Different volume levels on different channels and when the ads come on - in this age!

2»

Comments

• StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom HAS indeed raised this issue, in response to viewer complaints. I can't find the reference, but it was in a complaint bulletin around a year ago. They pointed out that some channels were particularly guilty, and while they might be within the technical requirements re sound levels, adverts were tweaking the dynamic range, and so appearing to be much louder. I think (but might be wrong) that Ofcom said that they would insert changes on the next revision of the technical standards.

So, it's certainly worth complaining to Ofcom if some channels are doing this again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    This site:-

http://www.bpr.org.uk/

has a relevant document under the "News" page
    Programme Loudness Metering, EBU Review Feature

Some other reading at the end of the document.

Its an old problem, and I can't see it getting better in the current de-regulated multi-channel world.

P.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djcr wrote: »
    It does my nut in, especially when i'm chilling out lying accross the sofa and the remotes for adjusting the audio are the other side of the room.

In the old days they had a similar problem with changing the channel.....They invented the remote! Thing is it only works well when you kept it next to you, perhaps if you read the instructions for your remotes it will say its best to not have them on the other side of the room.

Maybe a small side table or be really slobby and have them on the arm of the chair.

I reckon that will sort the problem out for you when you want to change the volume.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it not the case that they keep the volume on the ads on the highest permitted level, but show the actual programmes well below?
    As a result we turn up the volume to be able to hear the bloody thing & when the commercial break comes on, then BLAM!
    We run for the remote while some chunky bird shouts at us to use Veet in something called the 'shah-wah' or something.

They've kept the volume within legal limits, so its our fault the things are too loud!

Crafty bugg*rs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    Is it not the case that they keep the volume on the ads on the highest permitted level, but show the actual programmes well below?
    As a result we turn up the volume to be able to hear the bloody thing & when the commercial break comes on, then BLAM!
    We run for the remote while some chunky bird shouts at us to use Veet in something called the 'shah-wah' or something.

They've kept the volume within legal limits, so its our fault the things are too loud!

Crafty bugg*rs!

No, it isn't. The level is the same, the dynamic range is different. If they changed the level, OFCOM would complain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    The Committee of Advertising Practice has launched a consultation on this very subject. See here:

http://www.cap.org.uk/cap/Consultations/open/TV_ad_sound_levels/

One of the problems is that whilst it is quite simple to meter and monitor the peak levels of commercials and programmes, it is more difficult to technically monitor the relative loudness... even though it is obvious to us mere mortals. This consultation is seeking to revise the rules governing the levels and loudness of commercials.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I'm really fed up with having to turn the volume down at breaks, and then back up again after them, so as not to wake my kids up, but so that I can hear the movie I'm watching.

I mostly notice this problem on ITV channels, normally ITV1, but tonight on ITV4. (I have ntl/Virgin Media cable).

I've made complaints directly before, which falls on deaf ears (too much ITV obviously!;)), but they always say that tests have shown this not to be true, so their tests obviously need some attention.

I'm so fed up that I've signed the Downing Street "Adverts Volume" e-Petition....

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/advertsvolume

May I suggest we ALL sign this in case it is a way of getting our concern heard.

Best Rgds, Dave
  • JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    snapey999 wrote: »
    The Paramount channels are the worst offenders. I swear they decrease the program volume so that the adverts are shockingly loud.

I agree. You're absolutely right. Other channels are also offenders but Paramount is the worst.

SO....just sent this email off to them:

Hello Paramount.

I love your channel and your programming but I despise your apparent technical inability to balance your sound levels to a reasonable level. It's really unprofessional.

It's got to such a point that I'm changing channels when your commercial breaks arrive.

I'm sure you're going to argue that it's to do with sound compression...I work in the audio industry and that arguement doesn't wash with me or others who know the industry.

If this continues, I'll copy this email to each of your advertisers, complaining about the situation and forward every complaint I make to Ofcom asking them to investigate.

James Arniston

Right....where's my MP's address. Is this the way to spell "disembowel"?!?!?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    My technique is simply to mute the adverts