Options

Number Porting Question

DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I understand that when you port your number the old network has to redirect to the new network (who then has control of your number once its ported in). But what happens when you port a number from its original network to another one and then port it again?

Comments

• Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it gets re-directed again.
    There's soon to be a central database (did I read that on here?) so that numbers don't 'belong' to a network as such and therefore won't have to be re-directed.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    There's soon to be a central database (did I read that on here?) so that numbers don't 'belong' to a network as such and therefore won't have to be re-directed.

I believe the (current) UK porting system is unique - no one else in the world operates the system that we do. There's a term for this, what it is I can't remember.

Hopefully the move to the system that the rest of the world uses will take away the silly 3 working day period for what is effectively an automated change in a database somewhere.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I believe the (current) UK porting system is unique - no one else in the world operates the system that we do. There's a term for this, what it is I can't remember.

Hopefully the move to the system that the rest of the world uses will take away the silly 3 working day period for what is effectively an automated change in a database somewhere.
    There is so much wrong with that. We aren't the only country to use our system. Its two working days currently, not three. We don't have a database as such, numbers are allocated to a provider, who are responsible for routing the call to your current provider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with that. We aren't the only country to use our system. Its two working days currently, not three. We don't have a database as such, numbers are allocated to a provider, who are responsible for routing the call to your current provider.

According to Wikipedia, we are the only country to use "donor-led" porting and routing calls through the donor's network - and even that appears to be changing.

You make it seem as if two working days is much better than three for what is still effectively an automated change. Why can't it be done in minutes like in some other countries (aside from opposition by some of the networks)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, donor led porting is something the networks are keen to keep as it gives them a chance to try and persuade you to stay!
  • Options
    DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    Yes, donor led porting is something the networks are keen to keep as it gives them a chance to try and persuade you to stay!

Well when i asked O2 for my PAC yesterday (because their 3G is awful!!) they just gave me it, no questions asked!

Im going to have to wait till tuesday to use it though...
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Moox.
    I think you will find that basing an argument on a Wikipedia article is fraught with danger and liable to leave you corrected by someone .
    I was merely correcting your three day claim. I didn't make any comment as to its acceptability. I happen to think that two days is too long, a few hours would be better.

I think you've misunderstood what donor led porting means. It doesn't refer to the routing of incoming calls by your original network. Its nothing to do with the mechanics of making calls or whether there is a database.
    It means that when you want to port a number, you contact your current network. They are then in charge of the process.

The alternative is to put your new provider in control of the port. The advantage to the consumer is that it's one less phone call to make. The disadvantage to the consumer is that your number could be slammed and find yourself unknowingly changing networks.
    For the networks it has the advantage that someone can take up an offer immediately, without having to go back to their current network and possibly changing their mind. But this is also a disadvantage as customers could leave without the chance to keep them.
    I don't know what will happen. The experience of recipient led porting/migration in the power companies and other communication areas, which has been generally bad for the consumer, may mean we stick with donor led. But its possible that OfCom will come up with some way to protect the consumer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you've misunderstood what donor led porting means. It doesn't refer to the routing of incoming calls by your original network. Its nothing to do with the mechanics of making calls or whether there is a database.
    It means that when you want to port a number, you contact your current network. They are then in charge of the process.

I think you've misunderstood what I said. I said "donor led porting and routing calls through the donor's network" - two different concepts. I wasn't trying to say that one must mean the other.
    The disadvantage to the consumer is that your number could be slammed and find yourself unknowingly changing networks.

How does every other country prevent this? Would it be too much work to ensure that the customer absolutely wants to port?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moox.
    I think you will find that basing an argument on a Wikipedia article is fraught with danger and liable to leave you corrected by someone .
    I was merely correcting your three day claim. I didn't make any comment as to its acceptability. I happen to think that two days is too long, a few hours would be better.

The alternative is to put your new provider in control of the port. The advantage to the consumer is that it's one less phone call to make. The disadvantage to the consumer is that your number could be slammed and find yourself unknowingly changing networks.
    For the networks it has the advantage that someone can take up an offer immediately, without having to go back to their current network and possibly changing their mind. But this is also a disadvantage as customers could leave without the chance to keep them.
    I don't know what will happen. The experience of recipient led porting/migration in the power companies and other communication areas, which has been generally bad for the consumer, may mean we stick with donor led. But its possible that OfCom will come up with some way to protect the consumer.

Wikipedia is written and edited by the general public, much like these forums are. Why should someone be any more inclined to believe what they read here than on Wiki, or anywhere else on the internet?
    Wouldn't you agree that many postings on here are based on information gained from the internet, which may or may not be accurate?
    I agree with what you say about Wikipedia, but surely the same rules apply when reading advice/information given here - that information supplied by users on DS is not necessarily correct?
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Based on current Ofcom and EU recommendations, in the short term (by May next year) all the networks will have to provide a 24hr turnaround when a customer wants to port their number. I understand it that networks will have to provide the PAC number within 2 hours by text message and the process should take 24 hrs to complete. Ofcom suggested that in the short term this is the most cost effective as little would need to be changed in way of how the current porting process operates, the only difference is a shorter time span. Over the longer term it is envisaged that number porting would occur within the day.

Three is the only network that supports shortening the port process. All the other networks are dead set against it, and you can bet Everything Everywhere with it's two brands will be the first to object.....

I should expect come 2012 we will be inline with the rest of europe and individuals will be able to have their number ported within the same day.
  • Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a very old number that was originally on Vodafone that's been ported around a fair bit over the years depending on who's offering the best deal at the time. When I dial my own number, I notice it takes quite a long time to start ringing - up to 15 seconds. Is it going through all the networks it's ever been with (Voda, Asda, O2, Three), or is it just going from Vodafone to my current network?

The worst experience I've ever had getting a PAC has been Three - they pretend not to understand what you've said, and it can take half an hour or more of them repeating themselves and offering you increasingly desperate deals before you finally get a code out of them. I was on the verge of just giving up my number and literally had to start raising my voice and saying over-and-over, "can you give me my PAC, please?" It's a shame, because apart from the hellishly awful retentions people, I never had a problem with them.