Options

Chris Evans controversy: Blown out of proportion

Comments

• Options
    johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slimjim wrote: »
    When you can show that someone has suggested "blocking out everything in the past", you'll have made a relevant point.

Radio 2 are doing just that with daytime radio.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    No because it is UNREASONABLE by any yardstick.

Your second sentence doesn't make sense.
    Yes I think a better solution will be another station - but we don't have that.

Again you are putting the interests of one set of listeners above the other. You are making a value judgement. One set of listeners is worth entertaining, the others can go and hang.
    It is not fair, it is not just and it is not following the station's remit.
    You have provided no reason why a variety Radio 2 with lots of different programmes wouldn't work - or are you saying that Joe Public are so musically narrow minded that if you feed them anything other than pop radio, they will automatically reject it?

You talk about people expecting to tune into music during the day that won't alienate them. What about me? What about John Wright or Howard or Eileen or any other poster on here who does not want to be force fed with pop.
    I'm sorry, but you seem to be taking a very self centred view point over this.

Well said John.

It's a sad day when the whole of the 'Great American Songbook' is classed as alienating. Goodbye Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Johnny Mercer et al.

So Rod Stewart is out of step then!

On another note, sad to hear about the death of Johhny Dankworth.
  • Options
    johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard66 wrote: »
    Well said John.

It's a sad day when the whole of the 'Great American Songbook' is classed as alienating. Goodbye Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Johnny Mercer et al.

So Rod Stewart is out of step then!

On another note, sad to hear about the death of Johhny Dankworth.

Yes Howard, alienating to who?
    I get the sense of a very unlevel playing field here. Slimjim thinks it is OK to have other music on Radio 2 but not during the day. I cannot see his logic. Why alienate one group on one hand and then act unjustly to ensure you don't upset another group.
    Fair play it seems has gone out of the window.

Yes sad to hear about Johnny Dankworth - a net contributor to music in this country. Hadn't realised he wrote those TV themes.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you can show that someone has suggested "blocking out everything in the past", you'll have made a relevant point.

Er, you I think ...

I'm afraid we (ok, you and John) need to accept that time moves on, and accept that the past is gone.
  • Options
    slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because it is UNREASONABLE by any yardstick.

In other words, you can't see that it's reasonable. OK.
    Your second sentence doesn't make sense.

Yes, it was truncated somehow. Apologies.
    Again you are putting the interests of one set of listeners above the other. You are making a value judgement. One set of listeners is worth entertaining, the others can go and hang.
    It is not fair, it is not just and it is not following the station's remit.

In your world, lovers of nose flute music are viciously persecuted because they don't have a two-hour show on Radio Two each weekday afternoon. In the real world it's because theirs is a minority interest, and no matter how legitimate it is, it has to be balanced against the interest of a larger number of listeners who don't want to hear it. Nothing unfair about it.
    You have provided no reason why a variety Radio 2 with lots of different programmes wouldn't work - or are you saying that Joe Public are so musically narrow minded that if you feed them anything other than pop radio, they will automatically reject it?

Not necessarily. Radio Two does play a reasonably wide range of genres already, even during the day. But two hours of a minority interest genre every day is flatly in conflict with the notion of a a popular radio station.
    You talk about people expecting to tune into music during the day that won't alienate them. What about me? What about John Wright or Howard or Eileen or any other poster on here who does not want to be force fed with pop.
    I'm sorry, but you seem to be taking a very self centred view point over this.

No, I think I'm taking a pragmatic view that recognises the interest of the majority of Radio Two listeners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Er, you I think ...

I'm afraid we (ok, you and John) need to accept that time moves on, and accept that the past is gone.

Nope. Certainly not me then, if that's the closest quotation you can find to support your assertion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 2 are doing just that with daytime radio.
    You might be interested to pick a daytime show at random and look through the tracklist. You'll discover that you are wrong.
  • Options
    John WJohn W Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In your world, lovers of nose flute music are viciously persecuted because they don't have a two-hour show on Radio Two each weekday afternoon. In the real world it's because theirs is a minority interest, and no matter how legitimate it is, it has to be balanced against the interest of a larger number of listeners who don't want to hear it. Nothing unfair about it.

Hmmm, your example suggests you are desperately losing this argument slimjim.

Why not use Catherine Jenkins or Matt Monro? A large number of people don't want to hear them but....
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slimjim, why do I get the feeling you would have an argument in an empty room? LOL
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    John W wrote: »
    Hmmm, your example suggests you are desperately losing this argument slimjim.

Why not use Catherine Jenkins or Matt Monro? A large number of people don't want to hear them but....

Well I've always said that variety is a good thing - and pointed out earlier in the thread that Chris Evans got me off ot a good start the other week with The Candyman by Sammy Davies Jnr, straight out of the 0800 news.

What you have to remember of course, is that some of Slimjim's comments are simply providing an alternative viewpoint to some of the rather strange suggestions made by others. If you want to take it out of context, that's your lookout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    slimjim, why do I get the feeling you would have an argument in an empty room? LOL

As far as I recall, this is called a forum :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you have to remember of course, is that some of Slimjim's comments are simply providing an alternative viewpoint to some of the rather strange suggestions made by others. If you want to take it out of context, that's your lookout.

Mapperley, his nose flutes 'example' was an attempt at sarcasm which just showed he had lost his argument or had nowhere to go with it. Let him use Catherine Jenkins as an example.
    Well I've always said that variety is a good thing - and pointed out earlier in the thread that Chris Evans got me off ot a good start the other week with The Candyman by Sammy Davies Jnr, straight out of the 0800 news.

Mapperley,

Have you only listened to Evans' show once?

Evans use of (part of) the Sammy record is one of his repetitive gimmicks, probably used it every day; he never plays it to LISTEN to it's one of his 'tools', it's a piss take.

Where have you been ? :rolleyes:

:p

John W
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mapperley, his nose flutes 'example' was an attempt at sarcasm which just showed he had lost his argument or had nowhere to go with it. Let him use Catherine Jenkins as an example.

Mapperley,

Have you only listened to Evans' show once?

Evans use of (part of) the Sammy record is one of his repetitive gimmicks, probably used it every day; he never plays it to LISTEN to it's one of his 'tools', it's a piss take.

Where have you been ? :rolleyes:

:p

John W

Your answer suggests that you've only listened to one of his shows. Nope, I've listened to quite a few - I dip in and out of lots of radio stations actually. On the occasion I mentioned, he played the whole song from start to finish. I was demonstrating that the playlist is in some ways more varied (certainly by the age of the records) compared to Wogan.

I too get worried by certain posters reverting to certaion techniques to shout down the other one's argument. Was it in this thread on another similar one I saw someone once again referring to Hitler....?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too get worried by certain posters reverting to certaion techniques to shout down the other one's argument.

Indeed mapperley, and nose flutes is unforgivable!

Was it in this thread on another similar one I saw someone once again referring to Hitler....?

He's not heard of Godwin's law then, yet follows it!

Just in case you missed my point maps, or avoiding it, Evans use of (part of) the Sammy record is one of his repetitive gimmicks, he never plays it to LISTEN to it's one of his 'tools', it's a piss take

and doesn't count in his TOG-tune easy-listening quota for the week.

John W
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed mapperley, and nose flutes is unforgivable!

He's not heard of Godwin's law then, yet follows it!

Just in case you missed my point maps, or avoiding it, Evans use of (part of) the Sammy record is one of his repetitive gimmicks, he never plays it to LISTEN to it's one of his 'tools', it's a piss take

and doesn't count in his TOG-tune easy-listening quota for the week.

John W

Indeed he does - I'd forgotten the name of it. I'll spare his blushes by not naming him.

And no, I didn't miss your point John - I merely presented a counter argument. I - and I suspect - MILLIONS OF OTHERS (remember that phrase from last year?) - regard Chris's show as an entertaining listen.

No, it's not for me every day and not all the time - but when I do tune in I smile. Silly can also be entertaining. Some clearly don't share that view.

And what's this "quota" you bang on about? That's a theory made up by the Evans critics who will see anything he does as a gimmick to placate TOGS, include the older end of the audience, whatever. Guess what, it's not a conspiracy - it's part of the mix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mapperley,

I'm not banging on about a quota, I just said quota.

It is reference to comments that Evans made during his first two weeks whenever he played something pre-1960, for example 'See look, I told you I would play this music' so clearly he had the intention to 'placate TOGS'.

He or his producers clearly have a quota of just ONE now, and it's Moira's Golden Oldie, today it was Guy Mitchell.

Much of Evans track list is just commercial/local station fodder for the masses of folk who aren't interested in music, it's not distinctive radio and yesterday a real switch-off for me who is sick to the teeth of hearing:

Soft Cell — Tainted Love
    The Troggs — Wild Thing
    Status Quo — Whatever You Want
    Squeeze — Cool For Cats
    Meat Loaf — You Took The Words ........

and today

Eddie Cochran — C'mon Everybody
    Pet Shop Boys — Always On My Mind
    Wings — Silly Love Songs
    Derek and the Dominos — Layla
    The Kinks — Lola

Mind-numbing for a breakfast show, really

John W
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Just in case you missed my point maps, or avoiding it, Evans use of (part of) the Sammy record is one of his repetitive gimmicks, he never plays it to LISTEN to it's one of his 'tools', it's a piss take.

You clearly didn't listen on Friday when he played it in full same the previous week from memory.

It's a nice cheerful sing-a-long song to herald the start of the weekend for all the family, as it was written specifically for Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for which Davis wanted to play Bill but ended up just covering the song.

I not only miss the point of the last part of your sentence, as far as I can see you don't appear to have one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »

I not only miss the point of the last part of your sentence, as far as I can see you don't appear to have one.

You'll have to look further then Mike :p;)
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    You'll have to look further then Mike :p;)

Does your use of winks and smilies indicate that there's some sort of subliminal message being broadcast that for three minutes I am not supposed to listen to this record each week perhaps?

I know of no-one else who notices this, I'd have thought most are smiling along with a cheerful record or thinking why is this played every week, it's getting repetitive.

He was thinking of changing it to Mr. Bojangles a couple of weeks ago and asking for opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Does your use of winks and smilies indicate that there's some sort of subliminal message being broadcast.....

No Mike, they are there to indicate that a reply is not necessary :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I have been listening on and off to CE on the way to work. I really like CE...he was good in the 90s and on the drivetime show. His voice was a bit like sunshine pouring from the radio.

I just can't warm to him at breakfast though and don't know why. One reason could be the kids' phoning in or even the modulation of his voice that time in the morning. I think it's because, as other posters have said, many other breakfast shows copy the format CE revitalised in the 1990s. The result is that there is less choice of different types of presenting. Although I wasn't a Wogan fan he did offer something different to the 'zany' zoo format which pervades the airwaves.

I listen to 5live most of the time now. I like Nicky Campbell's soft tones. It would be a really good listen if they added music to the mix and dropped the sports coverage: an ideal breakfast choice for me.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC. are now having to advertise Chris Evans' show on daytime T.V.
    Are they worried about the dwindling audience??
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see his name is now linked with The One Show for an hour on Friday nights!!! :eek:And quite rightly, Adrian Chiles is not happy!!! :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1249757/Adrian-Chiles-threatens-quit-The-One-Show-plans-Chris-Evans-prime-Friday-slot.html

For goodness sake we don't want Chris Evans doing The One Show and taking over all the programmes... as he's linked with the Friday Jonathan Ross show too!!

No thank you... once a day is enough!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Much of Evans track list is just commercial/local station fodder for the masses of folk who aren't interested in music, it's not distinctive radio and yesterday a real switch-off for me who is sick to the teeth of hearing:

Soft Cell — Tainted Love
    The Troggs — Wild Thing
    Status Quo — Whatever You Want
    Squeeze — Cool For Cats
    Meat Loaf — You Took The Words ........

and today

Eddie Cochran — C'mon Everybody
    Pet Shop Boys — Always On My Mind
    Wings — Silly Love Songs
    Derek and the Dominos — Layla
    The Kinks — Lola

Mind-numbing for a breakfast show, really

John W

Name me one mainstream commercial radio station that would play that variety of tracks in a single show? It's far more distinctive than the average track listing for a Global or Bauer station. I think we get the point John - you don't like the show. But don't try and make a point about distinctiveness which clearly doesn't stand up.

As Mike Br has suggested, it's called entertainment. Background/wallpaper radio? Maybe. But realistically most people are doing several things in the mornings as well as listening to the radio. Many don't want anything too heavy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see his name is now linked with The One Show for an hour on Friday nights!!! :eek:And quite rightly, Adrian Chiles is not happy!!! :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1249757/Adrian-Chiles-threatens-quit-The-One-Show-plans-Chris-Evans-prime-Friday-slot.html

For goodness sake we don't want Chris Evans doing The One Show and taking over all the programmes... as he's linked with the Friday Jonathan Ross show too!!

No thank you... once a day is enough!!!

This is typical Daily Mail speculation based on "insiders" and "rumours" with absolutely no proof or named sources. Reports of Chiles "threatening" to walk out seem a little exaggerated to say the least. Where else would he go? Channel 4 at 5pm? Studio 5?

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Chris Evans was given a talk show of some sort - be it this one or something new. He's got the ability to entertain and connect with people in a way that Adrian Chiles could only dream of. Having said that, I do rather like his self-depricating tone on the One Show - clearly taking the piss when linking from stories about dodgy car insurance to something like performing cats. All very Nationwide/That's Life and inexplicably popular in the ratings.

I've also found the one hour Friday One Show a bit of a drag at times - it kind of reminds me when Westcountry TV used to do a whole hour of news every night! Perhaps it does need a new face.

But take this article with a lorryload of salt.