C J Sansom's "Shardlake" Books

Comments

• marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    I read them in a very strange order, started with Sovereign, then Revelation, then managed to get Dark Fire from the library and then finally got round to reading Dissolution when I borrowed it from my mum. In all honesty, if I had read Dissolution first I may not have bothered with the rest of the series. Not that Dissolution is bad, but IMO it's definitely the weakest of the series and it didn't really grip me. I'm very much looking forward to Heartstone though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I have read them all and have started again at Dissolution recently. I adore the character and think the books are excellently written, you can almost smell Tudor England coming off the page. Dissolution is definitely the weakest of the books but it is still a brilliant read, with twists and turns galore. The nice thing is that Shardlake loses a part of his faith as a result of the goings which certainly gives the books an authenticity they would otherwise lack.

I think my second favourite character after Shardlake himself is Guy, what a great character!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just starting on the audio versions again - I've heard them before, but probably a year or so ago now. I thought I'd listen to them before the new one comes out. They're read by Anton Lesser, and he's perfect for them. I'm listening in bed, and I'm half way through Dissolution. I'd forgotten about Mark Poer! He wasn't a very interesting character, was he? I'm glad Barak came along in the next book, he's far more entertaining.
  • ZeoleZeole Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently started reading this series. I loaned the first book from the library, got halfway through and immediately ordered the rest. I now have the 4 at the side of me and the 5th on order.

I LOVE this series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    just got my copy of ' Heartstone' and i cant put it down.... im reading till 2am lol and wont put the book down till its touching my nose :p

im a real fan of shardlake , love the tudor setting and the characters are gorgeous... i think im in love with matthew :o

if this series of books doesnt get made into a tv series it would be a travesty...so well written and full of life and detail

long may matthew shardlake reign

and heres hoping cj sansom writes more lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to wait for the paperback I think, although I am desperate to read it.

My mother and I had a long conversation about Shardlake last night, and were wishing they'd sort out a tv version. We decided to cast Tom Hollander as Shardlake.
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kesrulz, did you get an advanced reader's copy of 'Heartstone'? I'm jealous as I'm dying to read the new book :) I've also pre-ordered mine from Amazon.

I love Shardlake & Barak :D
    Forum Member
    ordered my copy with play.com.... it arrived thursday 26th... and i havent put it down much since :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to Play.com right now :D

P.S Have you ordered from Play.com before? If so, do you usually get the books before the release date? If that's the norm then I'll use Play.com instead of Amazon.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved the Shardlake books but must confess that the most recent, Revelation, has been my least favourite.
    I'm hoping that Heartstone is back to the unputdownable levels of the first three in the series.
    That said, I know many others loved Revelation .. There were just elements of it that I didn't like - in particular, the turn in direction that some of the characters took.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I'm going to wait for the paperback I think, although I am desperate to read it.

My mother and I had a long conversation about Shardlake last night, and were wishing they'd sort out a tv version. We decided to cast Tom Hollander as Shardlake.

Supposedly there is going to be a TV version with Kenneth Branagh as Shardlake, commissioned by the BBC.

I can't picture Hollander as Shardlake, although he's the right age (and Branagh's probably a bit old) I think he's too good looking to be Shardlake.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last I heard, the Branagh Shardlake was 'on hold'.

I can't picture Tom Hollander as Shardlake either. I've always pictured Jason Isaacs as Shardlake, but then I picture Jason Isaacs a lot:o, but he's going to play Jackson Brodie, another of my detective crushes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Isaacs and Kenneth Branagh would be perfect for Barak & Shardlake even though Branagh's a little too old to play Shardlake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd heard about Branagh, and I do love him, but I think he's too old, and too healthy looking! I'm sure Matthew is described as being quite slight and small, which is why we thought of Tom Hollander. He needs to be someone with a NICE face, I think, as in kind looking, and possibly a bit weak. He needs to be a contrast to a tall, strong, very sexual looking Barak.
    Forum Member
    Off to Play.com right now :D

P.S Have you ordered from Play.com before? If so, do you usually get the books before the release date? If that's the norm then I'll use Play.com instead of Amazon.

i always use play.com :D and yep usually get what i order in advance of the release date, be it a book dvd or pc game... dont know how they do it but i love them lol
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    I've just ordered the first of the Shardlake books - can't wait for it to get here, been wanting to try the series for a while having read plenty of good things about them here.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd heard about Branagh, and I do love him, but I think he's too old, and too healthy looking! I'm sure Matthew is described as being quite slight and small, which is why we thought of Tom Hollander. He needs to be someone with a NICE face, I think, as in kind looking, and possibly a bit weak. He needs to be a contrast to a tall, strong, very sexual looking Barak.

As the books are written in the first person we don't really get a description of Matthew. I don't recall him being described as small and slight, though that may be my poor memory. I know he does talk about looking up at people, but I'd assumed this was because of his bent back.The only mention of his face that I can recall is in Dissolution when he remarks that he has angular features. Oh, and that he has nearly a full set of teeth.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Last I heard, the Branagh Shardlake was 'on hold'.

I can't picture Tom Hollander as Shardlake either. I've always pictured Jason Isaacs as Shardlake, but then I picture Jason Isaacs a lot:o, but he's going to play Jackson Brodie, another of my detective crushes.

He does look a lot like I imagine Jackson Brodie.:D Good casting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartstone has just shipped from Amazon so I should get it tomorrow.Can't wait to read it :D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I read Dissolution first when it first came out and hated it. Then, several years later and I was laid up with a ruptured disc in my back so I borrowed Revelation from the library. It was fantastic so I read Dark Fire and Sovereign and now I can't wait for Heartstone!

:)

P.S 'Revelation' is the best IMHO.
  • darlingdarling Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I'm about three quarters of the way through Dissolution, and loving it. I think I've guessed who done it - but maybe not.. :)

I'll definitely be reading the rest of the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasnt going to read these as I don't tend to like historically set novels - I have had a few bad experiences.

However, a friend persuaded me to read "pillars of the earth" and "world without end" both set in similar times and they are two of the best books I have ever read.

The same friend has now said "well if you liked those, you will also like the Shardlake books" so I have bought myself a copy of the first one and will be reading it after the next Lee Child book. From the sounds of it, my friend is right again :)
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

WH Smiths had 'Heartstone' at half price - £9.45 - yesterday. Not much dearer than a paperback if you can't wait - there's even a little metal Tudor bookmark with it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    WH Smiths had 'Heartstone' at half price - £9.45 - yesterday. Not much dearer than a paperback if you can't wait - there's even a little metal Tudor bookmark with it!

It's not the price, it's the size! It's like a breeze block - there's no way it'll fit in my handbag, and there's no way I can hold it in bed.

Does anyone know when the paperback is due out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just started Dissolution. Enjoying it so far, although I have to say I'm not as keen on the writing style as I was Ken Follett's. But its shaping up nicely.