Options

Highest a team can finish

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
Forum Member
I am saw I saw a link on here to a site that showed the highest and lowest a team can finish.

Does anyone have the link still?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if this is the one that was posted before but this site does what you want:

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/runin.html
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Thats the one.

Thank you
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen this before. Good spot, thanks, will keep it bookmarked.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this take fixtures into account? Hard to believe that Palace could still finish 20th
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this take fixtures into account? Hard to believe that Palace could still finish 20th

I think that 20th place scenario for Palace assumes that lose all their remaining matches and everyone else (behind them) wins all their remaining matches.
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    I think that 20th place scenario for Palace assumes that lose all their remaining matches and everyone else (behind them) wins all their remaining matches.

But that can't happen because some of them are playing each other
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that can't happen because some of them are playing each other

Notice the emphasis on the word think in my last post.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crystal Palace can not finish 20th now, because Cardiff and Sunderland have to win every game to finish above Crystal Palace, but Cardiff still have to play Sunderland.

Nevertheless it is still a useful guide to use.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they can, but only in an otherworldly scenario. Effectively they are are well clear, baring the truly bizare happening (top teams giving points to all the lower teams etc)

EG Sunderland can finish on 41, and any team above them can finish on 41 or higher, so that could in a crazy string of results mean Palace go down. Its not going to happen though, same as Everton winning the league.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Acc to that Liverpool can still finish outside the top 4 could ya imagine :D:D

Although it's actually impossible surely, given City play Everton yet?
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the fixtures are played the possible combinations of results will shrink massively and accordingly after the next round of fixtures I suspect there will be a fair degree of tightening in those possible finishes. When there are 5 games left the highest and lowest finishes are informed more by results elsewhere than your own, given you could be slated for a highest of 6th with 5 wins but results elsewhere result in it being more probably somewhere like 9th.

Couldn't have put it less simply had I tried :D
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to laugh at the Sunderland finishing 11th stat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I had to laugh at the Sunderland finishing 11th stat!

Yeah obviously this is impossible too.

As is Everton finishing first.

It's misleading so I don't see point in it myself tbh
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leicester- highest finish: 1st, Lowest finish: 2nd

:cool:
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Leicester- highest finish: 1st, Lowest finish: 2nd

:cool:

Luton Town- Highest finish: 1st, Lowest finish: 1st

:cool: :cool:
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Acc to that Liverpool can still finish outside the top 4 could ya imagine :D:D

Although it's actually impossible surely, given City play Everton yet?

If Everton and Arsenal win all their matches and Liverpool lose all their matches.

City can afford to drop those 3 points against Everton and still make up 7 points on Liverpool from their other 4 matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    If Everton and Arsenal win all their matches and Liverpool lose all their matches.

City can afford to drop those 3 points against Everton and still make up 7 points on Liverpool from their other 4 matches.

Indeed

Not to be negative or any of that (;p) but it's so pointless, right now. In my opinion and all that of course. Like Liverpool losing all their games is frankly never ever gonna happen lets be honest. Neither is Palace coming bloody 20th!!! Or Sunderland coming 11th, Everton 1st!

So I don't see how it has any use, with a bit to go in season. It's not one bit realistic.

I'd say it could well prove handy though when there's about 2 matches left in fairness. Will def keep an eye out for it then :)
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astonishing to think Southampton can still finish 15th, Sunderland 11th and Man Utd 3rd, assuming they can as it didn't look convincing to me at a quick glance.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astonishing to think Southampton can still finish 15th, Sunderland 11th and Man Utd 3rd, assuming they can as it didn't look convincing to me at a quick glance.

It can't be right as it shows we can finish higher or lower than 4th. That in itself shows it's not all it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    It can't be right as it shows we can finish higher or lower than 4th. That in itself shows it's not all it's cracked up to be.

It'll only be handy with about 2 games to go imo, when you're looking at all sorts of permutations! Right now, it's silly (e.g Liverpool coming 5th!!!)