7 royalty cheques that’ll make you lose your faith in the music industry

ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
Forum Member
One source claimed that, on streaming music services, an artist requires nearly 50,000 plays to receive the revenue earned from one album sale.
http://m.aux.tv/news/100455-7-royalty-cheques-that-ll-make-you-lose-your-faith-in-the-music-industry

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/trivium-darkest-hour-members-post-depressing-royalty-cheques-realit/

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music industry (record labels) has been ripping off artist for decades, nothing new there. The only thing that has changed is that it is more publicised and artists have more opportunities to earn independently from the industry.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    It would help if people actually paid for albums, instead of downloading though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    It would help if people actually paid for albums, instead of downloading though.

Not really if the royalty agreement they have with their label is really that pathetic.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    It's sad, isn't it?

The only way to make money as an artist/band is to tour. There is no money in music sales.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    It's better to just write songs for others. Diane Warren is minted, and apparently never leaves her house.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Misleading.

These artists are seeing the result of their labels taking a huge cut from pandora and spotify streaming.

Pandora currently pays about $0.00210 per song play. So the guy with 1.1 million streams got $2,434 in royalties.. and his label took $2,417 of that.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the 70s, there was a movement that tried to break all this.
    Call it punk, call it new wave, call it whatever but the Indie scene and ethos that existed then seems long gone.
    Probably unrepeatable.
    Forum Member
    [blockquote]One source claimed that, on streaming music services, an artist requires nearly 50,000 plays to receive the revenue earned from one album sale.[/blockquote]

Should be noted that 50,000 plays nets the artist $105. That's far more than one album sale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Back in the 70s, there was a movement that tried to break all this.
    Call it punk, call it new wave, call it whatever but the Indie scene and ethos that existed then seems long gone.
    Probably unrepeatable.

There's a movement going today designed to stop this too, actually 2 movements. They are called crowd funding and Bandcamp :p
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    [blockquote]One source claimed that, on streaming music services, an artist requires nearly 50,000 plays to receive the revenue earned from one album sale.[/blockquote]

Should be noted that 50,000 plays nets the artist $105. That's far more than one album sale.

Does that all go to the artist, or does the label take a cut?
    Forum Member
    There's a movement going today designed to stop this too, actually 2 movements. They are called crowd funding and Bandcamp :p

I was somewhat surprised to see this report yesterday. It's not only the unsigned artists who are doing it.

Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian is asking fans to help produce a DVD of his recent spoken word tour.
    Scott’s recent show up in Glasgow was filmed with the intention of putting together a DVD package, but the project needs funding – which is where YOU can come in.

Fan can donate money to the project via a Pledge Campaign Scott has set up, nabbing themselves some awesome prizes that can include catching a New York Yankees game with the man himself, one of his custom guitars and even getting him to play on your band’s next album!

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/scott-ian-launches-pledge-campaign/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was somewhat surprised to see this report yesterday. It's not only the unsigned artists who are doing it.

Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian is asking fans to help produce a DVD of his recent spoken word tour.
    Scott’s recent show up in Glasgow was filmed with the intention of putting together a DVD package, but the project needs funding – which is where YOU can come in.

Fan can donate money to the project via a Pledge Campaign Scott has set up, nabbing themselves some awesome prizes that can include catching a New York Yankees game with the man himself, one of his custom guitars and even getting him to play on your band’s next album!

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/scott-ian-launches-pledge-campaign/

The Beach Boys and Slash have also had crowd funding campaigns. British AOR legends, FM, too. I contributed to that one.
    Forum Member
    Does that all go to the artist, or does the label take a cut?

It goes to the rights holders.. so if the artist signed their rights over to a label, then it's up to the label how much they get.

Pandora says that 44% of the music played is from self-signed artists... those are artists without labels, and they get the whole thing.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's better to just write songs for others. Diane Warren is minted, and apparently never leaves her house.
    Of course she doesn't.

She earned what she did when there was loads of money in the music industry.

There simply isn't anymore, it's much less than there used to be, thanks to piracy, iTunes killing the album (why buy an album when you can buy individual tracks?) and more options on what to spend your "leisure" money on.

And touring is NOWHERE near as lucrative as it used to be. Touring costs have gone up, there's less money in tour support money from labels than there used to be, all deals are 360 so the label will take a percentage, clowns like Ticketmaster get their cut...heritage acts do well but that's about it.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really if the royalty agreement they have with their label is really that pathetic.
    So that excuses you paying for music?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    So that excuses you paying for music?

Who says I don't?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There simply isn't anymore, it's much less than there used to be, thanks to piracy, iTunes killing the album (why buy an album when you can buy individual tracks?) and more options on what to spend your "leisure" money on.

If the album is dying (not convinced it is) it is not because of itunes. It is because of years of albums with 2/3 great songs and 10 mediocre ones. Why buy an album full of filler when you can buy the songs you love?

As for there not being money in the music industry, bollocks. What we are seeing is greater distribution of sales and thus greater distribution of the money because there is so much choice now.

The music listener is becoming more discerning about what they will pay for and that is a good thing for music overall.
    Forum Member

There's always licensing.

David Housden did the soundtrack for Thomas Was Alone, you can buy the album yourself from bandcamp here: http://thomaswasalone.bandcamp.com/

Standard videogame music license is 8 cents per composition, which in this case would be about $1 per game sold.

The game itself has sold more than 700,000 copies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's just the funding model. And actually that form of subscription funding has been around for centuries, especially in the publishing industry. it's just got a new name.

It has puzzled me though. You would expect crowd funding to at least support interesting new musics but we're not hearing it so far it would seem. Perhaps Bandcamp is as subject to the same fragmentation of audience as other media like internet radio and streaming? Or, it is like others suggest and there is simply too much piracy?
    Of course, the 70s are unrepeatable because the past is unrepeatable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just the funding model. And actually that form of subscription funding has been around for centuries, especially in the publishing industry. it's just got a new name.

It has puzzled me though. You would expect crowd funding to at least support interesting new musics but we're not hearing it so far it would seem. Perhaps Bandcamp is as subject to the same fragmentation of audience as other media like internet radio and streaming? Or, it is like others suggest and there is simply too much piracy?
    Of course, the 70s are unrepeatable because the past is unrepeatable.

Bandcamp is a distribution model, not a funding model. One that allows fans to purchase directly from the artist which is the future in my opinion.

I don't think piracy is the massive factor that people like to say it is. There is just simply so much choice in music these days (people have made interesting and creative music from their bedrooms) and the sales are more distributed than ever before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the album is dying (not convinced it is) it is not because of itunes. It is because of years of albums with 2/3 great songs and 10 mediocre ones. Why buy an album full of filler when you can buy the songs you love?

As for there not being money in the music industry, bollocks. What we are seeing is greater distribution of sales and thus greater distribution of the money because there is so much choice now.

The music listener is becoming more discerning about what they will pay for and that is a good thing for music overall.

Unfortunately you are completely wrong on that one, although I'm not sure anyone saw this as it is some what counter intuitive, but actually when there is all this choice people buy more of the same. This is the Guardian article which explains why music listeners aren't all that discerning at all. http://gu.com/p/243mf

In short talent doesn't stretch as far as the web does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bandcamp is a distribution model, not a funding model. One that allows fans to purchase directly from the artist which is the future in my opinion.

I don't think piracy is the massive factor that people like to say it is. There is just simply so much choice in music these days (people have made interesting and creative music from their bedrooms) and the sales are more distributed than ever before.

See above for why you are barking up the wrong tree.....again. The answer is in your own last sentence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately you are completely wrong on that one, although I'm not sure anyone saw this as it is some what counter intuitive, but actually when there is all this choice people buy more of the same. This is the Guardian article which explains why music listeners aren't all that discerning at all. http://gu.com/p/243mf

In short talent doesn't stretch as far as the web does.

But as pointed out in the comments (I often find the comments on the Guardian are more enlightening), looking at the top 100 doesn't prove or disprove the long tail. One needs to look deeper, much deeper, into the bowels of the data to draw any meaningful conclusions.

In any case, I must be a statistical anomaly as I buy the majority of my music from independent sources like Bandcamp and CD Baby. I am not so sure that the long tail is a myth but it may be exaggerated at the moment but as sites like Bandcamp become more popular, I can see that changing. Or maybe I am just a hopeless optimist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would like to see more people employed in the music industry. I don't believe in music just for music's sake, I would like to see British and Irish music at the top of the creative tree again. I don't mean to stifle optimism but I don't think there is a multitude of brilliant artists out there, I just think there are some. And some will make it and some will not. And that's ok. We don"t need lots and lots of good music, we need some brilliant music.