Ashes 2013-2014 terrestrial TV highlights

124»

Comments

• Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come back to us when they show premium live sport content on a regular basis.

But that's obviously never going to happen. I'm just amused that every time anyone mentioned that anything at all like this might ever get shown on Pick TV then people were mocked. And now it's happening.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this is a last resort - probably to keep the masses sweet - to show the highlights on Pick as none of the terrestrial broadcasters were prepared to pay the price Sky charged to show at the time stipulated by them.

Also there is no HD viewing option for Pick and in an age where HD viewing is the way forward, is that really a good idea to show sport on this particular channel?
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    But that's obviously never going to happen. I'm just amused that every time anyone mentioned that anything at all like this might ever get shown on Pick TV then people were mocked. And now it's happening.

+1 :D

It might be better for Sky's public relations if they simply renamed the channel Sky Free, Sky Lite or something and used it to showcase some of their stuff on the pay channels. Could be the first show of a new series as a teaser....could be somewhere to dump all the old stuff + sports highlights when they've finished with them.

But I'd like to see them using Saturday afternoons for a revamped "Grandstand" showing bits of some live stuff and recorded stuff.

Of course, never happen, will it :rolleyes: :p
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmm maybe next it will be, Sky Sports gets the fledgling European Games and Pick TV gets the FTA rights...laughs
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Sven945 wrote: »

Not really, people constantly say Pick should show top level live sports, highlights of an event that concluded over 12 hours ago, and only an hour before the next day, is hardly the same.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am disappointed that the Beeb were priced out of the market for highlights this time, as it would be the 'icing on the cake' for their very comprehensive radio and online coverage. Take this kind of thing, for example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25031348 - the addition of clip-rights would really boost their online offering.

In this respect, 2006-7 was probably the best we had as it was all very well put together by the Beeb: live radio and online coverage through the night, online clip highlights in the morning along with the TMS podcast and various online comment, and then the full highlights in the evening alongside a preview on the TV, linking into TMS' coverage the following day. Very well thought through and delivered, although the TV programme was possibly unnecessarily over-produced (with Bhasin's live links) and thus expensive.

Although I loved the ITV programme last time around (and it obviously cost a fraction of the BBC's 06-07 programme), there was a slight lack of synergy with the radio coverage and was more stand-alone. The Beeb's offering this year is excellent - TV highlights, especially with the online exploitation that this would bring, would have topped it off marvellously. A pity that it couldn't happen.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, people constantly say Pick should show top level live sports, highlights of an event that concluded over 12 hours ago, and only an hour before the next day, is hardly the same.

Perhaps, that's not what I was referring to.

What I was referring to was things like your reaction in post 17to someone saying that Pick TV "might" show the highlights to this, to which you replied with four rolled eyes smileys. Similar responses from people when I have previously mentioned that it might end up on Pick TV.

The deal with only allowing highlights after 10pm was clearly about Sky wanting control over the broadcast. This way they get full control. It makes sense. It wasn't inevitable, but it was always an option.