Brit killed in syria, are you sad?

Comments

• BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    His father seems like a deluded, brainwashed idiot.

But smart enough to send his Son to die rather than himself of course.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad. One less murderous arsehole who now can't sire any more murderous arseholes.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the father needs watching, ya know?

Of course, it's safe for the father to say all these things to make himself feel better, from the comfort of his Brighton armchair.

This isn't like joining the British Army, where you go to peacekeep and defend the interest of many and this country. Martyrdom (esp. that linked to potential one-track ideological extremist groups abroad) isn't heroic and it isn't cool. It also isn't British. What do people like this actually want from this country? Why do they come here and then take zero interest?

I feel sorry the boy chose/was influenced down this path. Because that's all he is now, a dead teenager.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    primer wrote: »
    i think whats going on in syria is pretty sad all round.

thousands are dead millions are displaced. i'm not particularly sad about one brit amongst all that, but i don't see it as a cause for celebration. :confused:

I agree.

I know a couple of Syrian families who have family still living in Syria. They are devastated at what has been going on. They have pictures on their mobiles which would break your heart. A lot of innocent families are caught up in all of this and are powerless to help themselves and their communities.

I have no idea what this boys motivation was but it's very easy to just think 'this sort of stuff just happens to other people and they deserve it'. It really isn't the case ................innocent peoples lives have been changed and damaged beyond belief through no fault of their own.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

The OP? Yeah, i know :p:D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Why be sad? According to his dad he got radicalized by stuff he saw on the Internet, so he decided to go to Syria as a Jihadist and got killed...

Darwin in action in the 21st century.

Yes to this ^^^
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not really, I see it as a bit of an oxymoron for a paper to say a UK national died in Syria as if that is somehow more significant than the ethnics dying...same sh it isnt it whoever you are

And if this bloke was a terrorist, well, you reap what you sow! And for what?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as he decided to go and fight for the cause he believed in he wasn't British for me. Just another sad deluded idiot.
    Pity some of the other people who gob off who are in Britain wanting to impose their laws and hating the Western society won't go and do the same.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    No not really, I see it as a bit of an oxymoron for a paper to say a UK national died in Syria as if that is somehow more significant than the ethnics dying...same sh it isnt it whoever you are

Putting this particular story aside, I do agree with this. It always amazes me how certain people seem to believe the life of one nationality to be more significant/ important than another.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No OP.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One less terrorist in the World. What is there to be sad about?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, apparently he was such a nice lad, a real hero, now he has dieded for nothing, silly boy.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Make that three of us who couldn't care less!

Make that four of us. He doesn't sound British anyway.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i think whats going on in syria is pretty sad all round.

thousands are dead millions are displaced
    He went over there to help displace more. Isn't it a positive thing that he has been stopped from that?
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Is this the guy who went to fight for jihad and is now classed as a martyr by his family? Who should we feel sad?

it wasnt so much the fact that a young man got killed fighting, but that he thought he needed to go and fight...
  • ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a waffen ss volunteer from denmark died on the eastern front in 1943, there would be little sympathy, if this 18 year old had gained 'success' likewise no christian, no non believer, no non extreme muslim would be left alive, thus i have no sympathy for him or his family.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I'm glad. One less murderous arsehole who now can't sire any more murderous arseholes.

Well that is one way of looking at it and a good one at that.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

It was his choice to go there.

Next question.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Well that is one way of looking at it and a good one at that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_Jihad
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

It was his choice to go there.

Next question.

What's your favourite animal?
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it wasnt so much the fact that a young man got killed fighting, but that he thought he needed to go and fight...

Has it been said what lead up to him going? Like who influenced him or whatever. Not heard too much about the story.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's your favourite animal?

The Great White Shark (Carcharadon carcharias ). :D
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just another jihad nutcase

you can be sure MI5 are keeping a close eye on this family now though
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fact that he's a Muslim alters everything

It's not that long ago that Dave was trying to get parliament to give him the authority for british forces to get involved against the same Assad that this young man was fighting against...........it was only a backbench revolt that stopped him

would opinions of him differ if british soldiers got dragged in to actual fighting against Assad and he'd gone out voluntarily to fight the same enemy ?

what about other conflicts..........hndreds of brits went out and fought in the Spanish civil war.........heros or villains ?

does the fact that this guy was a muslim overshadow everything else ?

It's difficult to feel sorry for him when he volunteered to step into the middle of a bloody civil war........
  • Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sympathy at all. If he went there to distribute aid then yes.