Cyprus Savings Levy - could it happen here?

Comments

• xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viva la revolution

our money system is corrupt.

the way i see it is the IMF are using Cyprus as a Test to see how the people will handle it before doing it to other countries.

IMF should be banned they do nothing but cause problem while pretending to help people
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmodz10 wrote: »
    viva la revolution

Salute the Kremlin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmodz10 wrote: »
    the way i see it is the IMF are using Cyprus as a Test

Cyprus is a special case.

I'll certainly hang my basket on that opinion.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only a matter of time before it happens here. :p
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Well "Cyprus can amend terms to a bailout deal that has sparked huge public anger" German and European bank officials say. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21832187

It's up to Cyprus how they raise the €10bn. No European dictat on stealing from private depositors, plenty of Cypriot spin.

Our lot wouldn't dare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "He said it was the Cypriot government, the European Commission and the European Central Bank that had decided on the levy terms and that "they now must explain this to the Cypriot people".

So what are they up to?
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Bank holiday in Cyprus till Thursday on the TV news just now.

Looks like a bank run coming there.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Surely it can't be legal for the banks to hold people's monies hostage by staying closed out of fear. What if people have bills that need paying, food that needs buying or other living expenses?
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    Surely it can't be legal for the banks to hold people's monies hostage by staying closed out of fear. What if people have bills that need paying, food that needs buying or other living expenses?

Crazy isn't it?
    I suppose in the short term bills go unpaid and food gets begged from friends and relatives.
    It cant go on for long or every public building would be alight.:eek:
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nothing more then out and out robbery of people's savings.
    It seems those fools running Europe from Brussels were unable to see the panic amongst people's in other European countries, especially places like Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece etc this stupid order would create. I certainly would withdraw my money if I was in any of those places.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    It's nothing more then out and out robbery of people's savings.
    It seems those fools running Europe from Brussels were unable to see the panic amongst people's in other European countries, especially places like Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece etc this stupid order would create. I certainly would withdraw my money if I was in any of those places.

Withdrawal would simply be the first step to true anarchy. Cyprus must pay, and that means the people in Cyprus must pay. Through cuts or taxation.

Withdrawing your money won't count for much when crime goes through the roof and the value of any assets you have over there falls through the floor. Unless of course you move, and likely lose more than 10% of the value of anything you have in the process as prices hit the floor as everyone has the same "clever" idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    It's up to Cyprus how they raise the €10bn. No European dictat on stealing from private depositors, plenty of Cypriot spin.Our lot wouldn't dare.

Depends on how much Russian money we have?
    Maybe they just stick to football clubs here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sirius wrote: »
    Withdrawal would simply be the first step to true anarchy. Cyprus must pay, and that means the people in Cyprus must pay. Through cuts or taxation.

Withdrawing your money won't count for much when crime goes through the roof and the value of any assets you have over there falls through the floor. Unless of course you move, and likely lose more than 10% of the value of anything you have in the process as prices hit the floor as everyone has the same "clever" idea.

Very funny . I believe the banking system means you have the right to withdraw your money whenever you choose . The greedy banks screwed the world and now we all have to suffer . They still think they can screw people by robbing their savings.
    Well they've just created the biggest panic wave ever . You just watch it get worse and spread through every country in the world.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Very funny . I believe the banking system means you have the right to withdraw your money whenever you choose . The greedy banks screwed the world and now we all have to suffer . They still think they can screw people by robbing their savings.
    Well they've just created the biggest panic wave ever . You just watch it get worse and spread through every country in the world.

It's not funny, it's the logical follow on from everyone with money leaving Cyprus, or intending to leave Cyprus, with their savings intact.

The banking system gives you the right to attempt to withdraw your money, but if your bank has pissed it up against the wall it's up to Governments to guarantee it (and in the case of Cyprus, they don't have any either).

The panic wave you describe could be quite entertaining as everyone withdraws their money and it ends up worthless anyway because they didn't trust anyone to manage the situation and/or they were too selfish to realise "we are all in this together".
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    theyll impose capital controls next

otherwise billions will leave the country and the banks will collapse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not funny, it's the logical follow on from everyone with money leaving Cyprus, or intending to leave Cyprus, with their savings intact.

The banking system gives you the right to attempt to withdraw your money, but if your bank has pissed it up against the wall it's up to Governments to guarantee it (and in the case of Cyprus, they don't have any either).

The panic wave you describe could be quite entertaining as everyone withdraws their money and it ends up worthless anyway because they didn't trust anyone to manage the situation and/or they were too selfish to realise "we are all in this together".

Not just me saying the obvious

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/news/world/article/cyprus-bank-levy-fears-spread-out/81959/
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Cypriot bank account. :eek: Luckily it only has what I transfer to it, and that is not a lot right now.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    It's not funny, it's the logical follow on from everyone with money leaving Cyprus, or intending to leave Cyprus, with their savings intact. .

Given the main appeal of Cypriot banks was their, er, "relaxed" approach to money laundering, I wonder quite where the Russian money will be going.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm worried it could happen here in Ireland. Maybe I should think about withdrawing all my money from the bank and keeping it in a biscuit tin under the mattress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21831943
    ", suggested that the main beneficiaries from a eurozone bailout of Cyprus would be Russian oligarchs, businessmen and mafiosi.

So conservative Moodys thinks up to half the money is Russian so 50% of the bailout is for them. Maybe more?
    Yet obviously Cypriot politicians who tried to levy everyone are far more in fear of Russians than their own people.

Also, all the rich Cypriots helped enhance caused the collapse by moving their money out.
    ""I don't know a single millionaire who has kept their money in Cyprus. "
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very unlikely to happen here because cyprus is a tax haven.. And is now suffering from it. and this is what all tax haven could end up ! And there is a list ie isle of man channel isles, and they are in the uk
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    No chance it happening here.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the bank today to find out about savings accounts.

The best they could offer is to keep my money tied up for 3 years and I would get interest of..................2.1%!!!!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    I went to the bank today to find out about savings accounts.

The best they could offer is to keep my money tied up for 3 years and I would get interest of..................2.1%!!!!! :eek:

Which is better than -10% :D
    Forum Member
    If those Cypriots want a better deal then deposit it with me and they'll only lose 5%.