The Ratings Thread (Part 42)

Comments

• LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    A bit like broadcasters purchasing The Voice - Britain's Best Bakery has the same basic ingredients but adds a twist to make it slightly different.

I've read far too much TV blurb. :o:o:o

I wonder if they'll be incorporating it into the Britain's Best Dish strand they run. Incidentally, I haven't seen that around for a while after it being aired quite heavily in 2011, have ITV axed it?
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Thank you. That is a good rating for Channel4.
  • sd99sd99 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    How did Red Dwarf X fare on Dave?
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I looked on Digital Spy Ratings Roundup for ratings, none since Sunday :(. Why are Soap Ratings posted but not the tv ratings?
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I looked on Digital Spy Ratings Roundup for ratings, none since Sunday :(. Why are Soap Ratings posted but not the tv ratings?

Because DS is badly run?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's being reported that the editor of Daybreak, David Kermode, is standing down next month as the recent relaunch has failed to improve on ratings. It has been averaging 700,000 against the BBC's 1.5 million. One wonders how long ITV will keep on trying.......
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Hatfields did well IMO. Realistically it was never going to do much better than that for a two hour premiere. A share of 6% across two hours is very good and above average.

Broadcast putting a negative spin on it is predictable but the slot average was massively inflated by those Man United games earlier in the year so that comparison isn't particularly credible.

As for it shedding viewers during, this nearly always happens with the first episode of a drama. And with it being so long many may have recorded the latter half to watch another time.

Overall then very happy with those numbers and I reckon C5 will be too considering they didn't go to town on it marketing wise as they normally do, suggesting lower expectations. It will probably settle close to the million mark, hopefully the right side of it.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    It's being reported that the editor of Daybreak, David Kermode, is standing down next month as the recent relaunch has failed to improve on ratings. It has been averaging 700,000 against the BBC's 1.5 million. One wonders how long ITV will keep on trying.......

How sad. The poor bloke never had a chance tasked with mission impossible and given just a couple of months to get a positive result.

At least Kermode will find work easily elsewhere. Nobody is going to judge him for not meeting ITV's unrealistic demands. Daybreak meanwhile has just about ran out of chances as far as viewers are concerned.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daybreak continues to fail then, ITV must be tearing its hair out, not knowing what to do.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Daybreak continues to fail then, ITV must be tearing its hair out, not knowing what to do.

Change the name?

How about "TV-am"? That sounds suitably "fresh", to use the mot du jour.... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Change the name?

How about "TV-am"? That sounds suitably "fresh", to use the mot du jour.... ;)
    I was surprised that ITV kept the Daybreak name around for this latest revamp, when there was nothing else from the firs Daybreak showing left.

No question the show will need a new name, but im not sure how much more they can fiddle the format.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    According to the Dail Mail (spit) BBC2 has won its battle with BBC1 to keep The Great British Bake Off

First time I've wanted to believe the Daily Mail.

Is 200k good for Scandal, don't usually pay much attention to More4's ratings, seems a bit low considering I've seen it advertise quite a bit. I suppose it was never going to do that well, which is why More4 seems like a good fit for it, it's a shame though as it's a decent series, something that wouldn't seem out of place on the main channels if made and set in the UK.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member

Making a half decent show would be the remedy, I suppose. But ITV don't know how to do that - they just make a wish for Syco to ride to the rescue occasionally and when they do, that'll be when ITV take all the credit :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's far too unstable at the minute, they should just leave it alone. If viewers aren't interested after however long and however many revamps then maybe they should look at trying to retain the viewers they have got. Daybreak is only an issue because of the money they put into it in the first place, money which has long gone and it has been 2 years since. GMTV would be at more or less the same level if it was still on air, so just let them get on with it instead of trying to chase new viewers. Give viewers a chance to find Daybreak.

If they must make more changes, then just drop Lorraine & Aled in favour of the two presenters who do the bit before 7am (their names have escaped me). They are far superior and much more professional anyway.
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Locked In the boardroom for crisis talks I suspect. ;)

John York left his post yesterday about time too whether that solves the shows growing problems only time will tell.

Jumped ship or pushed?

Whoever takes over will not accept the current mess that EE is in, ratings down/erratic and scandal surrounding the cast previous and present.

I do believe Newman should not rest easy because the new boss may decide she is not the person to halt the decline of the show. Not saw the ratings for today yet but if the pattern matches previous weeks then it will be down on Tuesdays ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    It's far too unstable at the minute, they should just leave it alone. If viewers aren't interested after however long and however many revamps then maybe they should look at trying to retain the viewers they have got. Daybreak is only an issue because of the money they put into it in the first place, money which has long gone and it has been 2 years since. GMTV would be at more or less the same level if it was still on air, so just let them get on with it instead of trying to chase new viewers. Give viewers a chance to find Daybreak.

If they must make more changes, then just drop Lorraine & Aled in favour of the two presenters who do the bit before 7am (their names have escaped me). They are far superior and much more professional anyway.

agreed that for all the money spent on Daybreak its not doing any better than GMTV used to, and no better than it is would be doing now.

The other two cant be all that good, if you dont recall there names.

I fear its not a case of show name, or present, its a case of people being turned off of ITV between 6am & 9:25am.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ouch at the Hunted ratings. The creator, Frank Spotnitz, recently did an interview where he said he has plans for a five year story arc, but at this level there must be a real question-mark over whether Hunted will get a second season, let alone a fifth.

A lot will depend on how it does on Starz in the States, but if a Brit likes me finds the show achingly slow what are the chances that an American audience expecting fast paced shows will like it?

I think it suffers from the same problem which Torchwood: Miracle Day did - another recent US/UK collaboration for Starz and the BBC - ie too little plot stretched over too many episodes, and a group of writers used to writing 43 minute stories suddenly asked to produce 58 minute instalments and seemingly only able to do so by inserting 15 minutes of padding...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @Charnam

I'm guessing not :p

Emmers - 6354 + 401
    EE - 6996
    Emmers - 5702 + 401
    Emmers @ 40 - 2875 + 188

Waterloo Road - 3297
    Hunted 3220
    Homefront - 2035 + 138

Scandal - 204k

EastEnders under seven million for the BBC One showing, pretty poor and the Hunted rating is poor also, good concept but very badly executed and acted, it will not return.

I wonder how the EE super fans will excuse the latest ratings for EE,
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decent figure for Town with Tourettes on C4....

Time to replace Daybreak with News hours and an extended Lorraine.....send Aled back to Songs of Praise or the valleys.....:D
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders under seven million for the BBC One showing, pretty poor and the Hunted rating is poor also, good concept but very badly executed and acted, it will not return.

Emmerdale losing its sparkle slowly, pretty soon all the first showings will be 6m or less, it just doesn't pull in those extra viewers.

As for EE all we can hope that the BBC3 figures remain strong and episodes timeshift well + iPlayer of course.....I work 4-8 shifts now, so I have to record or iPlayer any Soaps I wish to watch.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A good excuse would be that it actually got 7.4m! :)

Comfortably ahead of both Ems too.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Ouch at the Hunted ratings. The creator, Frank Spotnitz, recently did an interview where he said he has plans for a five year story arc, but at this level there must be a real question-mark over whether Hunted will get a second season, let alone a fifth.

A lot will depend on how it does on Starz in the States, but if a Brit likes me finds the show achingly slow what are the chances that an American audience expecting fast paced shows will like it?

It's a Cinemax co-production, it started last Friday. It debuted with 250k viewers. Strike Back season two started with 390k and has been picked up for a third.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/10/ratings-hunted-premieres-to-0-25-million-viewers-on-cinemax/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good excuse would be that it actually got 7.4m! :)

Comfortably ahead of both Ems too.

Not for the BBC One showing.

Actually I don't include BBC Three ratings therefore it is under seven million, if BBC One had a plus one channel then it would be acceptable to include the plus ratings but the repeat is on Three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed that for all the money spent on Daybreak its not doing any better than GMTV used to, and no better than it is would be doing now.

The other two cant be all that good, if you dont recall there names.

I fear its not a case of show name, or present, its a case of people being turned off of ITV between 6am & 9:25am.

I don't watch Daybreak that much, and when I do it isn't usually before 7am! There are many people in the field of news who do a good job yet I don't know their names. There is no link whatsoever. But from what I have seen they are very good and would be able to take Daybreak forward which is what it so desperately needs, if ITV choose to go down that route.

The problem is much more simple. The BBC are better at news than ITV, so when both channels offer a similar programme, they naturally go to the BBC. If ITV want a look in at breakfast then they need to find an innovative format.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Not for the BBC One showing.

Actually I don't include BBC Three ratings therefore it is under seven million, if BBC One had a plus one channel then it would be acceptable to include the plus ratings but the repeat is on Three.
    Actually if you look rather then just claiming you will see the BBC1 showing had 7.4m and BBC3 had 500k see DS round up
This discussion has been closed.