Is it a struggle to get used to contact lenses?

spm2013spm2013 Posts: 215
Forum Member
I got glasses for the first time in my life last year and now rely on them to see everything but I hate how I look with them and was going to ask about contacts on my next eye check up.

Is it hard to get used to them? I dont like the thought of touching my eye but I would try.

Comments

• kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends switched to contact lenses a good while ago and says they're really easy to use once you get used to them and now can't picture herself not using them :) I never took to them unfortunately and still wear glasses (I like glasses though ;))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really doesn't take very long at all. For me, the hardest bit was getting them in and out at first (took me about 10 mins to get them in and out when I first started. Takes less than 10 seconds now!) - once they were in, I couldn't even really feel them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    As long as you get ones that fit you properly, it's not really a struggle at all. Like someone else said, the worst part at the beginning is getting them in and out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took me ages at first, and hated putting them in and taking them out. You very quickly get used to it, though, and they are marvellous - much better than glasses. Go for a free 5-day trial
  • spm2013spm2013 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Thanx for the advice much appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes some practice, but they are easy enough to do in a short time. And to note, you don't actually touch your eye! Contacts are hydrophilic, and when you get them close to the eyeball, it sticks. You slide them off gently, so you really won't be touching anything more than the contact itself!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you think of how many thousands of people use them, it makes sense that it's not too hard for most people to get used to them

As everyone else has said, they take a bit of getting used to. But they're definitely easy peasy once you are used to them.

The optician will make you practise putting them in and taking them out and they're trained to teach people how to do just that, so once they're happy you've got the hang of it and you're happy you've got the hang of it, you'll be fine.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I get the bit about them sticking to your eye so you dont have to poke it putting them in, but surely you feel the lense touching your eye? And to get them out do they stick to your finger? Im sure someone told me you have to pinch them to pull them out.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also make sure the optician prescribes the type of lenses most suitable for you and not the ones that are most profitable for them ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be difficult the first time you try them, but you get used to them very quickly. You just need to get over the initial sensation of something being put on your eye - and your optician will make sure you do.
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I get the bit about them sticking to your eye so you dont have to poke it putting them in, but surely you feel the lense touching your eye? And to get them out do they stick to your finger? Im sure someone told me you have to pinch them to pull them out.
    Some people do pinch them to get them out, but I simply slide them off. Initially it'll feel wierd and you will probably be aware of them, but you get used to it really quickly. I've had them for about 8 years now, and when I wear my glasses I'm really aware of the frames.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many years ago I actually started a thread on here asking how to get a contact lens out of your eye...I had just got contacts and got one stuck in my eye for hours! Anyway...I'd recommend them definitely...they're so good. Saying that though, I do find them a nuiscance too and plan to get laser eye surgery in the next few years.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been wearing them since I was 17, I'm now forty-*cough*!

They are so much better these days, I started with hard lenses way back when!

Daily disposables are the best!

The feeling of sticking your finger in your eye is weird and it will make your nose and eyes run to start with but once they're in they're in!

Its seriously easy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 11, I'm now 19. This summer I decided I'd maybe have a go with contacts, and they give me so much more confidence. I wear them on nights out, and wear my glasses for uni.
    Specsavers do a great free trial and a lovely lady there taught me how to do it. She was very patient and kind, and really helped. The first time you put them in, it takes forever, because stickign something in your eye fights every natural impulse. But once they're in they're okay, and you can build up to wearing them for longer periods of time.
    I balance them both. And yes, my eyes water when I put them in and haven't worn them for a while, but it doesn't hurt any more. And I don't poke my eyes any more :p

In short, no it's not a struggle :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    bhappyluv wrote: »
    Some people do pinch them to get them out, but I simply slide them off. Initially it'll feel wierd and you will probably be aware of them, but you get used to it really quickly. I've had them for about 8 years now, and when I wear my glasses I'm really aware of the frames.

yeah I slide mine out, couldn't get the hang of pinching :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah I slide mine out, couldn't get the hang of pinching :)

I slide too after trying to pinch at a contact lense that wasn't there! :D
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been wearing them for nearly 17 years and at first it took me ages to get used to putting them in. The optician showed me what to do then I had to put them in and I just couldn't do it. I remember asking her if everyone took that long to put them in the first time and she replied "not quite this long, no!" :o:D

I did get used to them eventually, though in the beginning there were a few times when I had to put them in at work because it would take me so long that I just wouldn't have time to do it before leaving the house. I wouldn't be without them now, and these days it takes all of 10 seconds to put each one in. :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started using contacts back in the 80's when the most advances ones where hard gas permeable with a wear time of around 8 hours. For various reasons (mainly cost) I stopped using them for a few years. When I started again I tried various soft lens and just never got used to them so eventually after 2 months or so of trying I gave up. And I know my mate also never got on with contact lens even after trying different types for several months.

So basically don't feel bad if you don't get on with them, not everyone does.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a nightmare getting them into my eyes. I tried for about half an hour and my eyes were bright red and streaming. It doesn't help that my hands are very shaky though.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'm o daily disposables and have been for almost 20 years. I hate wearing glasses in rain or when doing activities. They are even OK when swimming or scuba diving. Puttng them in takes about 305 seconds per eye but sometimes it does't seat right and can take a couple of minutes to get it perfect, but hat's less than once every couple of months. Taking them out takes less than a second by pinching. Worst is when you forget to take them out and put another pair on top and you can't work out why your vision is blurry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear contacts and I couldnt live without them now, I choose them because it was safer than wearing glasses at work, I went to specsavers and they did a months free trial for you, they measure you up and give you a pair and a set which includes the contact lens case and solution to use for a month, the optician tried to put it in my eye himself but I got such a quick reaction I wouldnt let him do it so they let me do it myself and it took me a few tried but it happened and they then test your eyes and make sure its all ok and they then ask you to take it out again so you know what you're doing. believe me I think nothing of it now, its so easy to do, you do get used to putting them in and taking them out, you can slide it against your eye to get it out of pinch it, it sounds horrible but I pinch and it literally takes a tiny bit of pressure to remove them, try specsavers free trial if they still do it, if you still like them you can go with them and have the contacts delievered to your door or you can do what I done and done a few months with specsavers and then search online for alternatives, I personally hate wearing glasses I hate the thought of having something on my face like that but contacts you put them in and you dont even realise they're there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started wearing them a few months ago and would definately recommend them. Putting them in is easy - you literally hold your eye open with one hand and drop the lens in with the other and it places itself. The most annoying thing I find is how easily they seem to rip - mine often end up torn before the month is up but I have an offer where I can get unlimited replacements anyway.
  • Mad HatterMad Hatter Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been wearing contact lenses for 12 years and I much prefer them to glasses. I did need particularly good light at first so I could see what I was doing but these days I can take them out on an aeroplane without a mirror.

They are so comfortable that I have jumped into bed and then realised I still had my lenses in and had to get up and go and take them out - I wear monthly lenses.

When putting my lenses in I balance one on the end of my fingertip and hold my eye open and it just goes straight in. When taking them out, I slide the lens down and slightly pinch it and it is in my fingers.

I put my lenses in contact lens solution overnight and always rinse them in saline solution in the morning.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never get on with lenses. At first they were too small for my eyes so tried bigger ones but could feel them the whole time they were in. Made my eyes really dry so constantly had to put drops in. Never got the hang of taking them out and struggled once when I was abroad trying to take them out and made my eye go bloodshot from poking at it. All in all not a great experience for me personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I went to specsavers and they were pretty good! They'll be really reassuring etc. I've been wearing mine since I was about 14/15 and I'm now 21 (wow, I didn't realize how long it was!) and I definitely prefer them. I have a very strong prescription so they're more practical for me too.