Wooden Floors

Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
Forum Member
Looking for advice on wooden flooring, need it to withstand high heels.

Been Googling and can't find an answer, but they have wooden floors in shops so such a product must exist.

Comments

• dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Go for good quality laminate.

Real wood flooring might be too soft for high heals. That might be just my floors though, big mistake by me.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Been Googling and can't find an answer, but they have wooden floors in shops so such a product must exist.

Laminate is the best thing, its hard and cheap to replace when it gets damaged.

I have lovely oak parquet floors - covered in stiletto marks!
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Laminate is the best thing, its hard and cheap to replace when it gets damaged.

I have lovely oak parquet floors - covered in stiletto marks!

Expensive mistake like me? My expensive wood floor is covered by tiny dents were my inconsiderate children drop toys (sometimes on purpose>:() My cheaper but looks even better laminate still looks lke new - and I wouldn't be too stressed if I had to lift it in an emergency :)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you lay laminate, please make sure you lay proper sound insulation / underlay - especially if you live in a flat. There's nothing worse than people above you fitting laminate flooring - all you ever hear is clump clump clump clump, and is completely anti-social.

Of course, you could always leave high heels at the front door and wear slippers indoors. I know many people who do allow anyone to wear street shoes of any description in the house because of the traces of whatever that they drag in.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not found a wooden floor that does not have indentation marks from high heeled shoes left on it.
    I think it adds a bit of character to be honest.
    Laminate marks up as well as proper wood floors I have found.
    Darker wood seems to absorb the look better though In my opinion.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darker wood seems to absorb the look better though In my opinion.

Agreed, unless you have a pine floor that has been stained a darker colour, - then the dents will appear as pale flecks throughout the floor. Trust me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Laminate is awful. We have solid oak floors and part of the charm is the worn look. It's easy enough to sand them down and revarnish and will last for years.
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I had top of the range laminate laid 2 years ago. I swear it would survive a nuclear attack. - it doesn't dent or scratch and is guaranteed for 30 years. It easily survives spills, including paint (I'm a messy artist), which just flicks off without a trace. It was expensive, but worth it, as cheap laminate will mark.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Laminate is awful. We have solid oak floors and part of the charm is the worn look. It's easy enough to sand them down and revarnish and will last for years.

Not all laminate is awful, it's only the really low-end stuff that looks cheap and nasty. You can't beat proper wood floors, of course...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had top of the range laminate laid 2 years ago. I swear it would survive a nuclear attack. - it doesn't dent or scratch and is guaranteed for 30 years. It easily survives spills, including paint (I'm a messy artist), which just flicks off without a trace. It was expensive, but worth it, as cheap laminate will mark.

We have top end laminate and I agree with the above.

My Mother has uber expensive real wood and every scratch/mark shows up. Her dog was sick on it and it looks like someone has thrown bleach on it. :o

But leave the high heels at the door and problem solved whatever you go for.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read in several mags and sites that wooden floors and laminates have gone out of fashion. I very nearly gave into the craze about 10 years ago but am so glad I didn't. Various friends did and they've nearly all gone back to carpets because of reasons like warmth, soundproofing, slipping, having to buy rugs etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I have read in several mags and sites that wooden floors and laminates have gone out of fashion. I very nearly gave into the craze about 10 years ago but am so glad I didn't. Various friends did and they've nearly all gone back to carpets because of reasons like warmth, soundproofing, slipping, having to buy rugs etc.

I would give anything for cream carpets in my living room but we got a dog instead so it's a no no for years yet. I love our floor but was happier with carpet.....but when I see the muck I wipe up every day I know a dog and carpets don't mix. We have underfloor heating so the warmth is not a problem. There is something about carpet though.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Expensive mistake like me? My expensive wood floor is covered by tiny dents were my inconsiderate children drop toys (sometimes on purpose>:() My cheaper but looks even better laminate still looks lke new - and I wouldn't be too stressed if I had to lift it in an emergency :)

We've had to put lino down over our wood floor because our son was destroying the wood floor :eek:
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member

The wood isnt the answer, its the lacquer you need to focus on.

I'm intrigued to know just what kind of reason you are needing to be wearing high heels all day on a wood floor?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I read an ad the other day where an 'elderly Gentleman' was advertising for a lady to walk over him whilst he was lay down but she had to wear high heels. For this he would pay £45 an hour. :o:D

The ad never said if he had wooden flooring ;-)
  • Rene-CRene-C Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Laminate flooring isn't allowed in the flats where I live and quite rightly so. Does anyone actually walk around in their own home in high heels?