Options

Daughter jealous of new dog

Krispen WahKrispen Wah Posts: 421
Forum Member
While I appreciate anyone giving advice I prefer to hear from anyone who has been in this situation.

I have a fairly typical 11 year old daughter who stays with me at weekends and during some holidays. Obviously she's approaching that 'difficult' age but generally she's well-adjusted with a caring nature.

I'm getting a dog from a rescue centre soon and I took her over for them to meet the other day and whereas it start off well, after about half an hour she went really quite and defensive. I kept asking what was wrong and she said she was ok but I knew something was up. One of the rules of the centre was potential owners need a few visits with the dog to get acquainted so of course I was paying him a lot of attention but including her in it as well. On the way home I could hear her quietly sniffling and I knew she was crying - I figured she was worried I'd prefer the dog or that I wouldn't love her as much etc.

I was looking on her laptop the other day and in her search history was the line "girl gets left out when family gets dog".

I know she likes dogs and in the days leading up to the visit (and to the point when she started going quiet really) she was very enthusiastic about him. I told her he'd be part of the family and she'd be taking him for a walk, helping to train him etc and she seemed really on-board but after the way she reacted plus what she'd been searching on-line for it seem clear there may be some jealousy issues. When I was in a previous relationship there were children involved who saw me in a kind of 'dad' role and my daughter never had an issue with that, she was perfectly fine so I was surprised that what's happening now.

Like I said she's approaching her teens so her emotions could be playing a part in this but I was wondering if anyone else has experience of this and how it was dealt with.

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I know you said you'd prefer to hear from people in a similar position (and I don't know how many on here have been tbh), my one thought was that she is worrying about what she thinks might happen based on one supervised visit. The element of the unknown perhaps is upsetting her as she won't know how the time you spend together will change (if it will change at all). Maybe she has been told in the past that dogs are a big commitment (which they are) and so she sees your time together as no longer exclusive time with you IYSWIM. I know you said you were in a previous relationship with other children also part of the family, but times and feelings change and perhaps she prefers you to herself, esp as you say emotions with teenage years approaching.

Perhaps you could book in some events just for her and you so she has something to look forward to?

I know when we got our dog, the kids imagined a puppy akin to a soft toy, and what we got was a pup that liked to chew, with sharp puppy teeth that liked to chase feet. Their perceptions didn't match reality and to be fair, I'd not had a dog before (although Mr Python did) so it was an unknown. Now though we would not be without her and the dog and kids are great friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes thanks, I've considered all that.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply she needs time to bond, and maybe getting a dog right now just isn't right?
    If all are not happy then there will be tension, and she will hate the dog.

You can't please everyone.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dog will be living with you all the time and maybe that's why she's jealous. She's cottoned on to how much time and effort will be devoted to the dog. She's probably worried it will eat into time spent with you when she comes over and may restrict activities. Silly but you know how children worry over things like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all - I'm pretty much aware of how she's feeling, I'm just looking for advice from anyone in a similar position on how they dealt with it subsequently.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a teenage daughter or a dog but I have brought up a teenager. What happens is this. All sorts of things crop up and parents worry themselves silly and think up all sorts of complicated things, and then everything just works itself out by itself.

Reassure her that nothing will ever change between you two no matter what and it will work itself out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FilliA wrote: »
    I don't have a teenage daughter or a dog but I have brought up a teenager. What happens is this. All sorts of things crop up and parents worry themselves silly and think up all sorts of complicated things, and then everything just works itself out by itself.

Again this is why I prefer to hear from people who have experienced this. As a parent I am not prepared to take the risk that 'everything just works itself out'. Too much potential for things to not work themselves out so I want to do everything I can to ensure that doesn't happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reassure her that nothing will ever change between you two no matter what and it will work itself out.

Agree with the above.

Just don't make it such a big deal. Its only a dog. Don't overthink all this. Get the dog settled in and see what happens. Allow her to pick the bed or something if that will help her. An 11 year old girl should be excited about a dog not jealous. I have a girl the same age. It will be fine, she will love the dog. Storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    This is not your situation Im referring to by the way but the ten year old me, whos dad left and he bought himself a cat. I felt cheated because the way he was with the cat was the way he should have been with me. She will love the dog of course, but there might be things she has to take out on you for a while, teenager become teenagers early these days. Don't take it personally
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    People feel left out several times in their life time. She has to get used to it sooner or later.

Dogs encourage adult responsibilities and the importance of routines.

Communication is the key to ease fears and worries.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Agree with the above.

Just don't make it such a big deal.
    People feel left out several times in their life time. She has to get used to it sooner or later.

Dogs encourage adult responsibilities and the importance of routines.

Communication is the key to ease fears and worries.

This. Whether you want to hear it or not, or would prefer to hear otherwise. You're making it a big deal.

Also, the search phrase "girl gets left out when family gets dog" brings up pages about dog attacks and then pages about typical troubled teens. A few pages about dogs feeling left out creep in there but not the other way around. Not sure your daughter will have got the answer she wanted, either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    This. Whether you want to hear it or not, or would prefer to hear otherwise. You're making it a big deal.

It isn't a case of 'whether I want to hear it or not', in situations such as these I prefer to hear the experiences of others rather than those hypothetical but well-intentioned.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...I prefer to hear the experiences of others rather than those hypothetical but well-intentioned.
    Why have you deduced jealousy is the root cause of your child's worries? It doesn't seem clear to me at all. I don't think jealousy and insecurity are the same thing and I think your daughter is feeling insecure - you're moving on with your life and she sees herself being left outside.

I realise it isn't what you want to hear because I am not a parent with a young child who appears to be resenting the imminent arrival of a pet but I was a child with worries and insecurities once. And so were most of the people who've responded and whose comments you're disregarding because they are not what you want to read.

It's all very well waiting for people who have had exactly the same situation to deal with - and the subtext in your comments seems to be "and were exactly of the same mindset as you" but could any apparent inflexibility and lack of openness to other views be a contributory factor to your relationship with your child? Because her worries about the dog and being "left behind" don't really relate to your relationship with the dog but absolutely relate to her relationship with you - and possibly other adults in her life.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It isn't a case of 'whether I want to hear it or not', in situations such as these I prefer to hear the experiences of others rather than those hypothetical but well-intentioned.

So you would rather an empty thread? (If no one has experience) Rather than some advice that may still help?

Not meant to sound sarcastic if it does
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    So you would rather an empty thread? (If no one has experience) Rather than some advice that may still help?

Introducing a new dog to a family isn't uncommon so I'm fairly certain others will have similar experiences which is why I posted here in the first place.

I'm not discounting everyone else's view, it's just for certain issues I tend to feel those who have been through it too would be a little more appropriate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »

It's all very well waiting for people who have had exactly the same situation to deal with - and the subtext in your comments seems to be "and were exactly of the same mindset as you" but could any apparent inflexibility and lack of openness to other views be a contributory factor to your relationship with your child? Because her worries about the dog and being "left behind" don't really relate to your relationship with the dog but absolutely relate to her relationship with you - and possibly other adults in her life.

I appreciate what you say however I don't feel the direction of this thread should be about my relationship with her - I wouldn't even have considered getting a dog had there been anything to worry about. I've cultivated a homelife where she is always encouraged to talk to me about worries and concerns if she wants to. This is why I *knew* she was bothered about something despite doing her best to hide it.

As such I'm more looking at the subject of what other parents who have experienced this sort of thing did to handle the situation.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair enough. But speaking from experience the green eyed monster has paid me a lot of visits over the years. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. But speaking from experience the green eyed monster has paid me a lot of visits over the years. ;-)

Oh yeah, I'm pretty much convinced jealous plays a part in this. As mentioned above it's not a case of my asking what is behind it but how to subsequently deal with it the right way for both of us.

I stress I know my daughter well enough to say with absolute certainty that the jealousy/insecurity won't ever cause her to harm the new dog, just in case that's suggested.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate what you say however I don't feel the direction of this thread should be about my relationship with her...
    I quite agree - but my point was that the dog is probably not the problem - it is just the hook that was available to her to hang her worries off. Jealousy isn't necessarily the correct diagnosis.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Just ask her what the issue is. If its such a big deal dont get the dog.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think its jealousy but know she won't harm the dog then the next move is your call. You either forget the dog because its unfair on your daughter or you get the dog and allow her to participate in everything about it. You just can't waste time fretting about what could happen.

Allow her to pick a bed, choose the lead and collar, help with planning walks and nice days out with the dog.

Seriously I can't see why she could still be jealous if she is included with everything. She is 11, I just think you are over thinking and worrying to much. Ce la vie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »

Allow her to pick a bed, choose the lead and collar, help with planning walks and nice days out with the dog.

Yes, I've already done that and she seems happy with the idea.
    Just ask her what the issue is. If its such a big deal dont get the dog.
    I kept asking what was wrong and she said she was ok but I knew something was up.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    OP I think from what you have said, wanting to hear from others who have had the same problem, well I think you'll find it difficult to find someone who has the same circumstances and had the same problem as you on here, that will then see this thread and respond to it. Even then, they will be different people to you and your daughter, different ways of dealing with stuff, different reactions, and what might have worked for them might not work for you. You sound wary of making a cock-up but no-one here can give you a guarantee that it'll all be ok.

So, I would say trust your own judgement. It may be your daughter just doesn't like change, I don't know, but you are the best placed to know than us on here. If she says she's ok, it may be she doesn't want to upset you, it may even be she doesn't have the words to describe how she feels. She might not even know how she feels herself and is confused. I think all you can do is talk to her about it and see if you can figure it out between you.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mean to be dismissive of your concerns but based on my experience ,you are worrying about this far too much and she is probably off boasting to her friends about her lovely new dog so much that they start pestering their parents for dogs. Teenagers get upset about so many things, its all the end of the world and the worst thing ever......then 5 mins later it's fine and you get a dirty look for bringing it up.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Get her a cat instead. If you think she wont bond with a dog its not fair to the dog.So get her a kitten theres plenty in rescuses.