Options

Sophie May Williams

13»

Comments

• Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie or Jermaine are going to win this without a shadow of doubt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Sophie or Jermaine are going to win this without a shadow of doubt.

I'm pretty sure you said the same thing about Tamera on X Factor last year ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you said the same thing about Tamera on X Factor last year ;-)

Talking about Tamera, which is off topic i know, she has been signed up by SYCO. I said it would'nt be long before she got a recording contract. The same will happen for Sophie regardless of whether she wins or not.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Talking about Tamera, which is off topic i know, she has been signed up by SYCO. I said it would'nt be long before she got a recording contract. The same will happen for Sophie regardless of whether she wins or not.

So Jermaine will win and Sophie definitely get a recording contract :confused: Will anyone else get a recording contract or is it only going to be these 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Jermaine will win and Sophie definitely get a recording contract :confused: Will anyone else get a recording contract or is it only going to be these 2?

I think Anna Mcluckie is pretty certain to get a recording contract, and Iesher may well do when she has gained more experience.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I think Anna Mcluckie is pretty certain to get a recording contract, and Iesher may well do when she has gained more experience.

So the 2 favourites: Christine Marie and Sally will not win or get recording contracts? Interesting. I shall definitely make a note of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the 2 favourites: Christine Marie and Sally will not win or get recording contracts? Interesting. I shall definitely make a note of this.

It's possible that they could, but i have my doubts. Time will tell.
  • Options
    AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should sing "Addicted To You" by Avicii. That would be quite good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6xokv_0cyQ
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not so sure Anna would get a contract though, she sounded amazing in the blinds, a bit pitchy in places but otherwise very good. Then the battles came and it was the same story and the knockouts again the very same story - vocally she did nothing different at all through out her time on the Voice and even what I heard of her collaboration with Jessica Steele wasn't not much different vocally either despite the lack of harp. It was the harp that got her through the battles effectively and it showed in the knockout results. Don't get me wrong, I really quite liked her and have said that I would think of getting an album from her but she would vocally have to do more than I have heard so far for me to buy the album.

Sorry bit off topic :blush: but I think Sophie was one of the weaker contestants to get to the finals and I did disagree with her being put through but never mind she'll never win it, there are stronger singers in the competition more likely to gain the public votes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure Anna would get a contract though, she sounded amazing in the blinds, a bit pitchy in places but otherwise very good. Then the battles came and it was the same story and the knockouts again the very same story - vocally she did nothing different at all through out her time on the Voice and even what I heard of her collaboration with Jessica Steele wasn't not much different vocally either despite the lack of harp. It was the harp that got her through the battles effectively and it showed in the knockout results. Don't get me wrong, I really quite liked her and have said that I would think of getting an album from her but she would vocally have to do more than I have heard so far for me to buy the album.

Sorry bit off topic :blush: but I think Sophie was one of the weaker contestants to get to the finals and I did disagree with her being put through but never mind she'll never win it, there are stronger singers in the competition more likely to gain the public votes.

What does 'pitchy' mean? Only everybody and their dogs seem to be using that term now, since Sir Tom uses it so much.

I'm not so sure it's about being weak or strong as a singer. Those two adjectives are rarely applied to the quality of a singing voice, because they are so subjective.

I think a programme like this should be looking at who might be a rare talent, somebody who makes you sit up and listen when they sing. Sophie has that quality. What is she? Nineteen? She has promise, as she has individuality, or had it before Will trashed her look. Hopefully she'll go back to being Sophie May who wears vintage and sings jazz, and who doesn't care about being a commercial success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    What does 'pitchy' mean? Only everybody and their dogs seem to be using that term now, since Sir Tom uses it so much.

I'm not so sure it's about being weak or strong as a singer. Those two adjectives are rarely applied to the quality of a singing voice, because they are so subjective.

I think a programme like this should be looking at who might be a rare talent, somebody who makes you sit up and listen when they sing. Sophie has that quality. What is she? Nineteen? She has promise, as she has individuality, or had it before Will trashed her look. Hopefully she'll go back to being Sophie May who wears vintage and sings jazz, and who doesn't care about being a commercial success.

Sophie is just 17, and last night on the Beeb 2 spin off programme Will said that he would be doing some work with her. Like you, not sure why he changed her look. She looked great in her firrst addition with her hair up. She has a good future ahead.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting that the four finalists are the four chosen first by the judges to go through to the lives. Why bother putting us through the last two shows if their favourites were chosen for the final weeks ago
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    It is interesting that the four finalists are the four chosen first by the judges to go through to the lives. Why bother putting us through the last two shows if their favourites were chosen for the final weeks ago

Yes those finalists made it to the semis with the help of the coaches, but we had an open vote at the semi, we could have voted more for any of their team mates, sorry opponents, at that stage.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Javing watched Sophie May's performance again, and then watched the original version of the song, I think the song choice was poor (having not heard the song before). I don't like the song much, and it came across as if she was singing it as Will would sing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »

Pitchy is when a singer misses a note within a certain tolerance, if you think of each musical note as a set of specific frequencies which you must use to create that note. If you imagine those frequencies as a spectrum you are trying to match - go too far off in either direction and the note sounds wrong. (I did a quick google search to remind myself, I'm a Physics undergraduate so I know what I'm talking about).

Pitch is usually associated with what key the song is in, but if a singer misses a few notes it tends to said that they are pitchy. If you listen to Anna's performances carefully she always misses a few notes stopping her performance from being better than it could be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭