Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I did find it strange that even with a wrong turn and ending up on the wrong road for an entire day, they still managed to arrive at a pre-arranged stop over, that had been booked by the production team in the completely wrong direction.

Enjoyed it on the whole as ever, 3 blokes arsing around, great stuff for a winters evening.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "mentally-masturbate"

How can one do that..:p
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I caught (as in what one does with smallpox) the last 5 minutes, and it was enough to know.

Luckily the programme about Banger Racers featured more intelligent examples of the human species.

Yeah right. Deleted that 'car crash' after 10 mins.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    We might all know that it is all faked, oooops sorry scripted, but I suspect you will find a large proportion of the viewing audience actually believe it is real.

What?:o

Are they the same people who believe in Father Christmas & The Tooth Fairy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    even when these specials are drawn out, the scenery saves it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burma is some place.

A country with little or no road safety whatsoever.

Right hand drive vehicles driving on the RIGHT: utter madness!

Why don't they switch to driving back on the Left, or if that is too expensive, start importing & selling Left hand drive cars?:confused:

LHD imports to Burma would be uneconomic. All its neighbours drive RHD - India, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Thailand. Plus the cheap secondhand surplus from Japan. Hardly a surprise that there are few LHD cars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    LHD imports to Burma would be uneconomic. All its neighbours drive RHD - India, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Thailand. Plus the cheap secondhand surplus from Japan. Hardly a surprise that there are few LHD cars.

Thanks for that.

I suppose it would be logistically a nightmare to switch back to driving on the Left too, so the poor citizens are left to drive on the wrong side of the road with Right hand drive vehicles.

It's amazing there are any Burmese people still living.:o;-)
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    We might all know that it is all faked, oooops sorry scripted, but I suspect you will find a large proportion of the viewing audience actually believe it is real.

Well a few might. and in a way I envy them. I always enjoy these items, like many others totally uninterested in cars per se! I find I can enjoy these silly shows as much as say, a good routine by Stewart Lee who isn't the biggest fan of the show.
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    An interesting thread; at times it seems to be cheerleaders vs haters :)

I'm in neither camp, but I do watch Top Gear regularly. The specials are OK, but they have become formulaic; it's pretty much the same script in a different country and last night's wasn't particularly memorable. I'm also not a fan of the two-part special; no doubt it helps sell DVDs but for me a tightly edited one-hour show would be preferable.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I would imagine that devoteesof Last of the Summer Wine, would find TG more amenable to their tastes, to be honest. Similar type of programme. Doddery, silly old and old-ish men getting themselves into highly contrived and nonsensical situations.
    Personally, I don't know which is the funnier or amusing or puerile. I'll have to muse on that.
    I dozed off during last night's episode but probably didn't miss much that I have already seen before in similar shennanigans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pward1965 wrote: »
    An interesting thread; at times it seems to be cheerleaders vs haters :)

I'm in neither camp, but I do watch Top Gear regularly. The specials are OK, but they have become formulaic; it's pretty much the same script in a different country and last night's wasn't particularly memorable. I'm also not a fan of the two-part special; no doubt it helps sell DVDs but for me a tightly edited one-hour show would be preferable.

I think you're spot on.

These specials do now feel the same & they certainly don't need to be in 2 parts.

I still enjoy them, but I tend to treat them as if am I watching, 'Wish You Were Here' rather than TG.

I knew very little about Burma prior to yesterday & whilst I'm still not an expert, I have learned some things about it which I found interesting.
  • Options
    ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    And I'm going to watch it again tonight, and laugh at the same gags. Why - BECAUSE ITS FUNNY.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    ukbadge wrote: »
    And I'm going to watch it again tonight, and laugh at the same gags. Why - BECAUSE ITS FUNNY.

Oh how I wish that I was easily pleased like yoursel,f as my life would be so much happier. I find virtually nothing funny nowadays. Must be an age thing?:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    it's 2 parts of 1 hour because bbc wont want to do it in 90mins probably.
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get it. People seem to be suddenly aware of this programme called Top Gear and have to watch it to then come on here and elsewhere and tell everyone that they hate it or think it shouldn't be on?!

Fortunately, enough think it entertains and is very successful in its format and thus will not be influenced by those who should just naff off.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with this from The Guardian review by Sam Wollaston

"But here it's not so much about what they say, as what they do. And what the producer and the whole team did to make it all happen.

It must have been a vast – yes, almost military – operation: commandeering vehicles, fixers, setting up stunts, paying people off, clearing up, the spilt fruit, the bricks, the trees, the snapped overhead lines, the horses. But the result is, a very entertaining hour of television. Two hours in fact – there's more next weekend and it looks equally fabulous,"

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/mar/10/top-gear-review-jeremy-clarkson
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I waded through the other 50 minutes of televisual effluent to see the Aaron Paul piece, which I wouldn't have missed for the world, although needless to say, Clarkson made a pathetic interviewer. Obviously hadn't seen the series proper, otherwise he wouldn't have been fumbling for things to ask. This man takes the crown not only as the most odious man on television, but one of the dimmest too.

I can't believe it's audience is dense enough to allow this farce to continue for much longer. Luck has to run out for the tiresome threesome sometime soon, surely?
    I caught (as in what one does with smallpox) the last 5 minutes, and it was enough to know.

Luckily the programme about Banger Racers featured more intelligent examples of the human species.

Do you only have one channel available on a Sunday night

or
    Do you really like TG and are just in denial?

or
    Do you just watch it to have something to get angry and insulting about?

Trev.....just go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite knowing the "accidents" were all engineered, I enjoyed it. That's what it's all about - entertainment. If people took it as such, instead of trying to analyse every last movement, I think they would be a lot happier. And there's always the "off" button or a change of Channels, if a programme really gets on your t**s. But of course if moaners did that, then there wouldn't be anything for them to moan about and that would spoil their "entertainment". :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiexen wrote: »
    I have to agree with this from The Guardian review by Sam Wollaston

"But here it's not so much about what they say, as what they do. And what the producer and the whole team did to make it all happen.

It must have been a vast – yes, almost military – operation: commandeering vehicles, fixers, setting up stunts, paying people off, clearing up, the spilt fruit, the bricks, the trees, the snapped overhead lines, the horses. But the result is, a very entertaining hour of television. Two hours in fact – there's more next weekend and it looks equally fabulous,"

That's right. They must travel with a huge support crew. Does anyone really think that that Hammond and May cleared the bricks by themselves or that the 3 of them actually spent the night in that "basic" hotel or that that luxury place really had no rooms?

It's about as realistic as Dr Who. But it's still great fun.
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great fun as usual - well done chaps.

Here's a hint - if you don't like TG then you can always either switch your telly set orf or watch an alternative channel. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    I think you're spot on.

These specials do now feel the same & they certainly don't need to be in 2 parts.

I still enjoy them, but I tend to treat them as if am I watching, 'Wish You Were Here' rather than TG.

I knew very little about Burma prior to yesterday & whilst I'm still not an expert, I have learned some things about it which I found interesting.

The two parts is down to budget cuts. A 7 episode series is really only 5 actual studio episodes with a foreign trip now spread over the last 2 episodes. Saves them having to make one extra studio episode.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Great fun as usual - well done chaps.

Here's a hint - if you don't like TG then you can always either switch your telly set orf or watch an alternative channel. Just a thought.

Yes but what would the sad bastards who come on here moaning have to complain about then? You'd think they'd be happier reading the New Statesman or the Guardian on a Sunday night or preparing their real museli for their morning cycle to work and their diversity officer's job at the local council.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Always amazes me how seriously some people take their TV viewing, defending their favourite programmes to the bitter end and telling others to naff off because they don't agree with them.

TG is okay, not brilliant, but not rubbish. I take if for what it is and have forgotten it by the next day. It fills an hour of my commute on iPlayer so for me it does it's job.
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Always amazes me how seriously some people take their TV viewing, defending their favourite programmes to the bitter end and telling others to naff off because they don't agree with them.

TG is okay, not brilliant, but not rubbish. I take if for what it is and have forgotten it by the next day. It fills an hour of my commute on iPlayer so for me it does it's job.

I agree and feel the same about TG. Often though I feel compelled to stand up to some of those who imply or state outright that you must be dense to spend my time watching what is, as you say, a nice way to fill an hour.

Most pro comments are not to defend a favourite program but to defend a program that does not deserve to be called a waste of public money only watched by those who are dense.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    Trev.....just go!

My licence fee is worth the same as yours.

Do not tell me on what I can and cannot comment on. It's supposed to be a public forum.
This discussion has been closed.