Chromecast - will you get it?

Comments

• Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Why should anyone make the effort to convince you? :confused:

hahahahahaa seriously....I presume you want the reply to be "because i am so self important!" - if that is the answer you want please go and enjoy the emotional stroke your getting from my response... enjoy. trolling trolling trolling.

But back on topic...
    Well i have asked on DS about the difference between a chromecast and an android tv stick and no one answered the question. so I was wondering if anyone can convince me to get a chromecast as i am wondering whats the difference between the two.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    Well i have asked on DS about the difference between a chromecast and an android tv stick and no one answered the question. so I was wondering if anyone can convince me to get a chromecast as i am wondering whats the difference between the two.
    Chromecast allows wireless streaming from a (usually Android) tablet etc. to a TV.

Android TV is a small Android powered device that plus directly into the TV.
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »

The big drawback IMO with the Android TV Sticks - and any of the boxes now becoming popular - compared to Chromecast is navigating through the menus.

With Chromecast you use your phone or tablet apps without the need for some clunky interface. The fact is Android as a touch-screen OS does not lend itself easily to a remote control.
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got mine a few days ago and its easy to set up and use with a very hi res picture on the TV . BUT its very limited in what it does , is there any information on when further updates will be available such as 4od or Itv player ?
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the info.

I think I'll have to play with a chromecast and see what it is like before buying one
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    I got mine a few days ago and its easy to set up and use with a very hi res picture on the TV . BUT its very limited in what it does , is there any information on when further updates will be available such as 4od or Itv player ?

Whenever Channel 4 or ITV add the function to their apps. Its not difficult to do, just requires the political will on their part. Likely they'll be seeing how well they sell first.

there were rumours that the BT sport app has the code already to support it (but isn't turned on it) and there were ongoing talks with Channel 5, but little chatter about C4 or ITV.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    After a couple of days this thing really is shite.

Honestly there's better options out there like roku.

The only thing I have found handy is watching Google play movies on your TV.
    The 60hz issue really bugs me. IPlayer playback is not as smooth as playback in my TVs smart interface because its 60hz default where as uk stuff is 50. Basically if your going to feed this thing anything other than 30fps or 60hz stuff then you will get frame correction judder. If other apps like 4od or BT sport for come along they will have the same problem unless Google implement refresh rate switching.

There is no easy way to send pictures or videoa from your phone or laptop to the TV either. Wtf? - you can't been photos from your android device gallery to another android device intended for TV?????
    Google play music works however, aswel as YouTube etc, but that's about it.

Really limited and classic Google.... Lies and bull.

Playing video from your chrome browser to TV is also dodgy. Your laptop needs to be very high spec and stuff like BT sport is a no go, mine just jumps and stutters with no full screen suport. Handy uf you want to didplay a web tab on you screen, but who the f does that anyway?? Your connection needs to be fast and trouble free too.

Perhaps it will get better, but its another example of what pisses me of with Google....

A half baked products. If you were wanting to be serious, why not bake into android full Chromecast capability like Airplay etc???? Instead its a half arse attempt.???

Don't be tricked by the pics of the little dongle in a TV either. In reality itneeds a USB wire connected for power (or power cable and plug) and possibly the HDMI extension. Not as nice as a little box sitting under the TV, .. Instead a load of wires.

You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »

Dear Oh dear. Don't Apple slaves ever get tired of slagging off Google?

I don't have a TV licence so I only watch catch up. The Samsung Blu-ray player I've been using is getting worse and worse. ITV player hasn't worked in months, 4OD often freezes and it's started to not play a few types of files from its USB port.

So I ordered a Chromecast and it arrived this morning.

Set up was dead simple.

I installed a Plex server on my Laptop and Plex on my phone and tablet. I can now select and watch any film or TV program with my phone or Tablet and watch it on my TV.

I installed the Cast extension for my Laptop's Chrome browser and I can watch ITV, 4OD etc etc on my TV.

I don't know about quality. As long as it looks okay and doesn't freeze that good enough for me.

For less than £30 it's an absolute bargain and when there are more apps on it it'll be even more of a bargain.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I shudder to think what you were actually expecting to get for £30 quid ..
    In reality itneeds a USB wire connected for power (or power cable and plug)

There was me thinking I powered mine by osmosis ..
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got one yesterday to use with a bedroom TV and it works a treat with my Nexus 7 and my SGS4. A breeze to set up and after a software update it was streaming YouTube and BBC iPlayer with ease. Fro £30 it's a steal and there will be many more apps when it becomes more popular I am sure.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    It's amazing to see a new entrant so competitively priced. If my LCD had a USB port I would buy one!
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing to see a new entrant so competitively priced. If my LCD had a USB port I would buy one!

You need a HDMI port not a usb port.
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a HDMI port not a usb port.

You need a USB port to power it as well as the HDMI port on the TV. The USB port can come from anywhere but having one on the TV means you don't need to use a phone or tablet charger, taking up another power socket.

I considered one of these but already have a NOW TV box and Apple TV so no real point.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    You need a USB port to power it as well as the HDMI port on the TV. The USB port can come from anywhere but having one on the TV means you don't need to use a phone or tablet charger, taking up another power socket.

I considered one of these but already have a NOW TV box and Apple TV so no real point.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/extension-leads/extension_leads___adaptors/-specificproducttype-surge/Masterplug-Surge-Adaptor-With-USB-White-12628656?skuId=13149362
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »

It comes with its own AC adapter for if you don't have a USB port handy.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the picture quality like? Saw a demo in Curry's and it was very soft despite being a Pixar cartoon but then again it was Curry's.
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the picture quality like? Saw a demo in Curry's and it was very soft despite being a Pixar cartoon but then again it was Curry's.

Streaming from the net, if the content is HD its very nice. I do not include the iPlayer here I think that is just a little short of what it could be,but its still more than OK.

Have seen other HD content on other apps though and as I say its very nice.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Picked one up yesterday in PC World. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet but it looks like a really great product. I hope iI can get it to work.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that YouTube has a fairly fatal flaw with the Chromecast, in that if a video requires verification (for age) then it refuses to play on the TV - just stating that its unavailable to play on the TV. This to me makes it fairly useless and I can see it going on ebay soon.

Also I agree with the other poster who said the chrome tab sharing is flakey unless you've got a seriously powerful laptop - mine isn't and I'm lucky to get about 10 frames per second.

Has anyone tried AllCast or Plex? Does it work well? That could be the one thing that could save it for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an app for iOS devices called "Good Player" that has just added chromecast support. It plays pretty much any video format and also finds uPnP devices as well - it found my NAS drive quite easily.

The only problem is, you have to download the content to your handset (or device) to play before you can cast it.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member

Word of warning.

Chromecast outputs at 60hz refresh by standard. There is no refresh rate switch.

Trouble is UK/EU video content is 50hz. This creates correction judder / stutter on moving images across any video using that standard.

Now Chromecast is in 50hz territories there's quite a few comments and issues posted on-line.

BTSport and iPlayer for example has this judder on panning etc. None of the video sources play back as smooth as on other devices that can playback at 50 / 25/ 24 fps.

Web videos like YouTube is 30fps or 60hz so is fine.

Anyone who cant see this is either unobservant, or has some form of heavy Frame Correction applied on the TV.
    LCD/LED TV's also mask the issue due to the way they smear / refresh.

The XBOX One has recently had this issue. It too outputted at 60hz, however UK TV / Video being 50hz resulted in users getting judder and stutter. MS Managed to fix the issue with a update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word of warning....

In it's defence, for such a mass market item, the majority of people using one won't be purists looking for refresh rate, frames per second, motion blur e.t.c...

It'll be ease of use more than anything ..
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that YouTube has a fairly fatal flaw with the Chromecast, in that if a video requires verification (for age) then it refuses to play on the TV - just stating that its unavailable to play on the TV. This to me makes it fairly useless and I can see it going on ebay soon.

Doesn't it just use the settings on your google account?

Got an example youtube vid I can try?
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Doesn't it just use the settings on your google account?

Got an example youtube vid I can try?

Try playing We Found Love by Rihanna. Or any video that would require age verification. Believe me it doesn't use your google account - the Chromecast sees you an an anonymous user. It's a massive fail.