Doctor/Companion Dynamic - What Would You Like?

Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
Forum Member
For Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman aka,
the Doctor and Clara

What type of dynamic would you like between them? If I had to pick something akin, I'd say something like Seven/Ace or Ten/Donna.

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good thread :)

this is what I like in companions:

A very relaxed atmosphere in the TARDIS where the companion (just one, and female) wanders around in their underwear and swims naked in the TARDIS pool, whilst the Doctor tends to his lepidotery.

I liked early Amy Pond a lot. A bit of a minx who's not really after the Doctor romantically but would snog him for the Hell of it and to embarass him. But on a deeper level he means a lot to her as the personification of her childhood dreams. That was really nice. To be honest, the character in series 6 lost most of that though. Giving her a husband should really have been at the end of the character's story, not in the middle of it. She kind of became (achingly sexy) dead wood after that.

More generally, I always like when the relationship is kind of cool / mad uncle and his niece. The second Doctor always had that kind of relationship with his companions. The trio of himself, Victoria and Jamie was particularly sweet. Certainly, that's how the relationship should be if they really have to have a male companion: he's the doctor's drinking buddy (without drinking) but the Doctor is also a mentor to him, and ultimately, the boss.

I don't like domineering companions who act like an equal to the Doctor. It always irks me when watching the Peter Davison era episodes and the companions are all working the TARDIS controls and acting like they own the place. The Doctor should always have the strongest strength of character.

Nor do I like them to be overly angsty. That just makes them seem ungrateful to me. And Doctor Who is generally a positive show.

And yes, the girl should always be attractive.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Amy and Rory have had a brilliant run as companions but even I can't wait to see what's in store for the new companion with the Doctor.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor as a grandfather, I'm fed up with him and his companions being in love etc, he's a bloody alien!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also liked the 2/Jaime/Victoria dynamic. I loved 4's relationship with his lot - Sarah Jane, Harry, Leela, Romana1 and Romana 2. You knew he cared about them but he was always in charge.

That's what I'd like to see with 11 and the new companion - I don't want her to be in love with him, or him with her; I don't want them to be best friends or soulmates, I want him to be avuncular with her. Then we can just forget about the relationships aspect and enjoy the adventures!
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Good thread :)

this is what I like in companions:

A very relaxed atmosphere in the TARDIS where the companion (just one, and female) wanders around in their underwear and swims naked in the TARDIS pool, whilst the Doctor tends to his lepidotery.

I liked early Amy Pond a lot. A bit of a minx who's not really after the Doctor romantically but would snog him for the Hell of it and to embarass him. But on a deeper level he means a lot to her as the personification of her childhood dreams. That was really nice. To be honest, the character in series 6 lost most of that though. Giving her a husband should really have been at the end of the character's story, not in the middle of it. She kind of became (achingly sexy) dead wood after that.

More generally, I always like when the relationship is kind of cool / mad uncle and his niece. The second Doctor always had that kind of relationship with his companions. The trio of himself, Victoria and Jamie was particularly sweet. Certainly, that's how the relationship should be if they really have to have a male companion: he's the doctor's drinking buddy (without drinking) but the Doctor is also a mentor to him, and ultimately, the boss.

I don't like domineering companions who act like an equal to the Doctor. It always irks me when watching the Peter Davison era episodes and the companions are all working the TARDIS controls and acting like they own the place. The Doctor should always have the strongest strength of character.

Nor do I like them to be overly angsty. That just makes them seem ungrateful to me. And Doctor Who is generally a positive show.

I agree with everything accept the last point, but hey each to their own.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything as long as they don't want to pork eachother like the previous ones ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Donna as a companion so one similar to her I guess.

I wouldn't mind if they brought her back. As long as she didn't have a husband though. It seems to work with one companion but as soon as it is two, it's too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked Donna as a companion so one similar to her I guess.

I wouldn't mind if they brought her back. As long as she didn't have a husband though. It seems to work with one companion but as soon as it is two, it's too much.

And then she burns up in front of him because of the metacrisis and he blames himself for her death.

Or the Doctor sees she's about to burn up and absorbs the energy so she doesn't, then immediately has horrible side-effects and she blames herself while watching him suffer and writhe on the floor as it slowly messes up his regeneration cycle.

Or they channel it into the TARDIS, it catches fire and gets wrecked and both of them blame themselves. Then K-9 falls in a car crusher.

In other words, I just can't see it ending well. :p
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would quite like something similar to Tom Baker's doctor/Romana2, where the companion is also knowledgeable and can help "properly" so to speak.
    Although I'd like the Doctor to remain the one with the most knowledge, I wouldn't want the companion to start showing off and bossing the Doctor around!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    I would quite like something similar to Tom Baker's doctor/Romana2, where the companion is also knowledgeable and can help "properly" so to speak.
    Although I'd like the Doctor to remain the one with the most knowledge, I wouldn't want the companion to start showing off and bossing the Doctor around!

With what we have been told about her talking faster than The Doctor / unusual pairing / doing a "dance" around him etc etc, she may well be knowledgeable to a degree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    With what we have been told about her talking faster than The Doctor / unusual pairing / doing a "dance" around him etc etc, she may well be knowledgeable to a degree.
    Maybe she IS Romana. I hope so :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she IS Romana. I hope so :o

It's kind of difficult to bring Romana back though, because fans will always be waiting for someone to turn out to be her! So it would be difficult to really surprise people with it.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    For Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman aka,
    the Doctor and Clara

What type of dynamic would you like between them? If I had to pick something akin, I'd say something like Seven/Ace or Ten/Donna.
    What if it wasn't shown how the Doctor and new companion met, it just went straight into a story/action and you only get references as it goes further into the series.
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    What if it wasn't shown how the Doctor and new companion met, it just went straight into a story/action and you only get references as it goes further into the series.

Kind of like Six and Mel then.

About the love thing - only Rose and River really did love him in that way. Martha had a crush on him but she obviously got over it and the likes of Mickey, Amy,Rory, Jack, Sarah Jane, Wilf and Donna only see him as a friend.

Hopefully so will the new girl too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of like Six and Mel then.
    what kind of skills could she have?
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    what kind of skills could she have?

I'm not sure to be honest. Mad dancing skills.

Nutcracker style opening episode perhaps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the human-sized wooden Nutcracker man cracks the Doctor's head with a horrid 'crunch' sound... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

tap dancing with a cane and top hat :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The fact that this is why a lot of people slated Matt Smith as the Doctor for this reason makes me kinda uncomfortable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that this is why a lot of people slated Matt Smith as the Doctor for this reason makes me kinda uncomfortable.
    Who says he's unattractive, I think he's a bit alright myself :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says he's unattractive, I think he's a bit alright myself :o

As a guy, I can't possibly comment:D, but there were several comments from female fans commenting on how he wasn't as 'hot' as David Tennant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Uncomfortable in what way? Are you a monk?

The comparison doesn't hold up anyway, because the Doctor has not traditionaly been cast as a physically attractive man. The criteria for 'Who girls', as they used to be called, was always that they be young and attractive, 'for the dads'. Or, euphemism and tact aside, to add sex appeal to the show. And that is still a neccesary component of the show. I'm quite sure a lot of people watched Doctor Who to see Billie Piper or Karen Gillan, just as they would keep the TV on BBC 1 after Grandstand to see Louise Jameson run around in her Leela outfit back in the seventies.

Of course, there's a much bigger recognized female audience for Sci-Fi nowadays and the more youthful Doctors are probably a reaction to that as much as they are for practical reasons (the physical demands on the actor).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncomfortable in what way? Are you a monk?

The comparison doesn't hold up anyway, because the Doctor has not traditionaly been cast as a physically attractive man. The criteria for 'Who girls', as they used to be called, was always that they be young and attractive, 'for the dads'. Or, euphemism and tact aside, to add sex appeal to the show. And that is still a neccesary component of the show. I'm quite sure a lot of people watched Doctor Who to see Billie Piper or Karen Gillan, just as they would keep the TV on BBC 1 after Grandstand to see Louise Jameson run around in her Leela outfit back in the seventies.

Of course, there's a much bigger recognized female audience for Sci-Fi nowadays and the more youthful Doctors are probably a reaction to that as much as they are for practical reasons (the physical demands on the actor).

Meh, as someone who has always watched the show for...well...the show, I've never been particularly bothered whether the companion is attractive or not. And considering that I'm a teenager, thats quite an an achievement;).
    Forum Member
    As a guy, I can't possibly comment:D, but there were several comments from female fans commenting on how he wasn't as 'hot' as David Tennant.

I ignore comments like that. Looks are great but first and foremost, it's the acting that matters.

New Series wise, all our Doctors and Companions have been played by strong actors and actresses.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fourth Doctor and Ace, or The Fourth Doctor and Donna would be a dynamic team definitely.