hide it in a carrier too and you just have to hold the paint handles because you're not allowed on buses with paint, so you have to disguise it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to add that I find wilkos paint to be far superior to Dulux. I mainly use their matt emulsion and water based satin wood. I have been using it for well over 10 years and have had no problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks peoples, I will not be using gloss, never liked gloss to be honest, prefer a sheen on woodwork, well I prefer woodwork to be woodwork to be honest, but the wood in this house have been painted over and over again for so many years that to strip it back would take too long. If it was my own house then yes i would do that.

As for paint on buses I never knew that you are not suppose to take paint onto buses. I can hide it, that is no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have fun noise ... rather you than me. :) I can't abide any type of decorating, but wish I did. Would save me a fortune on decorators. :)

i am not looking forward to it to be honest, that is why I am starting with this computer room, it will not take much,
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the Wilkos gloss not as good and yellows quite quickly....

Blame EU regulations - all brands are affecred
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9188572/Dulux-pays-thousands-in-compensation-after-Brilliant-White-gloss-fades-to-yellow.html
    "The problem emerged in 2010 after the European Union forced all companies to reduce the amount of Volitle Organic Compounds (VOCs) in their oil-based paints.
    Firms, including Dulux, were forced to reformulate their paints, but that led to its 'brilliant white' substance losing its colour."
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find wilko have quite a poor selection of paint and it is more expensive than homebase
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I find wilko have quite a poor selection of paint and it is more expensive than homebase

Ive found wilkos paint to be good but its not as good as homebase paint for emulsion. The satinwood paints are good from either store.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Blame EU regulations - all brands are affecred
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9188572/Dulux-pays-thousands-in-compensation-after-Brilliant-White-gloss-fades-to-yellow.html
    "The problem emerged in 2010 after the European Union forced all companies to reduce the amount of Volitle Organic Compounds (VOCs) in their oil-based paints.
    Firms, including Dulux, were forced to reformulate their paints, but that led to its 'brilliant white' substance losing its colour."

I remember reading that some man sued a company either dulux or crown because his pure brilliant white wasn't pure brilliant white for very long and he won.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading that some man sued a company either dulux or crown because his pure brilliant white wasn't pure brilliant white for very long and he won.

Yes, that's the story in the link:D

"Colin Beare, 58, was offered £500 in compensation after 11 doors of his home and the flat he rents went yellow just weeks after he applied the paint.
    But the general manager at a car salvage yard, from Gillingham, Dorset, is now taking the company to the Small Claims Court - because he reckons it will cost £2,000 to re-paint."
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've used wilco paint ..... But not for,a while .... And it was,fine.
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found their emulsion to be a very nice consistency with very good coverage, had a beautiful blue in my old house, moved and went to buy it again (as all the bedding curtains etc. are too nice to change the decorating scheme)was really disappointed that they don't do the same shade anymore, so ended up paying well over the odds for Farrow and Ball, only one the same colour, never mind, looks great.... just would rather have paid less for Wilko's
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was slightly strange getting it though, I asked for a carrier bag and the woman behind the till told me she wasn't allowed to give me one in case the bag split. Is this common lol?

No its not common, and if anyone tried that with me they would get the response. "Sorry but I can't pay for it in case your till breaks" You are a paying customer so have the right to a carrier bag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are allowed to give you a bag, but they can't put it in the bag for you, because the bags arn't designed for carrying paint and we get alot of spillages from people who don't listen to that, i'm not actually on the tills but that's what were told when we start.

As for the paint itself it's very good paint, i know at one stage we were told it was made in the same place as Crown, whether that was true or still is true i don't know but i know alot of tradesman where i live swear by Wilko paint and buy it from us all the time, i know i sound like a walking advert, but i've genuinely used Wilko paint almost all my life in my house and never had a problem, infact one time Wilko didn't do the colour i wanted for my bedroom and had to get Dulux and they are both comparable in quality, coverage and finish.

Just because it is made in the same place, it don't mean it is the same. Lots of food stuff is produced in the same place as other food stuff, but they are not all the same.

Well, i am going to pop into town after work, I was not going to go to work, but I have to as something have popped up, then I will pop into town and get a tester.

thanks anyway
  • Options
    Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member

They are allowed to give you a bag, but they can't put it in the bag for you, because the bags arn't designed for carrying paint and we get alot of spillages from people who don't listen to that, i'm not actually on the tills but that's what were told when we start.

As for the paint itself it's very good paint, i know at one stage we were told it was made in the same place as Crown, whether that was true or still is true i don't know but i know alot of tradesman where i live swear by Wilko paint and buy it from us all the time, i know i sound like a walking advert, but i've genuinely used Wilko paint almost all my life in my house and never had a problem, infact one time Wilko didn't do the colour i wanted for my bedroom and had to get Dulux and they are both comparable in quality, coverage and finish.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno about Wilco paint but I just bought some Crown kitchen paint from B&Q, it's on buy one get one half price which made my two tins cheaper than two tins from Wilcos if that's any help to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    I dunno about Wilco paint but I just bought some Crown kitchen paint from B&Q, it's on buy one get one half price which made my two tins cheaper than two tins from Wilcos if that's any help to you.

Thanks, but B and Q is out of town, and i would have to get a taxi back from there and by the time I did that it would not work out any cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a small pot, colour is surf and tried it on the wall, I think i may have spread it out a bit much, but it looks ok. been a while since I done any painting. :) It maybe a bit darker than I thought, but to be honest it looks good, so next weekend I will pop into town and get a full size pot, i will start sorting this room out in the week after work and move most of the stuff into the bedroom.

See what it looks like when it dries.

Need to pick a colour for the woodwork as well.

also notice it don't smell like paint use to, maybe it well a bit more when I do the whole room.
  • Options
    JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Wilko emulsion is fine - I've used it on the walls in my kitchen.

I wouldn't use their Satin wood though - Dulux trade oil-based Satinwood is very good (imo).

I wouldn't paint with pads though - they're a pain in the derriere. I'd get a roller on an extendable pole with some emulsion rollers - much easier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Wilko emulsion is fine - I've used it on the walls in my kitchen.

I wouldn't use their Satin wood though - Dulux trade oil-based Satinwood is very good (imo).

I wouldn't paint with pads though - they're a pain in the derriere. I'd get a roller on an extendable pole with some emulsion rollers - much easier.

I personally hate the mess that results from using a full sized roller, so I paint the wall with a brush first and then do a scond coat with a radiator roller dipping the roller in the tin saving on washing up.