Channel rebrands that were actually more like channel reblands

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Here's some of mine

Fox Kids/Jetix to Disney XD - A once unique kids channel that showed a lot of series not aired on Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon/Disney Channels, including anime like Sailor Moon, series such as Digimon & The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers & Dennis The Menace, is now some sort of weaker secondary Disney Channel which offers another chance to see "The Suite Life Of Zack & Cody", this is poor!

Hallmark - Universal - No real change

Reality TV - CBS Reality - Although a good FTA channel some of the most interesting programmes it showed such as Michael Moore's The Awful Truth & Morgan Spurlock's 30 Days are now not aired on the more mainstream channel where you are now more likely to come across an episode of Judge Judy.

UK Arena - UK Drama - Alibi - Now there is no channel that will play classic drama as GOLD no longer does it. ITV3 is the closest, alibi's quite a good concept though. Maybe UKTV need to look into a new classic drama channel again.

Discovery Travel & Adventure - to Travel & Living - replaced more compelling travel documentaries and Lonely Planet with programmes like A Place In The Sun, luckily Lonely Planet now known as Globe Trekker is aired FTA on The Travel Channel.

The Biography Channel - to Bio - less good biographical docs of famous people, historical figures & notorious criminals.

MTV - MTV ONE - MTV

Comments

• Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiver to Five*. One of RTL's better attempts of providing a niche Channel 5 format brand which now sounds like the 80s pop group than competing with E4 and ITV2 for the youth audience under Northern & Shell.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Fiver to Five*. One of RTL's better attempts of providing a niche Channel 5 format brand which now sounds like the 80s pop group than competing with E4 and ITV2 for the youth audience under Northern & Shell.

I thought there was nothing wrong with the Five Life name, 5* is just as cheesy as Fiver.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaunt to Dance Nation : From a channel that once supported the real dance scene under the name Flaunt to a dumbed down renamed/rebranded commercial channel that plays chart music remixed all day every day.

UKTV Gold to G.O.L.D : Such a direful rebrand and the most stupidest acronym , yes i know they did away with that and ditching all of the Classic British TV Shows and replacing it with Pure Comedy shows which are on constant repeat.

Sky Three to PICK TV : Boring name for the channel could have at least kept the 'Sky' branding and call it 'Sky Choice'

FIVER to 5* : Abit a generic name to brand the channel seeing as Desmond owns The Daily Star :rolleyes:
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin 1 - Channel 1 is a classic example
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's some of mine

Fox Kids/Jetix to Disney XD - A once unique kids channel that showed a lot of series not aired on Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon/Disney Channels, including anime like Sailor Moon, series such as Digimon & The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers & Dennis The Menace, is now some sort of weaker secondary Disney Channel which offers another chance to see "The Suite Life Of Zack & Cody", this is poor!

Hallmark - Universal - No real change

Reality TV - CBS Reality - Although a good FTA channel some of the most interesting programmes it showed such as Michael Moore's The Awful Truth & Morgan Spurlock's 30 Days are now not aired on the more mainstream channel where you are now more likely to come across an episode of Judge Judy.

UK Arena - UK Drama - Alibi - Now there is no channel that will play classic drama as GOLD no longer does it. ITV3 is the closest, alibi's quite a good concept though. Maybe UKTV need to look into a new classic drama channel again.

Discovery Travel & Adventure - to Travel & Living - replaced more compelling travel documentaries and Lonely Planet with programmes like A Place In The Sun, luckily Lonely Planet now known as Globe Trekker is aired FTA on The Travel Channel.

The Biography Channel - to Bio - less good biographical docs of famous people, historical figures & notorious criminals.

MTV - MTV ONE - MTV

Have to agree with the FOX KIDS channel, when it changed to Disney XD all of the programmes were axed and some like Spiderman, X Men were shoved to Midnight.

I miss the days of Goosebumps etc.

Disney XD is now the Phineas and Ferb and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody since that's all it seems to show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd just add..

The change of names from Discovery Home & Leisure to Discovery Real Time. Discovery Shed is more like H&L now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought there was nothing wrong with the Five Life name, 5* is just as cheesy as Fiver.

Five Life was too feminine in it's branding, Fiver transformed the channel into a more credible youth lifestyle brand. 5* is just crap and only the Big Brother spin off off gives it any shred of credibility.
    Forum Member
    Channel 1's a good example, but it's a strange one because it's about the only time that a channel has been made deliberately bland, they had to keep it running for several more months because of official contracts etc but they also needed to remove the Virgin brand as it had just been purchased by Sky and they didn't want to make it appealing in any way because it had been earmarked for closure, the result possibly the crown for the dullest channel rebrand in history.

Some of the other channel rebrands haven't intended blandness (in their minds) but have achieved it for some of us watching.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only the Big Brother spin off off gives it any shred of credibility.

Big Brother and credibility in the same seentence? Pah!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Big Brother and credibility in the same seentence? Pah!

Yes it's crap, but it still has better brand values than 98% of the current output on 5*.

ITV2 has The Only Way is Essex, E4 had The Inbetweeners while 5* has nothing bar Big Brother's Bit on the Side where their target audience are getting involved with.
  • BluedabadeeBluedabadee Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's crap, but it still has better brand values than 98% of the current output on 5*.

ITV2 has The Only Way is Essex, E4 had The Inbetweeners while 5* has nothing bar Big Brother's Bit on the Side where their target audience are getting involved with.

Have to agree with this statement. 5* seems to be a confused brand as with ITV2 though.. during the daytime it's got reruns (or it had) of The Wright Stuff (which in itself is bland) and then in the afternoons / evening it's got "youth" content like 8 Simple Rules, Shit My Dad Says etc.

As for ITV2 - that's the same, it's just a marathon of Judge Judy and Emmerdale and Corrie. E4 which is a youth type brand doesn't do this!

Must admit though, I do prefer the Fiver brand - there wasn't anything wrong with that at all. 5* is really poor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with the FOX KIDS channel, when it changed to Disney XD all of the programmes were axed and some like Spiderman, X Men were shoved to Midnight.

Disney XD is now the Phineas and Ferb and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody since that's all it seems to show.

wooooo Fox Kids now thats an oldy. Wern't they called Jetix for like 5 years?:( Boy I miss the old days of Ultimate Spiderman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJ Alborz wrote: »
    wooooo Fox Kids now thats an oldy. Wern't they called Jetix for like 5 years?:( Boy I miss the old days of Ultimate Spiderman

Yup, fox kids was sold to Disney and they rebranded it jetix and eventually Disney XD. I think it's a shame to be honest, they should've replaced cinemagic instead and left jetix alone
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOLD and PICK TV are the obvious two for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Yup, fox kids was sold to Disney and they rebranded it jetix and eventually Disney XD. I think it's a shame to be honest, they should've replaced cinemagic instead and left jetix alone
    Ohhhh. I totally agree :) I don't even know anyone whos ever subscribed to cinemagic (unless they got it for free with the sky movies package)..
    Forum Member
    Ohhhh. I totally agree :) I don't even know anyone whos ever subscribed to cinemagic (unless they got it for free with the sky movies package)..

I did once for £5 extra a month so you can count me.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Any commercial radio station becoming HEART - Blander than a rainy night in Eastbourne playing chess with John Major
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Any commercial radio station becoming HEART - Blander than a rainy night in Eastbourne playing chess with John Major

this is broadcasting not radio ;)

Paramount Comedy > Comedy Central: CC shows way too many adverts, the production values of the channel are shoddy, the DOG is irritating and it LOVES Two and a half Men way too much.

Disney Channel > Disney Channel: when they dropped all of the family content programming and morphed in to the slop that it is today.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Radio was broadcasting last time I checked...
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member

That's right, most Fox Kids and Jetix shows are off air now. MMPR and new episodes of Power Rangers moved to Nickelodeon and Nicktoons. Saban has hired distributor Marvista to find new homes for VR Troopers, Big Bad Beetleborgs, and Ninja Turtles the Next Mutation. Therefore they could all start reruns next year - Turtles is probably destined for Nicktoons as well because Nick owns TMNT (they're making a new CGI series, but that shouldn't stop them airing Next Mutation or the 1987 and 2003 cartoon series too), I can see the other two ending up on Kix, which airs the fifth season of Digimon (season 4 never aired in the UK, but each season is self-contained anyway). There's a sixth season which hasn't been dubbed into English yet. Goosebumps is shown on The Hub in the US these days, but that channel has no UK counterpart - it's a rebranded Discovery Kids, whose UK version closed down a few years ago. Obviously since Disney own Marvel, shows like X-Men and Spider-Man are stuck on Disney XD, which is a shame, as Nick and Cartoon Network are both much more suited to that type of show. Luckily, they're available to watch for free on marvel.com, and they're not region locked.
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Goosebumps is shown on The Hub in the US these days, but that channel has no UK counterpart - it's a rebranded Discovery Kids, whose UK version closed down a few years ago. Obviously since Disney own Marvel, shows like X-Men and Spider-Man are stuck on Disney XD, which is a shame, as Nick and Cartoon Network are both much more suited to that type of show. Luckily, they're available to watch for free on marvel.com, and they're not region locked.

I can see DMAX+2 morphing into Hub UK would be great though if it did.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Paramount Comedy > Comedy Central: CC shows way too many adverts, the production values of the channel are shoddy, the DOG is irritating and it LOVES Two and a half Men way too much.

Disney Channel > Disney Channel: when they dropped all of the family content programming and morphed in to the slop that it is today.

Paramount Channel > Paramount Comedy Channel.

Used to like the way that they showed Paramount drama shows that hadn't been shown or hadn't been shown for a long time in the UK. e.g. Legend, EARTH Force, The Magician, etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Paramount Channel > Paramount Comedy Channel.

Used to like the way that they showed Paramount drama shows that hadn't been shown or hadn't been shown for a long time in the UK. e.g. Legend, EARTH Force, The Magician, etc

Seeing some of the content on TV ARK, I see where you're coming from. The problem I find with Comedy Central at the moment though as I've said before is the favouritism of Two & A Half Men.

This Monday there's about 4 or more episodes in one day? Followed by about 6 episodes of Friends. Not even Paramount Comedy 1 done this, it's good for those who are fans of said programmes but a let down for those who aren't. Fortunately, I can stand Friends - so that's 1 more programme I'll be watching on the channel.

I also can't stand Comedy Central's ad breaks - far too long, then they add a 3 minute promo for Mike & Molly or some other channel promo PLUS they're not widescreen so the false black bars are annoying.

Rant over :D
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also can't stand Comedy Central's ad breaks

Rant over :D

l miss the original Paramount Channel, when it would show various types of programmes.

In the past they've been 5-10 minutes behind schedule by the end of the day/early morning, and they've still show those terrible "Comedy Shorts" ad fillers.

Which l find painful to watch. At least the mute button is there.
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    UK TV Gold to G.O.L.D....Possibly the worst most cringeworthy rebrand ever.

Not only was it a terrible thing to try & make it stand for something (Go On Laugh Daily), but it also finally turned one of the best channels into one the worst, a process started by the previous rebrand to UKTV Gold.

The once mighty UK Gold lost it's way after it lost the Thames library & ditched Top of the Pops & Classic Dr Who.

It's now the TV equivilant of Heart FM...The same thing over & over day after day