Best vacuum cleaner for cat hair?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
Forum Member
✭✭
We have two cats and have just moved into a house with cream carpets throughout. Our vacuum cleaner is useless, so we need to get a new one. Can anyone recommend one that is particularly good for cat hair please?

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do with finding this out as well - my carpet is gross at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had to resort to getting down on my knees with a damp cloth and I don't fancy doing that again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I have 2 long hair cats and cream carpets - Miele Cat and Dog every time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vacumes only work for so long with cats. Sounds a silly idea have you cleaned the pipe out it might pick up a bit more then. I only got a cheap hoover from asda its works for what i want its good enough for 15 cats
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Maxiscot wrote: »
    I agree, my Miele Cat and Dog is excellent. I've had it over 10 years and it's still going strong with 2 cats and a dog in the house (not to mention the dog's friends who visit).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good suggestions here - thanks. Has anyone tried the Dyson pet hair range as OH says they have had some good reviews?
  • GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Henry every time. Get the 'extra' model with turbo brush (or order the brush separately, details on numatic website I think) then you'll be set for life :)
  • pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for miele cat and dog here, 4 cats and it works brilliantly, it almost lifts the carpet off the floor :D
    I also have cream carpets in my bedrooms and recently made another brilliant discovery that saves my OH getting out the miele and lugging it upstairs every day. Its the Bissell Perfect Sweep manual Floor sweeper and its on sale in Argos UK at the moment for only 15 quid-bargain!

Gets up cat hairs amazingly. I empty it each time I use it and you can use it on wooden floors and tiles too. I was a bit skeptical about it at first but its great for keeping the cat hair under control and we only hoover at the weekends. I can't use the hoover but this is really light and easy to carry up and down so I can do my bit. I wouldn't bother with the rechargeable ones as this really works. I don't work for Bissell or have shares in them but I have been raving about this for weeks now. The cats aren't scared of it either unlike the hoover :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. We have read the reviews on the Miele on Amazon, Argos etc and so many people rave about them. John Lewis is doing a good deal on them right now so we think might go for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Maxiscot wrote: »

I have one long haired cat and a golden retriever who should be bald now given the amount of hair he loses. I had a Dyson but changed to a Miele Cat & Dog on a friends recommendation. It's great and I would highly recommend it.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a Vax pet hair vacuum and it's crap!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We decided to go for the Miele Cat and Dog and I have to say it is amazing! It picks up cat hair our other hoover just sailed over!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. We have read the reviews on the Miele on Amazon, Argos etc and so many people rave about them. John Lewis is doing a good deal on them right now so we think might go for that.

This thread got me curious. My 10-year-old Dyson doesn't do a bad job, but it's not great either. The reviews on the Miele and the price on JL is very tempting.
  • thefoxmistressthefoxmistress Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    This thread got me curious. My 10-year-old Dyson doesn't do a bad job, but it's not great either. The reviews on the Miele and the price on JL is very tempting.

Tell me about it! I've got a Dyson animal, which was fab to start with but soon became a bit meh. I sometimes end up doing a bit of a pre-hoovering mental moonwalk/dance with my trainers on, as the rubber/friction unhoofs a lot of the hairs - but thankfully I only have to do that in the hall :o:D

Where is this JL you speak of?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it! I've got a Dyson animal, which was fab to start with but soon became a bit meh. I sometimes end up doing a bit of a pre-hoovering mental moonwalk/dance with my trainers on, as the rubber/friction unhoofs a lot of the hairs - but thankfully I only have to do that in the hall :o:D

Where is this JL you speak of?

:D (Sorry, just smilin' at your dancin'.)

Apologies, JL = John Lewis!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D (Sorry, just smilin' at your dancin'.)

Apologies, JL = John Lewis!

:o:D

Oooh, that's a VERY good price......thanks for that!

No more weird moonwalking for me! (Unless the cats ask, of course :p)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heart you for the heads up on the JL price - wasn't sure if the free postage applied to the IOM or not, but it did and not only that, it arrived today! How happy am I? Considering it's a vacuum cleaner and all that :o but YAY! anyway :D:D

Just need to try it out now.....:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    The upholstery attachment on a Dyson works brilliantly on my sofa :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

me too - cant wait for it to break lol

edit - omg just looked at the miele on JL, is £289 considered a good price for this!?!? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have the budget, Miele Cat and Dog every time. Always comes top in the Which reviews (something that Dyson has never come near to). If you want to save a few pennies, Henry is great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    h007 wrote: »

edit - omg just looked at the miele on JL, is £289 considered a good price for this!?!? :eek:

No, that's a shocking price!!!!! Why do people always think JL is fab? If you're buying a branded piece of equipment, why does it matter where it's from? A little affected really.... They're bloomin expensive! Comet or Amazon are selling it for 230. Managed to get mine for 189 in Currys just before Xmas though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I agree with Maxiscot, Miele Cat and Dog is excellent.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member

I bought a Vax in January to use upstairs to save me lugging my Dyson about. It's already been sent for repair twice and I've probably only used it 4 times when it's been working.

I really wish I'd just got another Dyson. However, perhaps Miele is the way to go from what I've been reading here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    h007 wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Roooty, I wuv u even more now - I got mine for the bang tidy price of £188 :p:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Roooty, I wuv u even more now - I got mine for the bang tidy price of £188 :p:D:D

Hahaha. My work here is done! (I still haven't bought one myself. Yet.) :)