Options

My sugar level could be high

THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
Forum Member
I've just had to have a second blood test, as after my blood test at my annual health review a few week ago showed my sugar level as high. So the nurse gave me another blood test this morning just to confirm this. I am quite worried as I'm going on holiday on Sunday and I won't get the results of the blood test this week as I'm won't be returning home until Saturday June 25 next week. What will I be expected to do if it is diabetes?
Ian.

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to cut back by diet is the first port of call. Reduce your carb intake and no non diet fizxy drinks. Dont eat too much fruit and cut back on beer.

That will start you off on the right track.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above: cut out everything containing sugar and refined starch. As a general rule, that means bread, cake, anything in a tin or jar, alcoholic and fizzy drinks and also drastically reduce potato and similar.

My friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and effectively cured himself by doing the above. Of course it's a life choice: if you prefer to carry on eating junk foods and don't mind the risk of losing eyesight, toes, limbs or having a heart attack...
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This website may help, it also has a forum.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above: cut out everything containing sugar and refined starch. As a general rule, that means bread, cake, anything in a tin or jar, alcoholic and fizzy drinks and also drastically reduce potato and similar.

My friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and effectively cured himself by doing the above. Of course it's a life choice: if you prefer to carry on eating junk foods and don't mind the risk of losing eyesight, toes, limbs or having a heart attack...

You don't have to cut them out, just reduce them. I immediately switched to diet or zero drinks, sugar free squash and switched to brown bread from white. I cut back on rice and pasta but haven't cut them out completely. I have cut down on chocolate & cake but still have them as a treat - and sometimes I do need the boost to bring up my sugar levels. Last blood sugar reading a couple of weeks ago was OK so I'm doing fine in managing it.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    You don't have to cut them out, just reduce them. I immediately switched to diet or zero drinks, sugar free squash and switched to brown bread from white. I cut back on rice and pasta but haven't cut them out completely. I have cut down on chocolate & cake but still have them as a treat - and sometimes I do need the boost to bring up my sugar levels. Last blood sugar reading a couple of weeks ago was OK so I'm doing fine in managing it.

That's exactly what I do
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »

Or you could try brown rice and brown pasta.