Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bingham's pot success rate was only 83% by the end of the session. Very poor by his standards that.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bravo to Ken. Caught up nicely. 5-4.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wanted to watch Maguire - Day, but Murphy - Cope it is then.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uncle Albert! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis has started talking about golf already. :cry:
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good start by Ronnie this morning, looks like an early night tonight!, and Ken did well to be only one frame behind at the end. 1-1 in both afternoon matches so far think these will be closer then Ronnie's !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all the little animations they've got for the players on the graphics screens now.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    Seriously Hendry coming back on main tour on the back of a wild card at 47 or 48 is not suddenly going to completely dominate again. Steve Davis is not going to win any tournaments at his age on the award of a main tour wildcard.

Remember Hendry retired because he said he was no longer capable of winning tournaments and dominating. Can't see Hendry being in top 16 again let alone being the man to beat. What is the point if him returning to main tour if he can't get anywhere near achieving what he said he was only on the tour to achieve.
    Maybe he's realised, like Davis, that he actually loves the game and just wants to play.
    He probably wouldn't get much joy out of hammering club opponents so the tour is the best place to be.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan Day playing really nicely to lead Maguire 5-2 now.
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from Sheffield after an entertaining morning session.

It was a bit on the cold side this morning, but that didn't stop plenty of people heading to Sheffield. On the same train as me was one of the blokes who is always in the front row (usually on table two) - he must live in Manchester or locally then, I think.

At Sheffield itself the atmosphere was building nicely. I did see Tony Drago and he stopped when Shaun Murphy was coming in for practice and had a little chat. Robin Hull was quite surprised when people recognised him but was more than happy to say hello and he was excited to be back at the Crucible, so really wanted him to do well.

Inside, Hazel Irvine was rehearsing and what you don't see from the live broadcast is the number of lighting rigs and extra cameras there are when BBC take to the table. In fact Rob Walker was having difficulty getting down to the stage to warm the crowd up before the live broadcast, but he managed it. He also mentioned that Ken Doherty might just kiss the Crucible carpet when he comes out, and sure enough Ken did that.

I was on the Stuart Bingham - Ken Doherty table. It was a fascinating match and Bingham was making some howlers (the jump over the black being the most obvious one - no wonder BBC has a replay of that on the web already). A fair few of the frames were tight affairs too with Ken surviving fightbacks from Stuart in a couple of them. They finished their last frame just before 2pm, so I missed spoting any players for the afternoon session.

On the other table and from my seat in Row F, I could see a bit of the action. I was really pleased for Robin to get the 102 break in frame four, but the fifth frame which Ronnie nicked when requiring a snooker will be the one that really did hurt - at 3-2 might have been a different contest but it also, like some of you mentioned, showed that Ronnie meant business.

Went over to the Winter Gardens and there's more displays meaning it's more difficult to get a good view of the action unless you're in the roped off area close to the snooker table where the WPBSA folks are doing demonstrations etc. That said I did notice that Hazel had a comfortable pair of boots on which she changed into when not needing her heels for the cameras. Steve Davis was having good banter with the production crew and one of the crowd said "it's like being back in the jungle!" (the Winter Gardens has various plants everywhere and so can be quite alike in parts) which was a giggle.

Back on Monday for Mark Selby v Michael White, should be a good one that. Pics to follow :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Just got back from Sheffield after an entertaining morning session.

It was a bit on the cold side this morning, but that didn't stop plenty of people heading to Sheffield. On the same train as me was one of the blokes who is always in the front row (usually on table two) - he must live in Manchester or locally then, I think.

At Sheffield itself the atmosphere was building nicely. I did see Tony Drago and he stopped when Shaun Murphy was coming in for practice and had a little chat. Robin Hull was quite surprised when people recognised him but was more than happy to say hello and he was excited to be back at the Crucible, so really wanted him to do well.

Inside, Hazel Irvine was rehearsing and what you don't see from the live broadcast is the number of lighting rigs and extra cameras there are when BBC take to the table. In fact Rob Walker was having difficulty getting down to the stage to warm the crowd up before the live broadcast, but he managed it. He also mentioned that Ken Doherty might just kiss the Crucible carpet when he comes out, and sure enough Ken did that.

I was on the Stuart Bingham - Ken Doherty table. It was a fascinating match and Bingham was making some howlers (the jump over the black being the most obvious one - no wonder BBC has a replay of that on the web already). A fair few of the frames were tight affairs too with Ken surviving fightbacks from Stuart in a couple of them. They finished their last frame just before 2pm, so I missed spoting any players for the afternoon session.

On the other table and from my seat in Row F, I could see a bit of the action. I was really pleased for Robin to get the 102 break in frame four, but the fifth frame which Ronnie nicked when requiring a snooker will be the one that really did hurt - at 3-2 might have been a different contest but it also, like some of you mentioned, showed that Ronnie meant business.

Went over to the Winter Gardens and there's more displays meaning it's more difficult to get a good view of the action unless you're in the roped off area close to the snooker table where the WPBSA folks are doing demonstrations etc. That said I did notice that Hazel had a comfortable pair of boots on which she changed into when not needing her heels for the cameras. Steve Davis was having good banter with the production crew and one of the crowd said "it's like being back in the jungle!" (the Winter Gardens has various plants everywhere and so can be quite alike in parts) which was a giggle.

Back on Monday for Mark Selby v Michael White, should be a good one that. Pics to follow :)

Thanks for the report, always enjoy them, look forward to the pics
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As promised, here's this year's set of pics, which is starting with day one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/sets/72157644096080706/

I'll add more to this set as the tournament goes on :)
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important last frame for Maguire to win to trail 3-6 overnight. Day certainly making a nonsense of their head to head record, something like 13-1 in the Scots favour I believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently watching Murphy - Cope. Very tight game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Hazel have to memorize her script or does she have an autocue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks good pics, always good to see what goes on off camera !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great turn around in the Murphy-Cope game - 4-2 to Murphy looked very ominous, would never have predicted the session endiing 4-5 to Cope !

Maguire is in deep trouble at 6-3 down even after taking that last frame, still needs a big effort tomorrow night to turn it around
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strewth! Eirian has got his referees outfit on once again.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Top man, great as always bud
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching carter match on freesat rb1, when bbc decide i should watch rocket ronnie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »
    Watching carter match on freesat rb1, when bbc decide i should watch rocket ronnie.

It's the same on Freeview.

Thankfully, I wanted to watch Sullivan - Hull match.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Steve was peeing himself laughing in the comm box as JV'S Chair went funny on him that was pretty amusing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's only the first round and still fully expect him to win this match, but Ronnie is not looking as invincible as usual today.
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9-4 O Sullivan, If Hull can win the next frame I can still get my 10-5 prediction
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad luck Amanda! I am pleased to say i got 10-4 spot on, though i very nearly went for 10-3 couldnt make my mind up until i posted ! Probably be the only score i get right!

Ali Carter is 4-1 up on Xiao Guodong on the other table which isnt good for me as i had him to lose!
This discussion has been closed.