DVDs with Ultra Violet - question

CassiniCassini Posts: 2,628
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking to purchase Enders Game for my OH and if possible he would like it with UV as he's trying to build up a UV collection.

Unfortunately I can only find it sold in the UK without UV.

Only American sites seems to sell it with UV and (having tried to purchase another film earlier this year with UV) there may be UK sites with US imports - but none of whom can confirm to me if the code would actually be usable.

I have been unable to find out if I purchased a US import, either here in the UK or direct from the US, if the UV code be usable from here in the UK?

Does anyone know for definite?

thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Us UV codes don't generally work in the UK, but a quick Google check shows people have managed to get round it but it's a bit convoluted.

You need a US IP address, so that means a service like Unblock.us, and an account with a US service like Vudu which it seems you can set up without needing credit card/payment details. But you'd need to switch between a UK address and a US address and UV service each time you want to watch a film streamed with a UK or US code.
  • CassiniCassini Posts: 2,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll just get him a non uv version as I know he won't want all that faff. I do wonder why uv is only available in the US on some DVDs.

Thanks anyway.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cassini wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase Enders Game for my OH and if possible he would like it with UV as he's trying to build up a UV collection.

There's no in trying to build a UV "collection" as a long term investment. At best it's a temporary convenience that I wouldn't expect to still be usable in any useful sense in a few years time.

Here's a comment I made around a year back about why UV- and all these big-studio "digital" (i.e. online) download/streaming schemes suck.

I've got a few files from one of those crap, early "legal" music download sites about ten years ago that require online DRM servers to keep running. Of course, the servers *aren't* running any more (and haven't been for years), so the files aren't playable, even though they should be.

If (say) your UV film is tied to specific models of hardware (e.g. certain models of iPad and Android tablets *currently* on sale), do you think in a few years time the studios- who've lost interest in the scheme and launched a newer one- will graciously let it run on somewhat different and newer ones that they never said it would run on, when they'd rather you had to buy it over again for your new device? Dream on!

Or if your account is authorised to an old device you've thrown out and you need that to transfer the authorisation to a new device? Ooh... tough luck.

Or.... well, see the link above for more. :D