What females have sold music without have to strip?

TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
Forum Member
✭✭
So Miley's been the topic of sexualisation in music this year. People believe that record labels are sexing out artists to sell records. Will female's music only sell if they're half naked?

Are there artists out there who can prove you dont have to strip to get a number 1?
Florence and the Machine, Adele, Emeli Sande have all had a huge amount of success and sold so many records without having to take half their clothes off.

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana Del Rey
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just about every one before around the mid-late 90's.

actually i like 'wrecking ball' imho she had no need to strip off.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Lana Del Rey

Those GQ pictures from a few months ago say otherwise.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex sells, always has and always will do. Do they need to do it, probably not, but if they are comfortable about it then why not.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele.

I think, if you sell emo music, no stripping required.

Pop dance music requires sex to sell.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney, Celine and early Mariah.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele.

I think, if you sell emo music, no stripping required.

Pop dance music requires sex to sell.

Well, that's not entirely surprising as club culture is largely about getting together with other people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I felt she did. It was a vulnerable song and we all feel at our most vulnerable when naked. I don't believe she did it to shock people. I think there was a metapahor behind it.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Sex sells, always has and always will do. Do they need to do it, probably not, but if they are comfortable about it then why not.

true... but there are was to look sexy without bareing flesh. its about class.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I blame Madonna. She was the one that seemed to take it to another level. Not everything she did was great.
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Mix
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt she did. It was a vulnerable song and we all feel at our most vulnerable when naked. I don't believe she did it to shock people. I think there was a metapahor behind it.

She should have just left it as the homage to Sinead O'Connor's video ('the directors cut' is exactly this). Straddling a wrecking bell and licking a hammer was just painfully embarrassing.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pink!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it's quite possible to be sexy without going soft core.

And It would be hypocritical of me to say that I only liked Donna Summer and Tina Turner because of their music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I blame Madonna. She was the one that seemed to take it to another level. Not everything she did was great.

I disagree. Madonna allowed women to be able to be sexy and never feel ashamed, and also men as well. She opened people's minds that the human body shouldn't be something to be ashamed about. As well as the fact that sex shouldn't be something to be kept hush about it. If you enjoy sex, why not talk about it with other people. She also allowed broke the taboo of allowing gay sex to be explored and spoken about as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. Madonna allowed women to be able to be sexy and never feel ashamed, and also men as well. She opened people's minds that the human body shouldn't be something to be ashamed about. As well as the fact that sex shouldn't be something to be kept hush about it. If you enjoy sex, why not talk about it with other people. She also allowed broke the taboo of allowing gay sex to be explored and spoken about as well.

I would disagree, she may have done all that within the music industry, but for everyday women, she probably influenced bugger all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avon942 wrote: »
    Little Mix

Little Mix have so far stayed clear of the stripping thing.
    And I really like them as they take their role model position seriously.
    But their personal lives may get a little messy and it will be interesting to see if that is reflected in their image and music.

At the other end of the spectrum are The Pussycat Dolls, who got very sexual in some of their videos. Was that not largely to appeal to males and it seemed to work?

I'm beginning to wonder if this thread and the other one about women don't reflect the difficult path women in pop music have to tread, being at the same time both role models for other women and objects of desire for men?
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is believable, right up until the point where she licks a sledgehammer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would disagree, she may have done all that within the music industry, but for everyday women, she probably influenced bugger all.

I think you'll find that real world women's attitudes to sex has become more assertive over the last 20 years (Fawcett Society Reports?) and Madonna's interests and music reflects that very well. Influence is difficult to assess but Madonna is a great role model in terns of having control over her own destiny.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has always been prevalent. Though Kate Bush was unhappy with it EMI purposefully tried to sell her as a sex kitten I.e the famous Pink Leotard. Women have always faced exploitation and rather than working against it the likes of Miley allow the further exploitation and objectification of women when we should have moved on or at least levelled the playing field
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad thing is that it always does come down to gender though. If Justin timberlake grabs his crotch, it's plain sailing. If Miley does, she's a ****. The only time a male has ever really been given a grilling over "sexy moves" was Elvis when he shaked his hips and it was deemed vulger. Well the only one i know of.

And robin thicke had an easy ride over the infamous VMA performance with Miley. He was as bad as her. She may of been grinidng her bum near his crotch, but he wasn't moving away. Especially for a married man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is that it always does come down to gender though. If Justin timberlake grabs his crotch, it's plain sailing. If Miley does, she's a ****. The only time a male has ever really been given a grilling over "sexy moves" was Elvis when he shaked his hips and it was deemed vulger. Well the only one i know of.

And robin thicke had an easy ride over the infamous VMA performance with Miley. He was as bad as her. She may of been grinidng her bum near his crotch, but he wasn't moving away. Especially for a married man.

Prince may have done, especially with Dirty Mind, dressing in knickers and not much else, it certainly didn't go down well with the Rolling Stones concert fans. Sex was definitely an influence then. Who knows Madonna may have taken influence from Prince, amongst others and thought if he can do it, then I can.

Then there was the song Darling Nikki, which sparked a whole other debate, eventually leading to the parental advisory stickers now on albums.

Later on there was the Lovesexy album, some record stores refused to stock this or wrapped it up in a black cover.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's relatively recent pheneomenon that sprang from pop music pretty much being club music.

When pop music was more melodic it wasn't such an issue. Now it's just big beats and boring as f**k.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuBo ;)