Options

EU to axe Roaming charges by July 2014

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
EU roaming charges could be gone in just over a years time. Im sure the mobile companies will be enraged :D
Proposals to do away with roaming charges will cause the telecoms market to 'grow and succeed', the European Commissioner's digital chief has said.

Neelie Kroes was speaking today after a vote was passed last week to do away with roaming charges by July 2014. The charges are a lucrative source of income to telecoms companies and their eradication is likely to anger mobile CEOs. The EC argued that by doing away with the charges, consumers will use their mobiles more while overseas.

Arguing for a single telecoms market in a speech today, Kroes said: 'I want to develop quick solutions that build on what we've already achieved, but the end goal must be clear. I know many of us dream of a true, integrated single market. And in such a market, there is no roaming.'

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25657/Axing_roaming_charges_will_benefit_mobile_industry__argues_EC.aspx

Comments

• Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EU roaming charges could be gone in just over a years time. Im sure the mobile companies will be enraged :D

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25657/Axing_roaming_charges_will_benefit_mobile_industry__argues_EC.aspx

Interesting only good thing i heard out of the EU in years.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    could we see higher out of bundle costs, and bundled minutes/texts/data only available on your home network, if on another network ie roaming then you pay the standard out of bundle prices.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    could we see higher out of bundle costs, and bundled minutes/texts/data only available on your home network, if on another network ie roaming then you pay the standard out of bundle prices.

I would expect that sort of thing to happen.
  • Options
    ZiQiZiQi Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Maybe not, I've been using a couple of roaming SIMs for years, so no charge for incoming calls, though not long ago added Toggle Mobile and their calls are 3p/min and texts 3p/text.

If prices went up, others would gain from people moving.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »

That doesn't make sense.

The "normal" out of bundle call rates outside of your allowance tends to be 35p-40p/min.

Currently, the maximum regulated rate for EU roamers is 28.9p/min, which is due to fall again in 2 weeks time.

So, by your logic, prices will go up on 1st July 2014?

The rule will be "The mobile experience in the EU will be the same as your home country, including bundle allowances"...

... which does away with the tedium (and technical complexity) of the "Choose your operator" option when in a different country.