Options

The Anna Mistake

Comments

• Options
    BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth was Kylie thinking putting two interchangeable young blonde guys through.

I think she was being tactical... Sees Rachael as a winner and trying to ease her way to the final.
    On her twitter thread, one of the One Direction boys is supporting her. That's a good few thousand votes she could have bagged.

Owen Quigg (ex X Factor) had 1D Niall tweeting to support him in the Irish Eurovision contest...(Louis Walsh was on the panel.)
    Yet Mr Quigg only came second, out of five.
    The public will always make their own minds up.

BTW I think Will I am made the right choice. .. Both Jermain and Sophie have a strong chance of winning it.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I watched it I thought Will made a really bad decision, however, although her blind audition performance was great with the harp, tonight she did the exact same thing as she did in blinds and also in the battle rounds and probably Will didn't see any more potential from her. I kinda agree. Nice voice, pretty face but gets a bit samey round after round with the harp.

If she would have shown a different side to her, something different, so that she wasn't just 'enya with a harp' I think she was a definite to go through.
  • Options
    lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    The only thing different about Anna was that she played the harp, which I think would have got boring after a while. Very good singer but nothing particularly exceptional, imo.

This sort of comment always baffles me. It's like saying the guitar in Kaiser Chiefs gets boring after a while or the sampling in Will.I.Am gets boring after a while... Anna was a self sufficient artist. She had two talents - singing and playing the harp - and she could perform a whole song without a big band behind her. It's quite amusing how the GBP favour a set of lungs that could blow a house down that will warble their way through any genre of song because they are not well defined over a well rounded performer who already knows who they are.

Same amusement from any journey comments that aren't ironic. Sometimes people are just already good... people moan when we get a mediocre winner but don't want people with natural talent to go through because they can't learn anything (which is b'locks anyway, btw, as we're all always learning).
  • Options
    lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    grazman wrote: »
    When I watched it I thought Will made a really bad decision, however, although her blind audition performance was great with the harp, tonight she did the exact same thing as she did in blinds and also in the battle rounds and probably Will didn't see any more potential from her. I kinda agree. Nice voice, pretty face but gets a bit samey round after round with the harp.

If she would have shown a different side to her, something different, so that she wasn't just 'enya with a harp' I think she was a definite to go through.

But Anna fans like the harp?!

Anna plays the harp and that's what makes her Anna. Perhaps the public could have decided when it got boring. I really don't know what artists people who make these comments enjoy listening to. I can only imagine that they probably skip half the songs on their albums though. If I buy an Anna McLuckie CD, I'm kinda hoping that ALL of the tracks have the harp on them because that is what I would want to hear.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovecat86 wrote: »
    But Anna fans like the harp?!

Anna plays the harp and that's what makes her Anna. Perhaps the public could have decided when it got boring. I really don't know what artists people who make these comments enjoy listening to. I can only imagine that they probably skip half the songs on their albums though. If I buy an Anna McLuckie CD, I'm kinda hoping that ALL of the tracks have the harp on them because that is what I would want to hear.

I agree. I hate this whole thing about people needing to be "versatile" and not being a "one-trick pony". The majority of artists have their particular style that defined them. You wouldn't expect Pavarotti to deviate from singing opera. Eminem will only ever rap. You'd never see Ed Sheeran singing without his guitar and Alicia keys pretty much always plays her piano. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Will might have gone for personality over ability on this one. Anna's vocal ability is far superior to Sophie May's BUT she seems like quite a reserved person and I'm not sure if she could win because of that. Sophie May seems far more relaxed and friendly, so I think if it's tactics then that is why he has chosen her.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I sound her a bit dull. Her voice was slightly better than Sophie May's. Both seemed a bit 'novelty act' to me, but one of them comes unencumbered by a gigantic harp.
  • Options
    alfaalfa Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    It the same with eagles... they may seem great at catching mice... but if you cut their gimmicky wings off they are rubbish at it.

..and those bloody fish..sure some people say they can swim but take away the gimmicky water away and they are useless.

Very Good :p

The show will miss her the most, no doubt. But I think her career is safe. It might have been an idea to do a country and Western, June Carter or Patsy cline number. June Carter sang with an Autoharp. A real harp would have been 'fresh'.
  • Options
    Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    He should have picked Anna over Sophie. Anna has 3.5 million more views of her audition on youtube. You can't argue with that. Sophie bores me

It would be hard to argue with it because it's not even an argument, the video went 'viral', none of her others have. It doesn't mean anything :)
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    I really like Anna's voice it's beautiful but maybe it's just with the harp I haven't heard her with out the harp so I don't know. Maybe Will was worried she'd come across boring in the liveshows.

Will probably couldn't work out how to make a techno dance track using a harp :)
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be hard to argue with it because it's not even an argument, the video went 'viral', none of her others have. It doesn't mean anything :)
    The reason it went viral is because it was an outstanding audition.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    Will probably couldn't work out how to make a techno dance track using a harp :)

I suspect this was an issue. He didn't like her song choice. Also in the live finals he has to sing with her. I couldn't see this working out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the shows producers were kicking themselves when they saw her video went viral in January after Will kicked her out in December
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    It the same with eagles... they may seem great at catching mice... but if you cut their gimmicky wings off they are rubbish at it.

..and those bloody fish..sure some people say they can swim but take away the gimmicky water away and they are useless.

Not quite the same thing though, is it?

It's more like choosing your favourite dog at crufts because it's wearing a bow tie, and then claiming that it would be useless without the pesky bow tie.

This is a singing competition. There are better singers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the shows producers were kicking themselves when they saw her video went viral in January after Will kicked her out in December
    Bet they are kicking themselves now.
  • Options
    bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had a beautiful and haunting voice reminded me of Suzanne Vega - I suspect it is the Voice's loss - she probably does not need the Voice now she has got some exposure.

Must admit I would have picked her but the coaches see more in rehearsals than we do.
  • Options
    crinolinecrinoline Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I think Will chose Sophie May because of the whole 20s thing, he is into that kind of presentation and style of singing. It all seems a bit put on for my liking, and I definitely would have put Anna through.

The point about her playing the harp and being boring is madness to me. That's what she does and that's what she's good at, I don't want to see artists forced into genres and styles that aren't their forte - that's the big problem with The X Factor, imho, in that they have to show something different every week. Rubbish.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Whilst Anna is good, she does seem a one trick pony
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crinoline wrote: »
    I think Will chose Sophie May because of the whole 20s thing, he is into that kind of presentation and style of singing. It all seems a bit put on for my liking, and I definitely would have put Anna through.

The point about her playing the harp and being boring is madness to me. That's what she does and that's what she's good at, I don't want to see artists forced into genres and styles that aren't their forte - that's the big problem with The X Factor, imho, in that they have to show something different every week. Rubbish.

Quite right. They should be allowed to do what they are good at, and not manufactured into something that does not suit them. With the fan base that Anna already has its only a matter of time before someone signs her up.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Quite right. They should be allowed to do what they are good at, and not manufactured into something that does not suit them. With the fan base that Anna already has its only a matter of time before someone signs her up.

I think the problem is that The Voice is comparing all the contestants' ability to sing covers when, in the outside world, what will determine success for many of them is either their ability to write songs that suit their style or on finding a collaborator who can write good stuff for them. Charming as Anna is, I don't think her voice is sufficiently exceptional to stand up against some of the others in round after round of cover contests. However, if she has some original songs up her sleeve I think she could quite possibly make it. And if she can't write songs, but The Voice has helped bring her to the attention of someone who can, then it will have served its purpose.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    But actually I think I understand why...it's why Leverne went in the previous round too. Anna = Sophie = quirky girl...one had to go for the show to focus their attention on and not split any potential vote. That was the brutal decision that was made...Leah was too quirky last year and that would have polarised her fan base.. We have Sophie who can do all sorts of quirky things while getting the votes from the suitable demo. It's either that or my theory #2 - they want a Sally win this year for some reason and want to get rid of her competition.

It's so sad though...I nearly cried seeing Anna go...but I knew it had to happen.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably has a record deal by now, hopefully and will probably do better than the winner if previous years are anything to go by. I do think that is Sally wins, we will have another Leanne
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Edinburgh's news today Anna is quoted as saying:
    - she's going to attend the Royal school of music in Manchester
    - she has no record deal
    - Will said if he'd had a 4th place he'd have put her through
    http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/anna-mcluckie-no-regrets-after-leaving-the-voice-1-3343153
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    I agree. I hate this whole thing about people needing to be "versatile" and not being a "one-trick pony". The majority of artists have their particular style that defined them. You wouldn't expect Pavarotti to deviate from singing opera. Eminem will only ever rap. You'd never see Ed Sheeran singing without his guitar and Alicia keys pretty much always plays her piano. I could go on but I'm sure you get my point.

You can do much more things with a guitar or piano than you could do with a harp, its like a xylophone or a violin for example---it limits what kind of songs you can do, and thats all she offers imo, a harp, a slow song. Her voice isn't unique enough, she doesn't move, every performance would be too much like the last. Its a bit like last years winner, where is she now...bargain bin in your local tescos. You need to offer more than that to be a top artist nowadays and I'm afraid she just didn't show any improvement or versatility for me. One trick pony, I'm afraid so....

Will made the right choice imo.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was average at the very best.

And there was just something about her face that really put me off, it just screamed "antichrist" to me.