Disabled People In UK

2»

Comments

• jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Thank you. There's most likely a lot of truth in that.

I also struggle with the term 'disabled people'; it kind of implies 'they' are a homogenous, somewhat defective group. People with disabilities sounds more apt, in my view.

Only in the last 15/20 years mind, before that people with disabilities, weren't meant to be seen
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife was in a wheelchair, America was the best place to visit, Europe is improving but in the far east people in the street just stared, and there are no facilities for them.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw someone on one of those mobility scooters the other day, they were driving in the road, with a long line of regular traffic backing up behind them, cause those things don't go more than 10mph

That ain't gunna be good for road rage !!
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True and most disabled folks including me, would be totally afraid of spilting hairs with those who give u a job and then like shit, cause ud be scared of loosing your job, benefits etc

Then start your own business. That's what I did. Now I'm the boss.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Thank you. There's most likely a lot of truth in that.

I also struggle with the term 'disabled people'; it kind of implies 'they' are a homogenous, somewhat defective group. People with disabilities sounds more apt, in my view.

'The Disabled', implies a collective noun, but Disabled People is the term I prefer. Largely because most are dis-abled by society's social and material structures.

There seems to be different rules for disabled people, e.g. one wouldn't describe white people as People with Whiteness etc.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    'The Disabled', implies a collective noun, but Disabled People is the term I prefer. Largely because most are dis-abled by society's social and material structures.

There seems to be different rules for disabled people, e.g. one wouldn't describe white people as People with Whiteness etc.

I agree. It is similar to the way people call gay people 'gays'. Being gay and disabled I find both derogatory.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    I agree. It is similar to the way people call gay people 'gays'. Being gay and disabled I find both derogatory.

I was actually gonna post 'people with gayness' but it was too absurd even too illustrate an absurd point :D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »
    I agree. It is similar to the way people call gay people 'gays'. ......................

I agree, the word "gay" is an adjective, not a noun.

But then it struck me that putting "the" in front does something strange. For some reason the construction 'the (adjective)' is perfectly acceptable. The rich, the poor, the sick, the dead, the lonely, the unemployed, the attached, the detached, the list goes on and on.