Dial-up, a query

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
Just a thought, but is anyone here still using dial-up? In fact, does anyone know anyone who stlll uses dial-up?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    Just a thought, but is anyone here still using dial-up? In fact, does anyone know anyone who stlll uses dial-up?

I am not, but I know of two households that are. one because they got little choice, the others because it is their choice.

I don't even have a phone line now to use dial up, but I was going to try and see if I could put my laptop dial up modem through the VoIP system just for a laugh. It is suppose to work with Fax, so why not dial up? :)

so it would be dial up internet going through broadband internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I still use dial up for certain things although it's mainly all direct access not internet access.
    I have modems connected to customers networks so if the broadband goes down I can dial in and fix it.
    Occasionally I am at a remote site where dial up internet is the only option as there is only a telephone line and no cell coverage and I need to get a configuration file or something from the net
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've used dial-up recently when there was a fault with my broadband

I used to have a PAYG account with BT dial-up as an emergency back up but they closed down their dial up service so I used one called 'FAST' which doesn't require registration or an account...........it was fine for emergency use until my broadband was fixed
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to OFCOM there are still 0.8 million households which are unable to obtain any type of broadband connection.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    there are rural areas use dialup
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    My phone at the edge of tower range (at work :( ) gives me a 15 kb connection if that counts.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use it for access to remote site PCs - when the adsl modems get stuck I use dialup to access the PC and reboot the modem or PC which usually solves the problem,
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine 99 percent of modern websites would be utterly unusable on dial up these days....
  • rj414irj414i Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I know someone who has dial up, his phone company won't supply broadband because their speeds would be so low. circa 0.5meg.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    rj414i wrote: »
    I know someone who has dial up, his phone company won't supply broadband because their speeds would be so low. circa 0.5meg.

0.5 meg was the standard speed when broadband launched i the UK, or not long after
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I know someone who uses dialup because he's a refusenik who won't get broadband or a modern computer. He only recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP! :o He still has the Windows 98 PC and uses it a lot and I get the impression that he's living in 1999 and not 2014. He only recently got a new telly as well; he was watching an old 1980s/early 90s TV set until a few months ago and it was so small you needed a pair of binoculars to watch it.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dial-up - taking 20 mins to download one mp3 track on Napster. Happy days !
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

I've just downloaded the windows 8.1 'upgrade' on my fast broadband........it took two and a half hours

It would have taken about a month on dial-up !........:o
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »

Oh I remember those days - Hours for a whole album.

Painful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    0.5 meg was the standard speed when broadband launched i the UK, or not long after

0.5 meg would have been unimaginably fast. VirginMedia offered 64K broadband back around 2001