Why don't more people like classical music?

Comments

• gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Lang Lang anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srvJTSCIacY

He many not be everyone's cup of tea but the fact he's gotten so many kids to pick up the piano is a great thing for the genre, bringing some 'cred' to it if you were instead of your generic regal looking composer (which in turn open the doors for kids to become interested in the greats)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    The conductor Andre de Ridder works equally readily with people like Damon Albarn and the London Sinfonietta. I read in an interview with him that he goes to a lot of rock and pop gigs, and is inspired by lots of modern music.

Olafur Arnalds, who provided some of the soundtrack for Broadchurch, works in a modern classical way, but with more popular structures. He is quite inspired by electronic music and post-rock, but his music is quite accessible.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I can understand some people being put off by classical music because of the obsessive nature of (some) of the fans. For example the annoyance at those who choose to clap at the end of a movement. If I went to see Beethoven's 9th in concert and people did that it would drive me mad!

I'm 30 and I notice a few other people of about the same age. Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma from Italia '90 must have had some effect. It's strange, I remember as a group of 8 year old kids us all listening to it in school and liking it. That was about as far as the interest went though.

Films are an obvious introduction and it's surprising where you find classical music. Mozart's Marriage Of Figaro in Trading Places, Beethoven's 9th in Die Hard and loads of other films, Wagner's Ride Of The Valkyrie's in Apocalypse Now and several Bond movies - Saint Saens, Chopin, Mozart and Bach all feature in The Spy Who Loved Me.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course there is a more obvious reason why more people don't listen to classical music.

ELO - Roll Over Beethoven
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I can understand some people being put off by classical music because of the obsessive nature of (some) of the fans. For example the annoyance at those who choose to clap at the end of a movement. If I went to see Beethoven's 9th in concert and people did that it would drive me mad!

I'm 30 and I notice a few other people of about the same age. Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma from Italia '90 must have had some effect. It's strange, I remember as a group of 8 year old kids us all listening to it in school and liking it. That was about as far as the interest went though.

Films are an obvious introduction and it's surprising where you find classical music. Mozart's Marriage Of Figaro in Trading Places, Beethoven's 9th in Die Hard and loads of other films, Wagner's Ride Of The Valkyrie's in Apocalypse Now and several Bond movies - Saint Saens, Chopin, Mozart and Bach all feature in The Spy Who Loved Me.

Really? Never heard of that in Germany. They even wait for one minute in silence when some of the great Symphonies of Mahler and Bruckner ends.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I'm in my 50s and at my school classical music was something we had to listen to - like it or not - and for good measure write essays about it too:(

I must have heard this record over 100 times at school but it has a charm of it's own now and I quite like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vkpqHECZtE
    Nymphs and Shepherds - 1929 recording by the Manchester Children's Choir with the Halle Orchestra

Oddly enough I can enjoy mainstream classical music now, although I had to re-discover it for myself and I never came to like the "atonal" music of composers such as Bartok and Stockhausen, it probably is saying something but unfortunately not to me.

One headmaster always played this before school assembly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNc5z2nu4MQ
    Grieg - Holberg Suite, Op. 40
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's that helpful to lump all classical music in together. As Mike says above, the music of, say, Mozart, is completely different to someone from the 20th century like Stockhausen. Beethoven is completely different again in feel.

I always think that "modern" classical music (most of it isn't that modern any more, tbh) has more in common with various kinds of electronic music than with Romantic music like Beethoven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I'm 17 and love Beethoven, and I am aiming to listen to more Bach and Mozart. But rock is my biggest love, of course. I like classical because it is very relaxing and wonderful to listen to, and when one realises the talent of both the composers and the musicians, one will appreciate classical music more.

I am currently working my way through all of Beethoven's symphonies :D
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I don't think it's that helpful to lump all classical music in together. As Mike says above, the music of, say, Mozart, is completely different to someone from the 20th century like Stockhausen. Beethoven is completely different again in feel.

I always think that "modern" classical music (most of it isn't that modern any more, tbh) has more in common with various kinds of electronic music than with Romantic music like Beethoven.

That's very true. It's like using the term pop music to cover all the various genres of Rock, Soul, RnB, Disco, Punk, Hip Hop, Trance, Reggae, Ambient, Electronica.....

Even in 'modern' classical music there is a huge diversity between modern impressionists like Debussy and Ravel, expressionists like Bartok, Stravinsky, Boulez; minimalists like Glass, Reich, Adams and pop/jazz classicists like Leonard Bernstein and Karl Jenkins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I've always liked classical music but in small doses. I don't think I would ever want to go to a classical concert as I'd frankly be bored even though I can appreciate the music and the skill it takes to compose and play.

My favourite classical piece is Hall of the Mountain King. It's seriously awesome.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's loads of clasical music about in adverts, soundtracks, sports events etc it's just people dunno what it is they're hearing. British Airweays had that Denibes tune (Laksmi or something?) in their ads for a few years and I'd guess most people would have found it pleasant and "whistleable" - can't see anyone would've gone "aaarggh- TURN IT OFF!!!. But, I'd suspect 99% of listeners had no idea what the song was. I often wonder how many big and lairy footy fans realise they're listening to Handel's Zadoc the Priest at the start of every single Champiosn League match.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two words - "Ludovico" and "Einaudi". His music is somethimes spellbinding

Try these 2 - the first track I want played at my funeral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naiu-of7J80
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwk8KOfw7d0
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    Two words - "Ludovico" and "Einaudi". His music is somethimes spellbinding
    He's nothing to do with classical music. He's a minimalist pop pianist, lacking any imagination, whose tunes you could play with one finger or one hand, He just copied Michael Nyman's The Piano, and just about every piece played sounds the same, and played the same way A complete musical con artist.
  • marcusgvmarcusgv Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    He's nothing to do with classical music. He's a minimalist pop pianist, lacking any imagination, whose tunes you could play with one finger or one hand, He just copied Michael Nyman's The Piano, and just about every piece played sounds the same, and played the same way A complete musical con artist.

Einaudi does seem to divide opinion.

This is not the first time I have heard this kind of criticism. For the record, although you don't have to be an advanced pianist to play much of his work, you can't play Einaudi's music on one finger of one hand. And there are many quite simple pieces in the classical canon any way.

I don't see that being a pop classicist is such a negative, you could probably throw that at Karl Jenkins, Ennio Morricone or Vangelis but they produce pretty marvellous, listenable music.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm probably quite usual in that i grew up listening to guitar pop music from the 60s and 70s and had very little contact with classical music.

My parents had an EP of Scheherezade (Rimsky-Korsakov) and I might have known the odd tune off the adverts. We did 'Music' at school but I don't remember what it consisted off

So when I got bored with pop music in the 80s and decided to 'take up' classical I did it very much from a point of knowing practically nothing

My intial problem in my ignorance was that the instruments sounded strange as I was used to guitar and drums..........and I found it difficult to 'pick out' tunes. It just seemed like a cacophony of a hundred instruments all playing different things

The turning point was Beethoven's Piano Concerto number 1.........I just listened, listened, listened........and eventually i became familiar with it, could pick out the tunes and the variations around the tunes, Once I'd got the hang of listening, other pieces became easier to get to grips with

I started off with one of those 'Great Composers' part works, a magazine and cassette every week.............that was quite handy because it covered the whole range and included things that I would never have considered if left to my own devices

I recorded things off Radio 3...........I looked in books to find things like 'How many symphonies did Beethoven write, how many piano concertos, how many violin concertos ' then I set about collecting them all, either recording off the radio or buying cheap CDs to complete the sets...........I accumulated at a fairly quick rate but I always focussed on one composer at a time, so I'd get all Beethoven's orchestral works, then move on Brahms, then Mahler and so on

I probably carried that on for about 15 years..........and after that time i could reasonably 'guess the composer' from hearing a few notes of a piece I'd never heard...........you know 'sounds like Debussy' kind of thing

I'd branched out into opera but gave up pretty quickly on that. I'd had a crack at Chamber music but that didn't really appeal to me.

I'd done Baroque, Classical, Romantic............I never really got to grips with the 20th Century though.............:p

That was my journey into classical music..............my advice if anyone is interested is to get an an accessible piece, a Beethoven symphony or concerto and just listen to it lots of times.........try and whistle it !............once you pick up the structure and ambience of one piece others will be a lot easier

Just to complete the story............I went back to pop music in the mid 90s for about 5 years then decided to try out the boring old rubbish that my parents liked..........Sinatra, Ella, ..........and that's where I'm stuck at the moment. Though thanks to Youtube I'm now listening to pop again, Gangnam Style !.............:p
    Forum Member
    The Rover wrote: »
    I'm 17 and love Beethoven, and I am aiming to listen to more Bach and Mozart. But rock is my biggest love, of course. I like classical because it is very relaxing and wonderful to listen to, and when one realises the talent of both the composers and the musicians, one will appreciate classical music more.

I am currently working my way through all of Beethoven's symphonies :D

If you enjoy Beethoven, you may well find Bach in particular a little tame, although do try some of his work out.

If you enjoy big, dramatic Romantic symphonies, then the Russian composers (eg Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgksy, Tchaikovsky) or Wagner might also appeal.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

This is quite possibly the most ludicrous post I have ever read on DS.

Einaudi is a classical piano player who creates such amazing and tuneful pieces that are beyond amazing.
    To say you can play his tunes on one finger is beyond ridiculous and you must be tone deaf
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't read much about him on the internet, have you? I think I'm being kind. Einaudi creates pieces...beyond amazing??? Hm! Really? :D

Just 2 apt, alternative adjectives to describe this sort of thinking... Clueless or delusional!

One honest review that sums it all up, and a harsher one here. And, no. I didn't write them.
    Forum Member
    If you like minimal modern piano with an emphasis on improvisation, Nils Frahm is your man. Olafur Arnalds also, although his arrangements are a little more fleshed-out.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

You also get a lot of modern composers, choirs and orchestras working on pieces for computer games and TV. Some of them are very good.

I had a friend at work who was going on about how lovely a piece a choir music was in one of his games. I listened to it and pointed out a couple of classical pieces that were similar. He didn't even realise choirs were used in classical music. Granted, he was a bit of a philistine at the best of times, but even so!

My first exposure to classical music, that I remember anyway, was the docking music in the game Elite on the Commodore 64. It was the Blue Danube. Also used in the film 2001, which is one of my favourites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    It doesn't appeal to me as it seems very uptight and formal. Not really the kind of music I can get down to. I do like a few classical pieces such as Vivaldi's Four Seasons. My primary class teacher used to play it on the tape recorder to calm the kids down in the morning before doing the register. So it's quite nostalgic for me
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's just because it's multiple recordings of the same old pieces played over and over again. What's the point?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One reason I would put forward is that today it seems people (some) do not have music on to listen to but as a background sound. The music starts and then they only hear it in part due to other things taking over their concentration. Classical music has to be listend to without distraction. A whole raft of songs listened in part can drift by in the time that one element of a classical piece has almost ended. It amazes me how often I hear it said "I like this one" and after twenty seconds start talking over it and don't notice when it has finnished. I listen to my music classical or otherwise so I enjoy it more.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to rock and classical but prefer fairly modern classical from the late 19th and early 20th century. Holst's The Planet Suite is my all time favourite and represents my taste in classical - big, bold and thunderous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I noticed a lot smug from a lot of people. I know some People consider Mozart's music to be really simple and they say its very childish for some weird reason. A lot of fans of classical music seem to say that anything that doesn't have the complexities is not deemed to be tagged under classical music. Then I ask why is Mozart being tagged under Classical? With the smug people's definition Mozart should not be tagged under classical.

Oh by the way Zadok the Priest - CHOONAGE!