Options

Jai's Wikipedia entry proposed for deletion

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
What is the matter with this user who wants it off?

Comments

• Options
    Lo RitorneLo Ritorne Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    What?
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Internet.

Serious business.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably someone who's favourite didn't win. Some people take it far too seriously.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    He's only notable for one event which isn't enough to have his own page.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who is it? Amanda Holden?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    ForestChav wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware every winner of Britain and America's Got Talent as well as X Factor and American Idol got their own page after winning. Ties in with the shows and most will go on to be stars.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware every winner of Britain and America's Got Talent as well as X Factor and American Idol got their own page after winning. Ties in with the shows and most will go on to be stars.

I refer you to
    WP:Otherstuff
    WP:Crystal
    WP:1E
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Well the people I referred to, still got their pages and I'm sure people are happy to read them. For example, X Factor winners are guaranteed an album release which will make them professional performers. I suppose a BGT winner could go back into obscurity but it's not happened yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, but after they had presumably released selling albums so not JUST notable for their BGT/XF/whatever win.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winner of a major talent show and performer at the Royal Variety Performance is surely enough for a wiki page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Winner of a major talent show and performer at the Royal Variety Performance is surely enough for a wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:1E
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet if anybody else won though they'd be no debate about it... Jai IMO deserves his own page... nice to see he wants a role in 'glee' as well I'd love to watch him on the show I hope big things become of Jai.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bet if anybody else won though they'd be no debate about it... Jai IMO deserves his own page... nice to see he wants a role in 'glee' as well I'd love to watch him on the show I hope big things become of Jai.

I suspect it would still be NFD if they were still notable for only one thing.

Other contestants have not had their own pages unless they were notable for other things before, or after, BGT.

The Wikipedia policy with things like this is always if they are ONLY notable for BGT then they need to be mentioned in the BGT page and not their own.

If Ronan won, for example, his page would still be deleted unless they could find other things he had notability for (e.g. if he'd sung last christmas at them turning on the lights in Norwich, or something, and there was media coverage which could be linked to in his page).
  • Options
    fred68fred68 Posts: 84
    Forum Member

And since when were you the judge of what should be on Wikipedia,a site with only slightly more credibility that DS? priceless post :D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not just winners. It's par for the course.

It's just ridiculous bitter supporters of contestants who didn't win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fred68 wrote: »
    And since when were you the judge of what should be on Wikipedia,a site with only slightly more credibility that DS? priceless post :D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you even read Wikipedia's own guidelines on this?

You can have your doucheness back.
    priceless post :D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

seems credible to me

I would say that going by this part of the link, Jai is eligible for a Wiki page

When an individual is significant for his or her role in a single event, it may be unclear whether an article should be written about the individual, the event or both. In considering whether or not to create separate articles, the degree of significance of the event itself and the degree of significance of the individual's role within it should be considered. The general rule in many cases is to cover the event, not the person. However, as both the event and the individual's role grow larger, separate articles become justified.[16]

If the event is highly significant, and the individual's role within it is a large one, a separate article is generally appropriate.

Winner of a popular and well publicised prime time TV show seems to be covered by the last paragraph

What harm would it do to have a page anyway? seems like bitter losers wanting it to be deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    seems credible to me

It's not.
    I would say that going by this part of the link, Jai is eligible for a Wiki page

Winner of a popular and well publicised prime time TV show seems to be covered by the last paragraph

BGT is not highly significant, at all. It's a TV show!

And Jai's role in it was not large. He only appeared for a few minutes over the course of two months.
    What harm would it do to have a page anyway?

WP:ITEXISTS
    seems like bitter losers wanting it to be deleted.

Actually the person who opened the deletion request is a wikipedia Adminstrator of 5 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    It's not.

BGT is not highly significant, at all. It's a TV show!

And Jai's role in it was not large. He only appeared for a few minutes over the course of two months.

BGT is significant enough to have it's own Wiki page ... and likes been said, other winners and contestants have wikii pages

sorry but I can't be bothered to read through all that red tape and bureaucracy so if you'd be kiind enough to post the bits that show what harm Jai having a Wiki page will do
    Actually, if you'd actually bothered to look, the person who opened the deletion request is a wikipedia Adminstrator of 5 years

typical "jobsworth" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BGT is significant enough to have it's own Wiki page ... and likes been said, other winners and contestants have wikii pages

Who have been notable for other things pre/post BGT and are noted for doing something other than being on BGT.

Whether or not being the BGT winner is significant in its own right to merit a page of its own with no further achievements is a question of how notable BGT is and how prestigious the winner would be - and potentially isn't notable enough which is why they are nominating it for deletion (and the notability of it would be a key part of whether or not it is deleted).

Out of all the finalists from what I can see, only 2/3 of them really have anything else you could claim notability other than BGT:
    - that lad in the MJ wannabe group who has show appearances
    - Jean Martyn who has her own website detailing her musical credentials and a career in entertainment
    - James Hobley who was on a BBC documentary a couple of years back about his dancing/autism as well as a contestant on a Sky One show (I think)
    all of whom have something you can visibly reference as well as their achievements on BGT.

Jai may well be the winner, and may well in time be notable enough for his own page but what of significance can be found other than of BGT? That's the key to the 1E policy.

You will probably also note neither Thompson nor Venables have their own pages also, as they are only really notable for the Bulger murder...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Actually the person who opened the deletion request is a wikipedia Adminstrator of 5 years

So what? That doesn't mean they're impartial. It just means they unfortunately have the opportunity to weild their bias.

One admin has been trying for months and now years to find reasons and excuses for deleting the page of an American Idol runner-up "because they didn't win". Despite the fact that that runner-up is now a multi-platinum international seller and Grammy nominee and other award wiinner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BGT is significant enough to have it's own Wiki page ...

Doesn't matter: WP:ITSA
    [and likes been said, other winners and contestants have wikii pages

And like I've posted before: WP:OTHERSTUFF

sorry but I can't be bothered to read through all that red tape and bureaucracy so if you'd be kiind enough to post the bits that show what harm Jai having a Wiki page will do

typical "jobsworth" :D

It's the guidelines from Wikipedia. If you can't be bothered to read them then you can't really complain about an article being deleted.

As always with Wiki, it's about Being Bold
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that Jai is just as eligiible for a page as these two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_and_Connor

seems like they've just signed an independent recording contract recently but haven't released anything .. apart from that all they've done is appear on BGT as a group then split up into a duo .. hardly mindblowing stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? That doesn't mean they're impartial. It just means they unfortunately have the opportunity to weild their bias.

One admin has been trying for months and now years to find reasons and excuses for deleting the page of an American Idol runner-up "because they didn't win". Despite the fact that that runner-up is now a multi-platinum international seller and Grammy nominee and other award wiinner.

The AfD in this case however complies fully with policies. The reasoning is not "bitter", it's per WP:1E
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that Jai is just as eligiible for a page as these two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_and_Connor

seems like they've just signed an independent recording contract recently but haven't released anything .. apart from that all they've done is appear on BGT as a group then split up into a duo .. hardly mindblowing stuff

]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:OTHERSTUFF

Third time now.