Chris Evans controversy: Blown out of proportion

Comments

• p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Thing is, they have to be careful. It makes sense for the Daily Mail to attack Jonathan Ross - he's not exactly their target audience - but a newspaper having a go at a presenter is often indirectly having a go at his or her listeners, and at times showing themselves to be out of touch.
  • Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    It's Russell Brand / Jonathan Ross all over again. People will complain to the BBC, thus jumping on the bandwagon in an attempt to get Chris Evans the sack :rolleyes:
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Russell Brand / Jonathan Ross all over again. People will complain to the BBC, thus jumping on the bandwagon in an attempt to get Chris Evans the sack :rolleyes:

Surely a newspaper can't get him the sack unless he does something wrong!
    I read the Evening Standard on the train home this evening. Once again, the ES has attacked Chris Evans. It also made references to complaints published about Evans in the Radio Times.

Certain tabloids are stirring up trouble. I'm surprised the Daily Mail hasn't jumped on the bandwagon :rolleyes:

As soon as there are complaints made about an individual radio presenter the tabloids swoop in like a pack of vultures. They persecuted Russell Brand and Jonthan Ross after the Andrew Sachs debacle in October 2008. They have continued to attack Jonathan Ross, and now they're targeting Chris Evans.

It's the same old story. :rolleyes:
    There were letters of complaint about Chris Evans in last Sunday's Express as well.... from the public not journos!
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely a newspaper can't get him the sack unless he does something wrong!

But he has! He's presenting the breakfast show without the permission of the crusty old pensioners who don't like him! it's indefensible!
    Forum Member
    slimjim wrote: »
    But he has! He's presenting the breakfast show without the permission of the crusty old pensioners who don't like him! it's indefensible!

Post of the day! ^^ :D

Sadly, the TOGS would prefer to hear an old dinosaur on the breakfast show like Sarah Kennedy, Derek Jameson or Ed Stewart :rolleyes:

I often wonder what decade the anti Chris Evans brigade are living in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    slimjim wrote: »

What's a crusty old pensioner?
    Forum Member
    howard66 wrote: »
    What's a crusty old pensioner?

Desmond Carrington, Brian Matthew, David Jacobs, Russell Davies, Elaine Paige, Sarah Kennedy...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desmond Carrington, Brian Matthew, David Jacobs, Russell Davies, Elaine Paige, Sarah Kennedy...
    Brian Matthew's show is one of the best things on radio. His age is not an issue.

Murray... you seem to have very little new to say in your 40+ posts per day - just the same personal attacks over and over. Maybe it's time to slow down a little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Matthew's show is one of the best things on radio, and Desmond Carrington's show is frequently a delightful collection of the unknown and unexpected. Their age is not an issue.

Murray... you seem to have very little new to say in your 40+ posts per day - just the same personal attacks over and over. Maybe it's time to slow down a little.
    Forum Member
    You say age is not an issue, but have you recently heard David Jacobs on the radio? His voice is croaky and his speech is slurred. He really has started to sound his age.

Is it right to have an unheathly sounding pensioner on the radio? I think not.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murraymint have you seen today's DM - there is a letter from a 74 year old lady who says Chris is a breath of fresh air and she was fed up of the cosy pipe/slippers indulgence of Wogan, asking why "TOGS" think they have a right to be consulted who replaces Tel.

I think if they just gave Chris a chance they might lighten up a bit.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has already been covered, but I have delved into the CE show on and off while driving, much as I used to with TW, and the playlist seems to be radically different from TW's, with a bias towards much older music and a lack of current material. It sounds much more like a "Gold" station. This is not what I would have expected from a younger presenter. If my musical tastes were fossilised and I wanted a Gold station, I would listen to one, but this is not what I thought Radio 2 was about. When Ken Bruce takes over the palylist seems to revert to normal. Am I imagining this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murraymint have you seen today's DM - there is a letter from a 74 year old lady who says Chris is a breath of fresh air and she was fed up of the cosy pipe/slippers indulgence of Wogan, asking why "TOGS" think they have a right to be consulted who replaces Tel.

That's probably been written by one of his bloggers pretending to be a 74-year old!!!! ;)

Tel played better record than CE does... don't know who picks them!!
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an avid TOG but was also a fan of Chris on Drive Time too, and I was thrilled when I heard he was taking over.

However, it's just not working for me. There were a couple of things on DT that I didn't like - the kids, Women's Minute, guests, the sports that quite often I turned over at teatime - but I could tolerate them at that time of the day. However in the morning I just want music that I enjoy and a bit of friendly chat. I like Chris, Jonny and Moira, it's just that there is too much going on.

Also Barrowlands Boyd chose a much better playlist for Sir Terry than Chris's producers are. I think they think that they can woo the TOGs with oldies, when the TOGs actually have always embraced a wide range of music.

I've pretty much turned off the radio altogether now. Can't do with the adverts on commercial radio, so I'm catching up with my MP3 player. I WANT to like Radio 2 but my thoughts are
    :
    Sarah Kennedy - tend to go along with the majority on here :rolleyes:
    Chris - please cut out the stunts
    Ken Bruce - seems to be the best thing on all day now
    Jeremy Vine - Can't bear this show - if I wanted politics I would listen to Radio 4. We need music and diversion at lunchtime instead of a load of Victor Meldrews
    Steve Wright - OK but better when he isn't there
    Simon Mayo - OK but cut out the boring musicians that no one has heard of. Preferred Chris in this spot.

It's just not working for me. But it could be worse - we could have Johnny Walker stumbling over his words or Richard Allinson patronising us every day.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you weren't listening properly then slimjim..... because just before he interviewed the voice-over guy from Come Dine With Me, he played a snatch of Andy Williams' song, It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year and then he said "Happy Christmas 2010 everyone, just let me be the first to greet you with that!"

Cutting edge stuff eh? Total change in direction for the programme - the man is a genius.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I noticed this afternoon that Simon Mayo had a lot more messages on his blog than Chris Evans did on his so I think Simon has a lot of fans of his show. He's got a good team with Foxy, Sal and the new sports guy Matt, who sounds and looks really nice and he's great at interviewing as well and has a good rapport with everyone. :cool:

Since when was that a qualification to be a radio presenter?
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been covered, but I have delved into the CE show on and off while driving, much as I used to with TW, and the playlist seems to be radically different from TW's, with a bias towards much older music and a lack of current material. It sounds much more like a "Gold" station. This is not what I would have expected from a younger presenter. If my musical tastes were fossilised and I wanted a Gold station, I would listen to one, but this is not what I thought Radio 2 was about. When Ken Bruce takes over the palylist seems to revert to normal. Am I imagining this?

I think you're imagining it. However, I think it's fair to say there's been a concerted effort to chuck a few more oldies in the breakfast mix to perhaps placate the critics who think CE is some sort of young oik playing yoof music. Perhaps it's also more noticeable in peak time because - aside from Gold and the occasional track from Smooth - not many other stations play stuff from the sixties.
    Forum Member
    Helbrown wrote: »

In the morning I just want music that I enjoy and a bit of friendly chat. I like Chris, Jonny and Moira, it's just that there is too much going on.

Also Barrowlands Boyd chose a much better playlist for Sir Terry than Chris's producers are. I think they think that they can woo the TOGs with oldies, when the TOGs actually have always embraced a wide range of music.
    Jeremy Vine - Can't bear this show - if I wanted politics I would listen to Radio 4. We need music and diversion at lunchtime instead of a load of Victor Meldrews

Well since Radio 2 is an entertainment station, I personally prfer to be entertained. Yes, maybe there are too many features and I think as the show evolves they might be scaled back - see what works and what doesn't.

The playlist will probably be monitored by people far igher up the chain at R2. Again, I think the programme will evolve. Remember, it's only been going a few weeks! Do you think Radio 1 had it "just right" after three weeks on air?

Vine (or his show) are a compulsory part of the Service Licence to have a current affairs strand in peaktime.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »

I'm glad yuve said that I thought that it was my imagination the playlist is really frumpy I think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad yuve said that I thought that it was my imagination the playlist is really frumpy I think
    I agree... I think he's trying to please Terry's old TOGS, thinking they like frumpy stuff, when in fact Terry played a lot of new stuff!!!

Simon Mayo's playing some excellent music and his show is good without the manic 'all over the place' style of Chris Evans. Tonight's show was particularly good with a nice mix of songs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Kelner paints a fair and balanced critique on Mr Evans.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2010/jan/25/chris-evans-martin-kelner
    Here's an interesting 3-page article/interview (Times Online) and paints a good picture of Chris' lifestyle with his £10m house, brand new Rolls Royce with FAB1 plate (he never struck me as a Roller guy) his numerous Ferraris, Classic cars, pubs and restaurants! I'm sure he doesn't really need to work with all that lot, at such a young age! ;)

He must be car daft and apparently owns number plates FAB 1 and 1 FAB. FAB 1 was previously on his Ferrari 250 California Spyder, before being transferred to his Roller, though the Ferrari is now sporting the very apt FER 1. also owns ENZ 1000, ENZ 2000, ENZ 3000, ENZ 40 (on the awesome Ferrari F40 of course), ENZ 250 on the 250 Lusso, and ENZ 246 on the little Ferrari 246 GT Dino.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article6971662.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sitesearch.do?turnOffGoogleAds=false&sortBy=relevancy&offset=1&query=ChrisEvans&hitsperpage=10&nextOffset=1&leftStartIndex=1&leftEndIndex=10&sectionId=674
    Forum Member
    I think he's had a keen interest in cars for some time. I'm pretty sure I saw the FAB number plate some years ago.
    Forum Member

Well, this is excellent! That said, Chris used to receive correspondence from elderly listeners when he was on Saturday afternoons.

It's nice to know that some elderly people aren't TOGITES.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO the only good thing that has come out of the CE move to the breakfast show is Simon Mayo getting the drivetime gig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the only good thing that has come out of the CE move to the breakfast show is Simon Mayo getting the drivetime gig
    Simon is making a really good job of it too, along with Foxy, Sal and Matt... and I like the way he moved quietly into it, without appearing on any TV and radio programmes to publicise it and all those endless TV adverts that the breakfast show is getting daily!! ;)