Options

Sam Smith.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
Forum Member
✭✭
How the hell did he win Sound Of 2014? His voice is one of the most monotonous i've heard, and that Money On My Mind song is mindnumbingly boring.

Comments

• Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    He has an incredible voice, in my opinion. Certainly one of my favourite male vocalists around at the moment.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean about having a monotonous voice, I agree. I do love him, and his songs. Can't wait for his album.

Although, he seems to be hyped up to the extent Emeli Sande was, and I can't see his album doing as well as people expect it to!
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first heard him I thought he had an amazing voice (on the tracks he was featured on). I thought though that maybe his own stuff wouldn't be that good. However, I eventually gave him and downloaded all the tracks from his EP and everything else he's released and I am shocked. Every track is really good. I like Money On My Mind, but I'd probably say that is my least favourite. I absolutely love Nirvana!! Oh, and the acoustic version of Lay Me Down. I can't wait for the album and I hope he does well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first heard him I thought he had an amazing voice (on the tracks he was featured on). I thought though that maybe his own stuff wouldn't be that good. However, I eventually gave him and downloaded all the tracks from his EP and everything else he's released and I am shocked. Every track is really good. I like Money On My Mind, but I'd probably say that is my least favourite. I absolutely love Nirvana!! Oh, and the acoustic version of Lay Me Down. I can't wait for the album and I hope he does well.

I think I have over-played him. The hype was real for me in December, January and even February. I feel as though it's been dragged on SO much.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of him.
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he gay??
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    Is he gay??

Yes he is.

I wouldn't say his voice is monotonous, I'd say he has an incredible, beautiful voice and is fully deserving of all the hype and success he's getting. But each to their own. His album is gonna go straight to number 1 and I can see it selling over 100k in its debut week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gay?

He is dating Daisy Lowe isn't he?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand La La La, I like some of naughty boys stuff but that song was one of the worst songs last year for me. Sam smith was good on latch though but he really cannot sing live, remember when latch was being played everywhere, I tuned into radio 1 and he was singing live and he sounded awful.

I quite like SHY Fx's remix of SAMs stay with me, which I came across a couple of days ago, it's got a good summer vibe to it, but that's down to shy fx more than Sam. I'm in agreement that he's not actually that good a singer to be honest and definitely overrated.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I loved his feature on Latch, and La La La was OK (not a fan of Naughty Boy, all his songs sound the same IMO), but Money on my Mind is one of the worst songs of the year so far. I'm still looking forward to see what he comes up with next, but MOMM was not a good start. That hook = abysmal.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

This.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is okay not entirely worthy of the hype. MOMM is a decent song a bit repetitive. I see him doing better than Tom Odell not as well as any of the ladies.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I loved his feature on Latch, and La La La was OK (not a fan of Naughty Boy, all his songs sound the same IMO), but Money on my Mind is one of the worst songs of the year so far. I'm still looking forward to see what he comes up with next, but MOMM was not a good start. That hook = abysmal.
    Agreed - I too liked Latch & his vocals on La La La even though the song itself did nothing for me. And yeah, don't like Money on my Mind at all! He's deffo got a good soulful voice but I've been disappointed with his output so far after the initial promise...
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The singles he has released have not done his voice any justice at all. His voice is ridiculously beautiful. I predict big things for this guy. I agree with comment above though, I discovered him in July and its just run out of steam a little bit for me now. Get the album out already
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    Is he gay??

Think you got him mixed up with the tennis player of the same name. ;-) It is confusing though as he wants to be known as a male diva in interviews which is brave for a straight man but this article seems to suggest he's straight.

http://www.star-magazine.co.uk/breakingnews/view/57170/Sam-Smith-declares-his-love-for-Daisy-Lowe-/
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Smith is not straight and I honestly hope the industry doesnt try to hide it because it'll make him more 'sellable'

Edit. Just seen the Star link. Thats absolutely disgusting. Sam Smith is (or at least was) very openly gay. His earlier songs used to reference to 'him' rather then her and he has confirmed it on twitter a couple of times. When he did the Bruno Mars cover, he changed a line to avoid referencing to 'her' and he confirmed on twitter that it was because he is in fact gay.

Do they think fans are stupid? Weird how as soon as he has minor American success this whole thing comes about....
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's definitely gay, though there's not been any official confirmation as far as I know but if anyone has any sling it my way!

His voice is *incredible*, I saw him live last September and was blown away.

My only complaint is the tracks from his upcoming album have been relatively disappointing compared to his Nirvana EP released last year. Nirvana is a great track but Safe With Me was outstanding. (Not to be confused with Stay With Me.)

He should do more experimental stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cndg2N8JafY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe he's bisexual then - people can and do change sexuality. It can be a fluid thing - I can't be bothered to go through his Twitter but if he says he's in love with her then so be it.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Sam Smith is not straight and I honestly hope the industry doesnt try to hide it because it'll make him more 'sellable'

Edit. Just seen the Star link. Thats absolutely disgusting. Sam Smith is (or at least was) very openly gay. His earlier songs used to reference to 'him' rather then her and he has confirmed it on twitter a couple of times. When he did the Bruno Mars cover, he changed a line to avoid referencing to 'her' and he confirmed on twitter that it was because he is in fact gay.

Do they think fans are stupid? Weird how as soon as he has minor American success this whole thing comes about....

To be it seemed obvious, I don't know...I could just tell haha.

Either way I hope his album delivers, he has serious potential.