"Z Nation" - Syfy Orders New Zombie Series

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"Z Nation will take viewers where no zombie has gone before,” says Schaefer. The show, he continues, adds “a sense of hope to the horror of the apocalypse – our everyday heroes take the fight to the zombies. It’ll be an epic journey unlike anything you've seen before.” - Syfy

Syfy announced that the show will have a 13 episode season starting this Fall. It's being produced by The Asylum (ohhh crap!). This has disaster written all over it. The Asylum couldn't produce a decent sandwich - nevermind a TV show! Just go to IMDB and look at what they made over the years: LINK

The lone good news is that the producer of EUREKA is involved and will executive produce this series as well as be its showrunner. I'm not gonna lie. I'm curious to see how this one turns out. Might be good for a laugh. :D

LINK

Comments

• OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World war Z and now this?

The Walking Dead is stomping everyone in the zombie horror genre at the moment. Is it really wise to compete against the TWD?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Siffys new shows this year are a remake of the Walking Dead and a remake of Atlantis by the looks of it.

Expecting them to announce a fantasy series called War for the Crown any day now :D
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "take them on an adventure with a diverse group of richly-drawn characters"

So basically a reluctant hero on a quest to save the world travels a dark land ravaged by orcs - sorry I mean zombies, accompanied by an elf, a dwarf and a wizard.

Hopefully they'll cast Summer Glau from the start
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds a bit lame but i will give it a go
    They have much better sounding shows due for next year though

Apart from the walking dead, other apocalypse shows have sucked.

The fact that the guy from eureka is doing it worries me. He can't construct a well thought out compelling story arc well at all imo.

Don't cast Summer Glau. She's a good actress but is the bad luck charm when it comes to her track record of science fiction shows. Every show she appears on gets canned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't cast Summer Glau. She's a good actress but is the bad luck charm when it comes to her track record of science fiction shows. Every show she appears on gets canned.
    Indeed, that's why I was suggesting casting her from the start - save me wasting time watching it only for it to be cancelled :D
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Arrow and The Big Bang Theory (just a guest appearance, but she still appeared) are doing just fine at the moment. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrow and The Big Bang Theory (just a guest appearance, but she still appeared) are doing just fine at the moment. :)

Maybe she actually needs significant air time to tank a show? Someone must have worked out how much :D
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Boy I sure hope there's a lot of standing around and bickering between the survivors.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the trailer for the show is out. I have no idea what to make of it. Looks like it's more action-oriented.

LINK
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The idea of a group of individuals travelling across America in the hope of finding a cure for a zombie plague seems awfully similar to the plotline for the 3 newbies who appeared in Season 4 of The Walking Dead.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    If it's even half as good as TWD it'll be worth watching.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might give it a look, but it's The Asylum so you know the FX are going to be laughable at best.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Well the trailer for the show is out. I have no idea what to make of it. Looks like it's more action-oriented.
    Hard to tell but there's always a chance it might work, the premise for the story is good enough, as long as thery avoid having too much of a cliche'd team. Unless it works really well. There has to be comedy in there, all the serious stuff has been done.
    I might give it a look, but it's The Asylum so you know the FX are going to be laughable at best.
    You never know, that might be what makes it worth watching :p
    Presumably the opening scenes would be on a beach with shirtless hunks and girls in bikinis as I understand (from limited viewings of their work) this is something of a 'signature' or theirs.

I also have a suspicion this won't reach freeview for several years :(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably the opening scenes would be on a beach with shirtless hunks and girls in bikinis as I understand (from limited viewings of their work) this is something of a 'signature' or theirs.

I also have a suspicion this won't reach freeview for several years :(

I can certainly see plenty of shirtless hunks and bikini-clad lovelies in each episode :D

There's an FX shot 12 seconds in to the trailer that looks very much like The Asylum's trademark of either using a plastic dummy or simply CGI'ing in the blood and gore effects in post production.

It really does make it look very cheap.

But then, to be fair, some of the more recent Asylum films have actually looked halfway presentable in the trailers - "Age of Tomorrow" being one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7jWEJR_s0
  • jazzyminajazzymina Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look great imo but I love zombie shows so will give it a try =D
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ep1 us pace - don't know if this will be the us-pace thread so I'll spoilerhide the rest for now.
    quite impressed, not great but will follow
    I think they were right sneaky with the "heard about this place from an ex-cop who'd taken up home with some people in an old prision" thing. It's like this isn't "another" zombie show, it's a "sister" show to the Walking Dead - or at least that's what you could think of it.
    Few minor quibbles about their wanton use of bullets, and no stabbing 'dead' zombies in the head before searching them just to be certain, but all in all this gets a thumbs up. I was going to say a :yay: to the X-OZ inmate being the leader but I guess that wasn't to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I'm excited for this. I actually want it to be different in tone to The Walking Dead (which I am a fan of also).
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another apocalypse type show. Seems to be an awful trend among Sci-fi at the moment and most of them all suck. But i must be in a minority as they are doing well and being renewed.

I'll give it a go.

Syfy have a much better range of shows due for next year.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    btw: at the end of ep1 they did one of those "coming this season on..." clips so have the remote handy to switch channels if you don't want the coming season spoiled. I failed to do that for one show and the knowing what was to come, all the gear shiifts and major happenings, well it caused me to not watch any more eps, cos "what's the point". Anyway, you've been forewarned. :)
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Umm, yes I don't really want to slag it off to much, because I'll carry on watching it, but blimey the cgaracterisation and SFX was pretty poor, and the end bit just cringeworthy. Zombie baby was cool though.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    "Z Nation will take viewers where no zombie has gone before,”
    so: same old same old, then! :cry:
  • My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw ep 1 online today it was as dire as you'd expect from Asylum, some plot points are straight lifts from TWD the production values are def low budget, what was SyFy thinking? Awful, just awful. Never mind just over a month till TWD is back
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was... OK, I guess.

I can't remember a single character's name, though.
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ep1 us pace - don't know if this will be the us-pace thread so I'll spoilerhide the rest for now.
    I think they were right sneaky with the "heard about this place from an ex-cop who'd taken up home with some people in an old prision" thing. It's like this isn't "another" zombie show, it's a "sister" show to the Walking Dead - or at least that's what you could think of it..

LOL, yeah, I caught that!

Just a knowing wink, or trying to make people think they are actually connected?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saw ep 1 online today it was as dire as you'd expect from Asylum, some plot points are straight lifts from TWD the production values are def low budget, what was SyFy thinking? Awful, just awful. Never mind just over a month till TWD is back

As soon as I saw it was from 'The Asylum' I knew it would be low quality.
  • 111roy111111roy111 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I must say it was low budget, you could tell, and the plot was loosely rip from TWD, i'll give it acouple of more viewing, see if it gets better.
    Roll on TWD.