Options

Need the best Rat Repeller that money can buy

TottzTottz Posts: 74
Forum Member
My housemates have discovered a rat in the kitchen which seems to be attacking our food. I absolutely hate these vile disgusting creatures and for them to be in our kitchen is a massive concern for me as it's a potential health risk.

I decided to buy a Vermatik[/URuse/rat plug from Maplin a couple days ago, but the device hasn't solved the problem as a rat was spotted in the kitchen last night.

I've just called my landlord to notify them of the issue, but I'd also like to help aid the prevention/and or removal of these pests.

Can anyone suggest an effective rat repeller or any other courses of action

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Have a look on-line to see if your council will send out pest control. Where I am pest control is free for rats, but not mice, so worth having a look to see if they will send a professional round.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Tottz wrote: »
    My housemates have discovered a rat in the kitchen which seems to be attacking our food. I absolutely hate these vile disgusting creatures and for them to be in our kitchen is a massive concern for me as it's a potential health risk.

I decided to buy a Vermatik[/URuse/rat plug from Maplin a couple days ago, but the device hasn't solved the problem as a rat was spotted in the kitchen last night.

I've just called my landlord to notify them of the issue, but I'd also like to help aid the prevention/and or removal of these pests.

Can anyone suggest an effective rat repeller or any other courses of action

Your local council ‘Environmental Health Office/Officer’ will be able to advise.

Pest control is part of their remit I believe; (It is in my council borough anyway).

Maybe your landlord has already called them ??
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    UB40 used to have the same problem and they didn't know what to do either.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »

I was expecting that, but it still made me chuckle :)

Anyway, for the record, my council stopped doing pest control and I had to sort out my own mouse problem myself. I got some some of these sonic repellers ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Cheese-Sonic-Repeller-STV728/dp/B003BQ7O9K

There's two sides to these though - many say they just don't work but i've read almost as many reviews that say they do. I was told that if the rodent has already gotten in, then these aren't as effective, which in a sense was true as i had 5 plugged in and working and still had mice.

When i managed to trap and get rid of the last one though, i haven't had any since and i've had these repellers going ever since, although one crapped out so i've only got 4 going now.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best way is to stop them getting in. I had some wee mousies visit (and leave their calling-card) so had to completely empty the kitchen until I found their door (behind the electric meter) so stuffed that with rags until the job got done properly with new plastering.

Did catch two using an old-fashioned trap, but that didn't stop the problem, just showed it existed. So rat-killers/poision won't be a cure if they can still get in.

So, I'm afraid, it's hands-on-knees and a darned good tidy-up until you find their point-of-entry. Ah, did someone mention it was a bank holiday weekend?

NB cats can be of assistance, even if they don't catch any. Just the smell of a puss maybe enough to keep the rodents away - they are supposed to be clever, right??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing a house cat is out of the question....
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cats or borrow a Jack Russell.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »

Funnily enough, I was thinking that too...
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Cats or borrow a Jack Russell.

And I was thinking of this.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »

There's a rat in mi kitchen what am I gonna do?
    There's a rat in mi kitchen what am I gonna go?
    I'm gonna fix that rat thats what I'm gonna do,
    I'm gonna fix that rat.

When you open your mouth you don't talk, you shout
    And you give every body the blame,
    But when they catch you up,
    They will shut you up
    And you got no one to blame

When you out on the street,
    You practice lies and deceipt
    And you scandalize my name
    But when I catch you up
    I'm gonna pull you up
    I'm gonna check-out inside your brain

When yo deh pon the scene,
    You make everyone scream
    Because they know your so unjust
    But when they catch you up
    They will kick you up
    Because you someone they cannot trust

You invade my space
    Make me feel disgraced
    And you just don't give a damn
    If I had my way
    If I had my say
    I'd like to see you hang

Hmmm, that's a little drastic and they still don't say how they are going to catch it in order to pop it's head into a rodent sized noose.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of the 'repellers' have been proven to work. People may say they've not seen a mouse since getting one but that's only proof that they've not seen a mouse. There may have been mice they have not seen or maybe there have been no mice for other reasons - a better food supply elsewhere.

Google Eradibait for a poison that is rodent-specific and doesn't damage the animals (birds of prey, cats, dogs, etc) that may eat a slower than usual (because it has been poisoned) but still live rodent.

Google Ratzapper for a rodent killer (it does smaller rodents despite its name) for a box that electrocutes any rodent that goes in for the bait.

We use both in outbuildings and they are effective.
    orangebird wrote: »
    In a previous house, we never had a mouse problem until we got a cat.

We even caught her at the catflap trying to drag in a live rat on one occasion. We dissuaded her. Then there was the full-grown magpie I found sitting on the window sill in the bedroom staring mournfully out at freedom...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, stuffing any potential entry points with tin foil or bits of those wire scourers as they can't chew through that apparently.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, stuffing any potential entry points with tin foil or bits of those wire scourers as they can't chew through that apparently.
    They chew through wires happily enough.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    They chew through wires happily enough.

Wire wool is different, it's good for blocking holes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Wire wool is different, it's good for blocking holes.

That's what I was on about :)

I've still got some in a few places, just as a precaution more than anything - my flat is pretty ancient so there are more than a few places that nasties could get through.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go for traditional traps. Tried and tested.

Also (and sorry if this is bleeding obvious) - hide the food! If everything is in rodent-proof cupboards/containers/fridges, and crumbs etc are cleaned up, they're less likely to come visiting.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the bin out of the kitchen and do not put a bin in the kitchen.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I'd go for traditional traps. Tried and tested.

Also (and sorry if this is bleeding obvious) - hide the food! If everything is in rodent-proof cupboards/containers/fridges, and crumbs etc are cleaned up, they're less likely to come visiting.

And use some peanut butter as rats really like it.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP if you have had a rat inside your house then your neighbourhood has got a major problem. We had the LA pest control man in (it cost a small amount) and he solved the garden rat problem round here - he knew the source and took drastic action. See your local councillor and complain that they don't have a pest control policy.

The local authority will use methods which are not available to private individuals. You are a victim of action against the public sector. Perhaps Cameron thinks you should pray the rats away.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP if you have had a rat inside your house then your neighbourhood has got a major problem. We had the LA pest control man in (it cost a small amount) and he solved the garden rat problem round here - he knew the source and took drastic action. See your local councillor and complain that they don't have a pest control policy.

The local authority will use methods which are not available to private individuals. You are a victim of action against the public sector. Perhaps Cameron thinks you should pray the rats away.

Mine and parents council do have a policy. Their policy is that you deal with it yourself.

Basically use over the counter treatment, call pest control company, etc

I wouldn't bother with repellents, either get some poison or use rat traps.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a Jack Russell would be of any use at all inside a house. They need far more room to be effective and they'd probably cause a hell of a lot of damage.

A cat is far more quick, efficient and deadly.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It cost me £25 quid to get the council to see off my rats. I think the halfwit neighbours putting food out for birds and squirrels is probably what attracted them.
    The score so far is Humans: 2, Rats: 0.